9mm ammo

I have some 9mm & some 9mm Luger. Are they the same. Will they interchange safely ?

An old man wants to know ,please.

Uncle Alan a country republican

Yes it's confusing ! Invented in Germany more than 100 years ago . 9mm Luger , 9x19 ,9mm Parabellum are all the same . The term 9mm though commonly has become a name for it also ,really only refers to bullet diameter . There are MANY cartridges using a 9mm bullet diameter so saying '9mm' is not sufficient !!

They are the same. There's an old cartridge called the 9MM Largo which is not and sometimes the .380 auto is referred to as the 9mm short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×19mm_Parabellum

There are a lot of different names for the same cartridge, in this case the 9x19 or "Luger" of German origin. The only changes worth noting is that the pressure varies to some degree so, older firearms shouldn't be used with high pressure modern rounds. The over pressure SMG rounds are really meant for blowback SMGs but, can be used on a limited basis in modern high quality 9mm handguns.

Never shoot unknown ammunition in any firearm. Surplus that has been stored for decades can have erratic pressures as grains of powder get fractured and turn to dust. Instead of a nice burn, you can get a detonation.

There are also 9x19 +P ,and 9x19 +P+ .These are higher pressure versions of the 9x19 .Make sure you're gun is designed for them !!
Without checking -- 9x17 [9mmshort, .380], 9x18 [9mmMakarov], 9x19, 9x21 ,9mm Largo ,9mm Mauser .And I know there are more !!

My thanks to METE & MOSSYHORN . It gives me pleasure to be associated with intelligent folks.

Uncle Alan

Watch out for 9x18 and 9x21. 9x21 is more commonly used overseas.

With former Russian cartridges, the bore diameter is measure differently. Ruger used .308 barrels for their 7.62x39 rifles which was a problem for many. Measuring the lands versus grooves and mixing it up can ruin your day.

Lots of variants...

9x17= 9mm Kurtz= .380acp= .380 auto= .355in dia
9x18= 9mm Makarov= .364in dia
9x19= 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO= .355in dia
9x21= 9mm Largo= .355in dia
9x23= .355in dia (basically a .38 super magnum)
9x29= 9mm WinMag= .355in dia (designed for semi auto pistol from AMT, and LAR)

Plus there is 9mm Browning Court, which is .380.

But, as everyone else has said. 9mm, Luger, and Parabellum are all the same thing.

9mm NATO is loaded to Euro spec (not SAAMI spec) and because of that, is a little higher in pressure than the stuff we get here. You won't find much of it outside of Winchester Ranger RA9124N (I think that's the sku number). It is not quite +P, but definitely hotter than the watered down range ammo stuff you get here in the States.

Nato spec 9mm isn't too hard to buy on-line from reputable sources. You can tell a difference from the cheap range loads most people shoot with the recoil and noise.

Nato spec 9mm isn't too hard to buy on-line from reputable sources. You can tell a difference from the cheap range loads most people shoot with the recoil and noise.

That and the headstamp is marked with the NATO cross.
NATO-Identification.jpg

Plus there is 9mm Browning Court, which is .380.

But, as everyone else has said. 9mm, Luger, and Parabellum are all the same thing.

You mean "kurz", right? "Kurz" is German for "short" and is used to distinguish between this auto round and 9mm Luger/Parabellum/NATO/9x19 etc.

Back