50th anniversary of the 110

I was reading about the 110 on Buck's website. It says the 110 was introduced in 1962, which would make this year the 50th anniversary of the 110. No special edition?

I started a thread on this a while back and many questions were asked and many suggestions were made.

Buck was totally silent.

So, if they have a plan they are not sharing.

Perhaps they want to let the suspense build.

Or.....perhaps they had forgotten the whole thing and were embarrassed.

:D

Thanks, fellas. I figured someone else must have thought of this already. A half century of the knife that made the company famous 'round the world... I thought it would be a big deal.

Thanks, fellas. I figured someone else must have thought of this already. A half century of the knife that made the company famous 'round the world... I thought it would be a big deal.

That knife is for the 50th anniversary of Cabela's, not of the 110. It showed up in last year's Special Projects list (2011) which should mean that it started production in 2010 I believe. Cabela's was established in 1961, a few years before the 110 came out. According to the book, The Story of Buck Knives, the 110 didn't come out until late '63 or early '64 if I read it correctly and wasn't in the catalog until '64 so it's still a couple of years away from it's 50th.

Cabelass50th.jpg

Last edited:
I was reading about the 110 on Buck's website. It says the 110 was introduced in 1962, which would make this year the 50th anniversary of the 110. No special edition?

This is what Buck's website says:

"BUCK. INGENUITY RUNS IN THE FAMILY.A young Kansas blacksmith apprentice named Hoyt Buck was looking for a better way to temper steel so it would hold an edge longer. His unique approach produced the first Buck Knife in 1902.
Hoyt made each knife by hand, using worn-out file blades as raw material. His handy work was greatly appreciated during World War II. After the war, Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947.

Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the Model 110 Folding Hunter. The folding “lockblade” knife made Buck a leader. A position we proudly hold today.
Hoyt and Al Buck's ingenuity may have put the company on the map. But it is our ongoing commitment to developing innovative new products and improving what we have by third and fourth generation Buck family members that have made Buck the successful knife maker it is today.
Frankly, it's what our customers expect from a Buck."

Here is the description of the 110 folding hunter from Buck's website:

1962 was a good year for knife safety
. Our signature knife, the 110 Folding Hunter® came out. It's gorgeous. It's a high-quality, reliable locking folder. And it's pure Buck. A classic like the 110 with its easy opening and closing with the nail notch lockback design never goes out of style.

I guess it is up to Buck to decide when they officially want to celebrate the 110's 50th.

I know that this subject has come up before. There's nothing on a 110 in any data sheet about them before 1964. According to the book, the board of directors authorized the development of the 110 on April, 18th, 1963. The first production model was not produced until late 1964.

Last edited:
I know that this subject has come up before. There's nothing on a 110 in any data sheet about them before 1964. According to the book, the board of directors authorized the development of the 110 on April, 18th, 1963. The first production model was not produced until June of 1964.

That is what I have understood to be the "birth" of the 110 as well. I always thought a nice anniversary addition would be a Buck 110 with all brass handles. Maybe it is just me, but I love heavy handles.:)

That is what I have understood to be the "birth" of the 110 as well. I always thought a nice anniversary addition would be a Buck 110 with all brass handles. Maybe it is just me, but I love heavy handles.:)

Yep, here's the 110 sheet from the BCCI history section. It also has the year of introduction as '64 so they still have a couple of years to come up with 100th year special edition. The '62 date in the 110's description (on the website) just has to be a typo.

110history.jpg

Yep, here's the 110 sheet from the BCCI history section. It also has the year of introduction as '64 so they still have a couple of years to come up with 100th year special edition. The '62 date in the 110's description (on the website) just has to be a typo.

Or possibly when it started to be developed?

I started a thread on this a while back and many questions were asked and many suggestions were made.

Buck was totally silent.

So, if they have a plan they are not sharing.

Perhaps they want to let the suspense build.

Or.....perhaps they had forgotten the whole thing and were embarrassed.

:D

Maybe they want to do one a couple years late to balance the "space time continuum" from this :eek: interesting fiasco...:p :D

IMG_1404.jpg
[/IMG]

You can find references to 1962, 1963 and 1964 on the web site. They issued a 25th year knife in 1988 which to me says they internally recognize 1963. Stuff like this is what makes it interesting. Lets face it, Buck can't even decide how old they are......;) They celebrated 25 years in 1986 (1961-1986) with the issue of a 25th anniversary 110. 16 years later we're celebrating 100 years!

You can find references to 1962, 1963 and 1964 on the web site. They issued a 25th year knife in 1988 which to me says they internally recognize 1963. Stuff like this is what makes it interesting. Lets face it, Buck can't even decide how old they are......;) They celebrated 25 years in 1986 (1961-1986) with the issue of a 25th anniversary 110. 16 years later we're celebrating 100 years!

That was to celebrate 25 years of incorporation (April 7th, 1961), not 25 years of 110's.

Plumber stay with them on this... I agree with 1964 as when the 110 showed up. Perhaps 63 as on the drawing board or a few proto types. DM

There were two "25th" annniversary 110's. One was, as I stated above, for the 25th year of incorporation. Later they did a "25th" year for the 25th anniversary of the 110. If I remember right, the banners on the blades were similar, the just have different dates. As Joe stated, the "25th" anniversary 112 was a marketing error.

According to the 110 history in the book, in April of 1963 the board authorized the development of a folding lock blade. In mid summer they had a preliminary model and in August, the basic design was approved and the designer was asked to have second generation model ready for them to review in 90 days, but it wasn't completed until June of '64. Further refinements were then made and the 110 didn't go into production until September of '64.

If the date of 1963 is used, it must be because that's when the idea was put forward and prototypes were built, not when they went into production and made available for sale.

The 110 timeline "sticky" starts with First Version, Variation I,(1964-1965)
Unless Joe uncovered some new info on his timeline it seems clear that perhaps we are two years early to be expecting a 50th Aniversary 110...

1964 works for me. Perhaps by 2014 I'll work up the courage to own such a solid, manly knife.

Back