13 1/2 Inch Walrus/W-2 Bowie in the Japanese Style -Photos Added

Here's a large Bowie knife incorporating some stylistic elements and fittings from the Japanese style.

The Bowie blade is 13 1/2 inches of W-2 in a Shinobi-zukuri style with Hitatsura hamon.

Habaki and Fushi are patinated silicon bronze. Seppa are brass.

The rust browned wrought iron Guard is somewhat Tsuba influenced with stylized bamboo piercings.

The Walrus core handle is wrapped in brown silk Ito.

A special Paul Long sheath will follow.

Here's photo by PointSeven taken at Blade.

07c11d6d.jpg

Here 'tis on a little stand made of antique heart pine cut before 1895, with a "square-toed" sheath- Cho-Musubi "Butterfly" Sageo knot.

0f0f75b0.jpg

Thanks to Stuart Branson for inspiration and advice. He is not responsible for my shortcomings.

2f7988c5.jpg

46cd99c5.jpg

This is quite different from my usual resolutely traditional work. In the spirit of the long-running discussion thread, I do welcome your thoughts on this exploration.

John

Last edited:
my favourite White knife to this date- and there are a great many favourites. Well done sir!

I love it John!! I almost like looking at the disassembled photo more as you can see the quality of the individual components.

Excellent wrap and a very fitting hamon. Tremendous piece.

I love how the lower bevel is very Japanese looking but the upper bevel has an unmistakeably western line.

D@mn I wish I could see this in person.

John that is spectacular. I can't even believe it. Just awesome. That hamon...

No katakiri engraving?? :) How was the class?

Last night on Blade Forums live chat there was a discussion about Mastersmiths and all the things that go along with the title. You sir are over qualified. You never cease to amaze, impress and inspire me.

Oh yeah, cool knife:D

You possess a phenomenal amount of talent John. That is a stunning piece of work. I'm in awe of your work.

John,
That is super cool. I look forward to seeing it at blade. I would say you knocked it out of the park.

Back