21 Stop Pin Collar

jjg6319

Gold Member
Happy Easter!

I took apart a couple of 21s to lube and clean. The one was a 21 Insigno blade and lock up before I took it apart was around 70%. After I got it back together I noticed the lock up was around 30% I spent a bunch of time searching here and found a couple of threads that said if you rotate the stop pin collar that it could reduce the lock up. I should have took a sharpie and marked the collar before I took the knife apart. That way I would have been closer than I am now than where the collar is located (in rotation). I noticed a flat on the collar probably due to opening and closing the blade over time. At this point I guess I could use a sharpie make the collar and then loosen the stop pin screws and spin the collar until I get back to the original lock up. I have not noticed if the collar normally spins as it might eventually work back to where it was if it spins.

I saw a couple good posts from nyefmaker nyefmaker and kidcongo kidcongo from the many threads I read/searched.

If you take your 21 apart and want the same lock up then mark it so you get the stop pin collar located close to where it was.

Last edited:
I use this trick for earlier lock up. However as he states sebenza late lock up is kind of by design more than other makers and Chris Reeve developed it so he should know how to make a proper good one. This gives me earlier lock up for a limited time eventually it works over a little more but without issue. It could be that my pivot screw and stop pin screw work a little loose and so then I think goes lil later but again never an issue with lock up or disengagement.

This is frankly just a trick for the aesthetics of early lock up and a slight earlier disengagement of lock bar on closing.

Happy Easter!

I took apart a couple of 21s to lube and clean. The one was a 21 Insigno blade and lock up before I took it apart was around 70%. After I got it back together I noticed the lock up was around 30% I spent a bunch of time searching here and found a couple of threads that said if you rotate the stop pin collar that it could reduce the lock up. I should have took a sharpie and marked the collar before I took the knife apart. That way I would have been closer than I am now than where the collar is located (in rotation). I noticed a flat on the collar probably due to opening and closing the blade over time. At this point I guess I could use a sharpie make the collar and then loosen the stop pin screws and spin the collar until I get back to the original lock up. I have not noticed if the collar normally spins as it might eventually work back to where it was if it spins.

I saw a couple good posts from nyefmaker nyefmaker and kidcongo kidcongo from the many threads I read/searched.

If you take your 21 apart and want the same lock up then mark it so you get the stop pin collar located close to where it was.
Hello, I re-read your post and I wasn’t sure if you asked a question of if you were just sharing an observation.

Yes, if you rotate the stop pin during reassembly you will see a slight change in lockup. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed a change as big as 70% to 30%. I suspect there may be more than one thing happening.

I reassemble so the witness mark of blade contact on the stop pin sleeve is in the same place so my lockup doesn’t change. If it were me, I’d disassemble and reassemble to move the stop pin sleeve rather than try to spin it.

If there is something else also affecting your lockup, such as alignment of parts during assembly, it will settle back to its natural place after a little bit of use. I’ve had this happen. Not to worry, very small changes affect lockup temporarily but it goes back to normal in short order.

I was probably more trying to share the information. When I was searching I came across threads that talked about early lock up versus late lock up. It was hard to find the information in one post. I will try your suggestion to reassemble and move the collar. I get a little nervous as I don't want to pinch a washer and have to send the knife to CRK. Thanks Again!

I was probably more trying to share the information. When I was searching I came across threads that talked about early lock up versus late lock up. It was hard to find the information in one post. I will try your suggestion to reassemble and move the collar. I get a little nervous as I don't want to pinch a washer and have to send the knife to CRK. Thanks Again!
The fear of a pinched washer is really not worth the time you are spending on it. If you take your time and assemble correctly it just doesnt happen.

Pinched washers usually come from assembling sandwich style instead of sliding the blade assembly back into the frame like they recommend. I will admit I’ve assembled this way when I first started but thankfully I didn’t pinch one.

I have also tried the suggested in the video Franz_N Franz_N posted but I didn’t get the results personally. As R rishma stated however. With use that collar will spin to its natural resting place or back to where it was.

Pinched washers usually come from assembling sandwich style instead of sliding the blade assembly back into the frame like they recommend. I will admit I’ve assembled this way when I first started but thankfully I didn’t pinch one.

I've done it "the wrong way" most of my services.

That way I can put gease exactly where it should be and nowhere else.

Sliding the whole thing in I always got grease all over the place and the assebly falling apart before I got it in there etc.

Sliding the whole thing in I always got grease all over the place and the assebly falling apart before I got it in there etc.
I don’t use enough grease for it to make a mess. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t use enough grease for it to make a mess. 🤷‍♂️

ahhh, ure running it dry then?n

EDIT; I dont use much either, but pinching the blade/washer/bushing I tend to leave some grease on my fingers and on the wrong side of the washers doing it the "factory way".

In my OCD state when servicing a sebbie there should only be grease between the blade and washers and a small dab between blade n bushing, nowhere else 🤓

EDIT: a tiny dab on the ceramic ball can be good as well, but this can be done without taking the knife down.

Last edited:

You are using too much grease.

• Haha
Reactions: 353
You are using too much grease.

I dont. I have done many many take downs. Trust me.

I just prefer the ultimate control I have doing it "the wrong way" never had an issue with it.

I honestly dont see how one can f it up if ure just paying the least amout of attention to what ure doing.

ahhh, ure running it dry then?n

EDIT; I dont use much either, but pinching the blade/washer/bushing I tend to leave some grease on my fingers and on the wrong side of the washers doing it the "factory way".

In my OCD state when servicing a sebbie there should only be grease between the blade and washers and a small dab between blade n bushing, nowhere else 🤓

EDIT: a tiny dab on the ceramic ball can be good as well, but this can be done without taking the knife down.
It must be those darn holes in the washers!

Pinched washers usually come from assembling sandwich style instead of sliding the blade assembly back into the frame like they recommend.
Just curious, what makes CRK susceptible to this?

Any folder that I’ve disassembled and reassembled was done sandwich style and I’ve never had issues with the washers.

• Love
Reactions: 353
Just curious, what makes CRK susceptible to this?

Any folder that I’ve disassembled and reassembled was done sandwich style and I’ve never had issues with the washers.
My guess is as reassembling the washer isn’t fully seated and gets pinched between the bushing and the frame. Most other knives I have disassembled don’t have the bushing. When you assemble the way CRK recommends by sliding the blade assembly into the frame they are already in place where they are supposed to be. It’s not fool proof but truthfully I’ve never pinched a washer either way. I think whatever works for someone it’s about the same either way.

Back