1st Friday Production Updates

Silver, you are the S!K expert on the methods and timeline but in the other thread on the 2.7's there were several of us who saw the "couple months" in the sale, and the words "Pre-sale" for those which is why I (and a few others) pulled the trigger and bought one. The "couple months" for shipping was S!K's verbage, not mine. I'm only going by what I saw when they were up for sale. I hope I'm right. I do not want to wait a year or two for mine.

Yes, I did miss that part. I hope you're right, as well :thumbup:

Yes, I did miss that part. I hope you're right, as well :thumbup:

I checked the thread. Page 2. A bunch of us mentioning the two month promise to ship and the words "pre-sale" so I wasn't dreaming. :D

Hale Storm,
I was asking the same question back in the 4.1 thread a week or so ago and here's Ellie's answer.

The preorders from many moons ago will be first priority. Presale orders will come next. After those have all shipped the knives will be available for regular ordering each Monday. Factory 2nds pop up on Mondays, as we come across them while working on the firsts.

I know it's a bit unconventional, but we know a lot of folks can't or won't make it to the Monday sales. The preordering and presales are a way to try and help those people out.

Hope that helps to clear things up?

T.

That does clear it up. In Ellie's own words. THANKS

Originally Posted by SURVIVE! Ellie View Post

The preorders from many moons ago will be first priority. Presale orders will come next. After those have all shipped the knives will be available for regular ordering each Monday. Factory 2nds pop up on Mondays, as we come across them while working on the firsts.

I know it's a bit unconventional, but we know a lot of folks can't or won't make it to the Monday sales. The preordering and presales are a way to try and help those people out.

So Iwas right I guess. Preorders are already shipping because I've seen all the 2.7's in the wild. Presales are next!!!!!

I'm sorry if I'm sounding argumentative, I'm just getting mixed up in some of the updates.

First, are there still people who need 4.7 preorders? I didn't think we were past the summer of 2015 orders? Can anyone with a 4.7 order confirm this or prove me wrong? If I'm right, the production schedule and newsletter say the 4.7's are still first, right? I thought I read somewhere that some 2.7's might get slipped in here and there between 4.7's.

Second, the way I interpreted page two of the 2.7 thread was that the preSALES were still placed behind preORDERS. If I'm wrong then SURVIVE! should proceed however they feel is right, but if I'm still waiting on the 2.7 I ordered in the summer of 2015 should the people who ordered in the summer of 2016 get theirs first?

Reading this, I do sound like I'm arguing, I just don't know how else to get my thoughts out. I hope all those really anxious to get that perfect knife get it as soon as possible!

I'm sorry if I'm sounding argumentative, I'm just getting mixed up in some of the updates.

First, are there still people who need 4.7 preorders? I didn't think we were past the summer of 2015 orders? Can anyone with a 4.7 order confirm this or prove me wrong? If I'm right, the production schedule and newsletter say the 4.7's are still first, right? I thought I read somewhere that some 2.7's might get slipped in here and there between 4.7's.

Second, the way I interpreted page two of the 2.7 thread was that the preSALES were still placed behind preORDERS. If I'm wrong then SURVIVE! should proceed however they feel is right, but if I'm still waiting on the 2.7 I ordered in the summer of 2015 should the people who ordered in the summer of 2016 get theirs first?

Reading this, I do sound like I'm arguing, I just don't know how else to get my thoughts out. I hope all those really anxious to get that perfect knife get it as soon as possible!

I have preorder for a 4.7 awaiting fulfillment from June 2015.

I don't think that's what they meant. You should get your preorder first before people like me who only bought during the presale gets mine. Well thank you guys for taking the time. I asked a question and it went into line of questions and answers. Now I know what to expect for my 2.7 order.

I have preorder for a 4.7 awaiting fulfillment from June 2015.
This is what I was thinking, but couldn't confirm. I didn't know if 4.7's were finding their homes but all the talk was shifting towards newer things or if we just didn't have 4.7's to talk about. If 4.7's from June through ordering closing still have to go out then we're probably looking at more time passing before true focus can be given to other models.

I always thought all the 4.7s are out by now.
Like I was saying above, I wasn't totally sure about the reason by the radio silence on the 4.7's. We know a lot of models are inching towards the finish line and there's been updates and excitement about those. I still believe we have yet to see the big flood of 4.7's going out, but I'm sure it's coming. After that we'll really see focus on other models.

This is what I was thinking, but couldn't confirm. I didn't know if 4.7's were finding their homes but all the talk was shifting towards newer things or if we just didn't have 4.7's to talk about. If 4.7's from June through ordering closing still have to go out then we're probably looking at more time passing before true focus can be given to other models.

Like I was saying above, I wasn't totally sure about the reason by the radio silence on the 4.7's. We know a lot of models are inching towards the finish line and there's been updates and excitement about those. I still believe we have yet to see the big flood of 4.7's going out, but I'm sure it's coming. After that we'll really see focus on other models.

Well, Silver is the resident expert here but I think I have this figured out. I spent all night tossing and turning in bed thinking about getting my 2.7 at the end of this month.
IIRC the quote about the 2.7 "pre Sale" was that a batch was coming in and there would be extras so they were sold during this presale AND the wait time would only be two months which is why all of us that bought one jumped in. The two month wait time quote came directly from S!K and I'm not the only one who saw it and bought the 2.7 because of it. If you go back to that page 2 0f the 4.7 thread, I was actually whining about missing out on Monday sales of the blade because I had blown it off at first, then decided I really wanted one (NEEDED one :D) and was lamenting the price of one on the secondary market. Then I saw the presales were available, it was only a two month wait and bought one in the only handle color they had left. Then they sold out right after that.

Also, IIRC, the extra 2.7's offered in the pre sale were put out there in lieu of the Monday sales thread so we could order one if we were unable to be in on the Monday sales thread, which I am not since I'm at work and cannot access BF.

I'm ASSUMING, based on the super high Quality Control that goes into any S!K order, that Guy and Ellie would always order extra blades to make sure that once the final product is out, they have enough 1st's to cover all the orders. That appears to be the case and is common sense, and the reason the Monday sales thread exists.They already know they will have 2nds in every batch so they must estimate that. I do the same thing when ordering supplies. That way if something I'm building does not meet my quality standards, I have extra to build again. So, if they overestimate the number of 2nds, then that would mean there are more 1sts available for sale right away. If I'm right here, that would be the only way someone would get a 2.7 pre SALE in July of 2016 before a 4.7 pre-ORDER made in 2015.

Now if they said two months, we all jumped, and then they don't deliver, or it goes into next year, there will be some upset folks and we'll be back on that train again. This has to make sense. They have extra 1sts left over form the pre-order sales and they decided to sell some on the pre-sale (they get two months to finish them up) instead of trickling all of them down on Monday sales threads. Instant income for them as well which is a nice reason to do the pre-"sale". I know that S!K would not continue to go down the road of promising two months unless they could fulfill that order. The don't give ship times on pre-orders anymore. This was pre -sale and they did give a timeline. I think I've outlined why they were available for sale here. Thoughts anyone?

I bought my Chevy Silverado off the lot. My Bugatti Veyron I ordered in 2014 is still not ready. I DID get a notice that there was a Veyron available last year in a different color because the guy who ordered it died. So these things happen. ;)

THAT would make sense.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why this seems so confusing still, The way I read Ellies post is that Pre-orders will all be shipped then Pre-sales then whatever's left over.
I think the 'will ship in a couple of months' from the email telling us about the pre-sales was simply a nod to the fact that the models they were selling are getting close to completion, not a solid promise that you will have them in 62 days.
Like a lot of people here, I'd be understandably pretty miffed if they put our orders that have been in the queue for over a year on hold for something that was just sold & I believe the folks at Survive! are smart enough not to do that.

Not trying to stir anyone up, just trying to clear the waters that seem to be clouded a little because of the excitement of knowing ( hoping?) our knives are finally getting close to delivery.

T.

Last edited:
Yet another case of Survive promising a delivery time frame.
See what the excitement does to people?
I thought they'd learned their lesson. :)

Expert.... mmhmmmm :D

I was in the middle of a pretty lengthy response, but I deleted it all just to agree with timbo, he said it all pretty well.

The facts, as they stand in this moment:

Production:
- As Hale mentioned, we produce way more than what has actually been preordered. There can be a high proportion of scrap and Factory 2nds in every run so making a lot gives us wiggle room. Though we will scrap an entire run (fortunately we don't have to do that very often). Once we have the blades, have done an initial QC, and set aside preorders, some of the remaining good blades get listed as presale orders. After all of those "pre____s" ship out, the rest of the production run will be available through Monday sales.
- "A couple of months" was definitely meant as more of around a "couple months, [not half a year or more]" as Timbo mentioned, rather than an "exactly XX number of days" but looking at the current schedule I don't see us being too far off of the more literal version.
- All models were made available at the same time during the starter so one model doesn't necessarily have precedence over another. Once we have the materials for a particular model, we will start working our way through those preorders.

GSO-4.7:
- We are [still] working on GSO-4.7 preorders. Remember how the GSO-5.1s were a bit beat up from being the first blades in this new production line? Well there were still some things getting worked out during the GSO-4.7 production as well. The result, they are being a royal pain to put together, so it is slow going.
- GSO-4.7 Cru Forge V orders are built. Those are shipping out in batches, about once a week, depending on when Guy gets a bunch sharpened.
- The presale orders for the GSO-4.7 will be going out once the preorders are completed.

GSO-2.7:
- Every so often, Guy throws in a stack of GSO-2.7s while working on the GSO-4.7. They are faster on all accounts: the small size means the surface finishing and sharpening are quick, they go together really well, and there are a lot less orders for them.
- So we are currently working our way through the GSO-2.7 preorders and expect to have them all out relatively quickly.
- The GSO-2.7 presales will start shipping after those have all gone out.

GSO-4.1:
- We have a very small batch of good sample sheaths. Every so often Guy gets excited and throws one of those blades in the mix.
- So far, they also go together really well.
- There are a LOT of orders for these so it is going to take some time to get through all of them.

THANK YOU Ellie. I apologize. I wasn't trying to fuel any fire here. I think we are all so excited that a lot of knives are nearing the ship date that it clouds us up a bit. I know it does for me.

Now, I'm excited again over my 2.7. Very excited.

THANK YOU Ellie. I apologize. I wasn't trying to fuel any fire here. I think we are all so excited that a lot of knives are nearing the ship date that it clouds us up a bit. I know it does for me.

Now, I'm excited again over my 2.7. Very excited.

No worries, I know there is a lot going on and it's a bit messy right now, not to mention super exciting. I think things are about to get quite a bit faster soon though, just need to get beyond these GSO-4.7s.

Thanks for the updates, Ellie.

My Bugatti Veyron I ordered in 2014 is still not ready. I DID get a notice that there was a Veyron available last year in a different color because the guy who ordered it died.

Perhaps I should quit my job in neurosurgery and start bending kydex for a living.

Back