-

Looks like a Wedge pattern! If I had to hazard a guess at who made it I'd say Snow & Nealley since most of the unmarked Maine-made heads out there can ultimately be traced back to them, but of course could be someone else. Has the appearance of a Maine-made axe with that almost linear eye-to-poll trajectory. The Maine-made heads tend to be thin in the eye walls and broad/heavy in the poll because of it, even on patterns not of Maine origin like the Wedge is.

I think it is closer to a Maine pattern, or maybe half wedge. The way the cheeks sweep back smoothly on this one, they are not a straight line at all.

I have a number of old Snow & Nealley's and a number of full wedge pattern axe heads.

The eye on my Snow & Nealley 2.5lb is real close to this size, but the side pattern is much different, the S&N's I have seen are very much Maine patterns.
Maines have a curved jawline, though it's not as clearly defined as on something like a Dayton or Yankee. It's worth noting that different makers did have variations within the look of their own patterns over time, plus accounting for wear (most Wedges and related are nowhere near mint) so examples you've seen may have been from the same company, different period, or different degrees of wear, or both. Without seeing it in person I'll have to take your word on the Half Wedge vs. Wedge since basically the only difference between those was how thick they were, and that's something subtle enough it's hard to communicate through photos.

Other possible makers include basically any of the Maine shops. Emerson & Stevens, Dunn Edged Tool Co., King, Spiller, etc. -- it definitely has the look of a Maine-made axe. If not, it was made by a company that copied the style closely.

Usually absence of a mark means it was a paper label, often under private labeling for a regional hardware store or whatnot. It was what allowed two shops across the street from one another to carry tools from the same company without being in direct competition.

Back