2013 East Coast Custom Knife Show • Walk softly and carry a BIG stick....

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We are fortunate to be the staff photographers for this long-standing show based in NJ overlooking Manhattan.

Susan and I drive there, as it's only 90 mins from our home, and we set up early Friday morning. From that point until Sunday @ 1pm, I always had a project demanding my lens. That's when I finally stepped into the Show Hall to glad hand and observe.

BTW: Susan and I walked down the street to a local Bertucci's chain for Friday dinner, and it's more than adequate. In fact, they cooked a gourmet dinner. Highly recommended.

The following evening we walk a block from the venue to the Path station, and a $9 MetroCard and 30 min subway ride drops us off right in Manhattan at 9th street and the Avenue of the America's. We walked to the edge of Greenwich Village and ate at Tio Pepe's Spanish restaurant. Delicious food, VERY friendly service = 30% tip. Join us next year?

We packed up quietly on Sunday afternoon while the van was valet-delivered, and we were home in time to relax by 4pm.

Let's talk knives....

What I see through MY end of the lens is a variety of simple and incredibly elaborate knives, as testimony to the diversity of this show. Many knives missed me altogether.

Joel Chamblin horsemen's knife. Ten implements.
orig.jpg

Kevin Cross brought an array of his chef's knives to the table. Here's a sampling:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Barry Davis brought from a collector. This collector tells me he used my site to view a selection of Barry's knives, and picked out elements he wanted to include because of this resource. Props!
orig.jpg

Another collector brought me this pair of Dellana knives. This first one is her signature model...
orig.jpg

...and the second adorns the cover of DDD's book on her and Van.
orig.jpg

Continued....

Vasyl Goshovskyy's knives as presented from one of his better clients.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Barry Lee Hands is prepared to go the distance. He's taking engraving to the highest levels of embellishment, and this one $OLD at the show.
orig.jpg

Howard Hitchmough shows the Sun and the Stars with some of the dreamiest pearl scales I've ever seen.
orig.jpg

You want authority? Handle this Steve Johnson 'Big Bear' and you have stature.
orig.jpg

Ron Skaggs is renowned for his high-relief engraving. On this Joe Kious pocket locket, his interpretation of a Civil War battle brings you into the range of fire...
orig.jpg

When I drew this out of the pouch, this wadded up drawing was enclosed in with it. This was Ron's conceptual drawing. I found it utterly captivating to study this.
orig.jpg

Wolfgang Loerchner had a knife for HIS drawing. One of my new clients was fortunate to draw the lucky card.
orig.jpg

As did his daughter Elizabeth Loerchner, who ALSO had a drawing knife.
orig.jpg

Even more Loerchner goodness next... ;)

This one by Elizabeth was so wonderful Paul Shindler confided he wanted to keep it for his own collection. That is until he got an offer he couldn't refuse... ;)
orig.jpg

Wolfe proves how he can make a classic a standout.
orig.jpg

Switching gears completely, Sal Manaro, known for his exacting dress tactical folders, hauls this monster half sword to my table. We needed something to show a sense of scale, and we tried a few $100 bills, but he suggested something, well, a little on the down low. ;)
orig.jpg

Chad Nell sold everything he brought by Friday afternoon. Here's why.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Keith Ouye had some Russian collectors drooling over his engraved tacticals. A rare Tom Ferry appearance.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

John W. Smith. This wasn't new, but it certainly commands the room. He was also there. One of our favorite collectors brought this to me to show it best. Indeed it shows well.
orig.jpg

More...

Raised in NYC, Bob Terzuola supplied a father and son collector team with this set.
orig.jpg

Michael Walker had this as his drawing knife. I'm told it went through a few hands before it settled into it's rightful owner's collection. Peering into the mechanism is a trend... ;)
orig.jpg

On this one, Michael told me he sliced the green Carbon Fiber into pieces, and glued them together to show the end grain instead of the side view.
orig.jpg

Antonio Fogarizzu arrived with his wife and lovely 6-yr old daughter. What a charming family. What beauty he brings from Italy!
orig.jpg

Antonio had Manrico Torcoli engrave this piece, and it is sexy with a surreal birdlike merge.
orig.jpg

Here is why Manrico is regarded as one of the most sought-after engravers for high end knives:
orig.jpg

Ron Lake is in the room. You can tell from ACROSS the room. No, that's not a backwards inset. That's his reverse mark.
orig.jpg

Closing THIS set is a knife from new Italian maker Moro Corrado. He calls this his 'Tourbillion'. Those are two crystal lenses which cover the pivot and he has machined windows in the blade which give a great sense of motion when you open and close it. Everyone was talking about this one!
orig.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks Coop!

They are all fantastic, but the Lake seem to me to be on another level.

Looking ahead, will you have time to get together in Boston?

Hi John,

We're going to Boston to work. I'll be at the Show hotel for two nights steady, and probably won't leave till Sunday morning. And we're involved in the Sat eve. banquet.

Thanks for asking. I miss chatting with you! :) Unless YOU are going to the Boston Show, I won't have time. Just the way it goes at a busy show. :(

Coop

thank you VERY MUCH, Coop :)

Looks great! Can't wait for more. Thanks for your nice comment and for slipping me in when you did late Friday. Very much appreciated.

WHOA!!! Thanks for the pics Coop...some absolute jaw-droppers in here!

New Long Term Goal: Some day become an exhibitor at this show...

New Short(er) Term Goal: Improve my skill-set 1000-fold so I don't get laughed out of the room!!!:eek:

Unreal detail on these superb knives, double WOW !!
Thanks, Coop !

Doug

Wonderful stuff, Coop! Some super shots of some really outstanding pieces.

Outstanding Coop! Thanks for sharing the highlights, what an amazing group of knives.

Eric

Back