154CM or D2

I'm looking at getting a Benchmade Griptilian. I'd like to get one with D2 steel, but I'd like to know where its made. If D2 is not US made I will buy the 154CM version. Does anybody know where Benchmade's D2 steel is made?

Here in the US. I don't think there is any Chinese-made D2, as it would have a different designation. Maybe German-made, but that's not a bad thing at all (just like the M390, which is German compared to CTS-204P, which is the American version of M390).

There are many companies that make d2 or equivalent. The Chinese do make it, and call it d2, but their actual designation is probably different.

Out of the two? Eh... I'd probably take d2. I really dig Benchmade 154cm, but just for the sake of something a little different I'd go with the tool steel. Plus you *can* patina it, even though it is pretty resistant to staining.

I love the 154 CM on my Emerson and assume the Benchmade would be similar. The only reason I would consider the D2 steel is I can buy the knife at Cabelas and handle the actual knife I'm going to buy.

I dunno where D2 is made as used in their knives, but I love how it slices. If BKC uses it for their blades it comes with the famous guarantee so no worries. On keeping an edge, the trick is to touch it up more often; when it goes dull it's hard to bring back. I own an Edge Pro but LifeSharp is my best friend if I run out of patience.

D2 isn't hard to sharpen, idk where that notion came about but don't buy into it. Diamond stones take care of it very well. Its as easy to sharpen d2 as it is m390 or zdp in my book. I prefer d2 over s30v 154cm vg10 elmax bg42 and so on. Its not the cream of the crop, but I feel it doesn't get the credit it deserves.

From the Benchmade website.

154CM: An American made premium grade stainless steel originally developed for tough industrial applications. Known for its best all-around qualities, it offers great corrosion resistance with good toughness and edge quality.

D2: An air-hardened tool steel, which offers good corrosion resistance and excellent mileage in wear resistance. A good choice for hard use applications.

What do you plan on using your knife for and in what environment?

Notice that 154cm offers great corrosion resistance vs. good for D2.

Its not going to have much hard use. Its just something else to put in my pocket when I want something other than my Emerson or ZT. My Emerson gets 90% of my pocket time.

Crucible is an American company, I think they make 154CM and S30V and so on. Well now I just need to figure out what steel I want.

I would choose D2. It's a great steel for knife blades and is very tough stuff. And although technically it's not considered a stainless steel , it is often referred to as a "semi-stainless" steel. Stainless steel requires a chromium content of at least 13%. D2 has 12% chromium so it's very close. I live directly on the ocean and I have yet to see even the slightest bit of discoloration in any of my D2 blades.

154cm is pretty nice steel too. A little soft IMO but easy to sharpen. D2 can take a wicked edge and holds it for significantly longer without much touch up.

I prefer the D2 in my Cabela's Grippie over the one I have in CM154. Easier to sharpen and it has a 'bite' that CM154 does not. Both will get hair-popping sharp, but the D2 seems to hold an edge longer.

If you have the budget and willing to maintain, then I would say D2. It has more Carbon and has Vanadium that aids in creating smaller carbide. D2, as Wolverine666 has mentioned that slightly lack in Chromium (14% vs. 12 %) also contains Nickel (mere .3% :( ) which also aides in acidic corrosion resistance. Per BM chart, HRC is 60~62 compare to 58~61 of 154CM/

I think D2 is more resilient than 154CM. YMMV thogh.

Thanks,
MFL

I've owned both and prefer the D2. To me it takes a greater edge and seems to hold it slightly longer. I like sharpening it better too, even though people say it's a rough steel to sharpen.

No issues with either.

Both hold and edge, both have shown corrosion resistence.

I have both and can't remember a single issue with either.

If one is going to maintain the blade not sure it will ever be a serious issue.

I was just at Cabelas here in MN and they had both the 154cm and D2 versions. My 154 551 Has yet to fail me.

Back