3 knife kit, which tweener?

I'd say talk to one of the local metal smiths about getting a FFG 16 into a 17. It is your best bet by far.

One is none and two is one, so three is actually two.........
And 4 is 3 and 6 is 5... How many backups do you want to carry?
I have an oddball khukri (H.I. 20" Sirupati) which has TWO karda knives instead of the usual karda & chakma combo.
Fail to see the point when you yourself are calling it oddball.

Carry what you like but it seems the only person other then me giving any advice on practicality of the choice of a medium fixed blade is SaturatedShadow. Could you eventually find a use for the knife? Sure. However if I gave you a hammer I'm sure you'll eventually find a nail to hit with it. Do you wanna carry one of those too? Beckerheads like to use the argument "best bang for your buck" but when it comes to carrying your equipment you really should be more concerned with best bang for the weight. But it's your weight you gotta hump so have at it fellas. :D

...and 8 is 7 which adds up to 15. Coincidence? I don't think so. Once again, fact is stranger than truth.

LOL...the 15 is the coolest of the 3. If only there was no choil I would snatch one up in a heart beat.

I am supremely biased in favor of the 16.....a trifle lighter than the 17 and a bit "slicier" and a bit better for camp chores, IMHO.....Love the 15 and it is great around the camp kitchen......BUT, any of the three will serve you well, I think.....

All Best,

Ethan

And 4 is 3 and 6 is 5... How many backups do you want to carry?

Fail to see the point when you yourself are calling it oddball.

Carry what you like but it seems the only person other then me giving any advice on practicality of the choice of a medium fixed blade is SaturatedShadow. Could you eventually find a use for the knife? Sure. However if I gave you a hammer I'm sure you'll eventually find a nail to hit with it. Do you wanna carry one of those too? Beckerheads like to use the argument "best bang for your buck" but when it comes to carrying your equipment you really should be more concerned with best bang for the weight. But it's your weight you gotta hump so have at it fellas. :D
I've been known to hoof it a good bit of distance (3-5miles) with a 35-40lb pack. I really don't think the difference in weight of 1 lb is going to kill me. Plus I'd much rather have a dedicated food knife if I'm in an area where I don't have any way to clean the blade in between uses.

Thanks for all the input. I'm now more torn between the 15 and the 16 than when I started. I think the 16 would be my perfect belt knife, but for this kit I like the idea of a dedicated kitchen knife and between the 9 and 11 I think the wood chores will be taken care of. In the long run I hope to end up with both, but I think I'll start with the 15.

On a side note I'd like to do I comparison in spoon making between the bk9-bk11 combo, and and the khukuri-kadra. I have a feeling both will be good, but the spoons will come out differently.

I really like my 16, but I agree that is sounds like you should get the 15 first.

Really guys? No pictures?

IMG_1196.jpg

Jeremy

Back