A CRK Lock-back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about you guys, but i would love to see CRK make a lock-back one day, just for something different. With the amount or precision and craftsmanship they are capable of, i bet they could make a really strong, classy and classic looking version of it. Full size thick metal pins nested through the slabs of titanium with a ton of strength, somewhere between a triad-lock and a buck 110. If they made one with good looking lines like the sebs, inkosi's and umnum's have, i'd definitely buy a few.

That's an excellent idea. I don't see it ever happening, but I'd get one if the specs were right.

Still working towards adding a Ti lock to my collection, and re-purchasing a zann.

I am really not into backlock but I think the idea can make sense to some

IMHO it will be surprising to have CRK coming with a lock mechanism that is not the one they created

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I am really not into backlock but I think the idea can make sense to some

IMHO it will be surprising to have CRK coming with a lock mechanism that is not the one they created

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Well, there is the Ti Lock...

I would buy one! In my mind I picture it to be similar to the Bob Dozier titanium lockback.

Why on earth would CRK make a lock back? To me, that would be going backwards.Their frame lock is awesome. I dislike lock backs so much.

Well, there is the Ti Lock...

A back lock version of the ti lock might be cool. They could do annual versions with different inlays. Wood, carbon fiber and micarta.. drooling. Keep the bearing pivot, but instead of milling the scales keep them solid and plain or inlays.

A back lock version of the ti lock might be cool. They could do annual versions with different inlays. Wood, carbon fiber and micarta.. drooling. Keep the bearing pivot, but instead of milling the scales keep them solid and plain or inlays.

That would be very interesting.

Why on earth would CRK make a lock back? To me, that would be going backwards.Their frame lock is awesome. I dislike lock backs so much.

They make fixed blades.Is that considered going backwards?

I'd love to see what CRK could do with lock back design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To offer something to those who love back-locks mostly. And for an option that has superior strength and offers more confidence in hand maybe, not to mention a well made lock-back will out live any frame lock. Also i think it isn't a step backwards as they already offer the Mnandi which is a 2 hand operated design since it has a nail nick, i see no difference in function with a lock-back in that regard. You can close most well made lock-backs with one hand so i don't see any step back in function. I always carry my large Seb21 for normal edc but back it up with a Tri-ad lock variant as my secondary knife, it'd be nice to have an all in one CRK that offers both class and precision as well as some serious muscle in the lock department. Just my opinion.

To offer something to those who love back-locks mostly. And for an option that has superior strength and offers more confidence in hand maybe, not to mention a well made lock-back will out live any frame lock. Also i think it isn't a step backwards as they already offer the Mnandi which is a 2 hand operated design since it has a nail nick, i see no difference in function with a lock-back in that regard. You can close most well made lock-backs with one hand so i don't see any step back in function. I always carry my large Seb21 for normal edc but back it up with a Tri-ad lock variant as my secondary knife, it'd be nice to have an all in one CRK that offers both class and precision as well as some serious muscle in the lock department. Just my opinion.

TKC has a point. Per CRK lore, lock backs and liner locks did not meet Chris' standards for a folding knife, hence the Chris Reeve Frame Lock.

I'd like to see the proof of "well made lock-back will out live any frame lock." Lock backs wear out too. I wore out a Puma.

Lock backs would also not be amenable to take down and cleaning, another CRK design requirement for a folding knife.

TKC has a point. Per CRK lore, lock backs and liner locks did not meet Chris' standards for a folding knife, hence the Chris Reeve Frame Lock.

I'd like to see the proof of "well made lock-back will out live any frame lock." Lock backs wear out too. I wore out a Puma.

Lock backs would also not be amenable to take down and cleaning, another CRK design requirement for a folding knife.

I understand and really appreciate the CRK philosophy when it comes to the simplicity of the frame lock, for both use and ease of maintenance. As to the frame-lock vs lock-back wearing out, i was more talking about a well engineered lock-back, similar to the way a Tri-Ad lock is designed where a solid nested pin takes the brunt of any stress and the tang and lock bar are cut on angles for self adjustment. I'm sure we don't need to go into the lock type debate, the Tri-Ad by design does have much more lasting potential than any lock on the market. Traditional lock-backs (pumas, Buck, Spydies) have much less in the way of wear adjustment and overall locking depth in the tang, much easier to wear out once the steel peens over a little. Anyway that's all neither here or there, it's just food for thought, i'd be more than happy sticking with the original Seb21 setup, it's simplicity is what makes it so nice to use and maintain. I just think CRK could come up with a well engineered lock-back like Andrew Demko did.

I understand and really appreciate the CRK philosophy when it comes to the simplicity of the frame lock, for both use and ease of maintenance. As to the frame-lock vs lock-back wearing out, i was more talking about a well engineered lock-back, similar to the way a Tri-Ad lock is designed where a solid nested pin takes the brunt of any stress and the tang and lock bar are cut on angles for self adjustment. I'm sure we don't need to go into the lock type debate, the Tri-Ad by design does have much more lasting potential than any lock on the market. Traditional lock-backs (pumas, Buck, Spydies) have much less in the way of wear adjustment and overall locking depth in the tang, much easier to wear out once the steel peens over a little. Anyway that's all neither here or there, it's just food for thought, i'd be more than happy sticking with the original Seb21 setup, it's simplicity is what makes it so nice to use and maintain. I just think CRK could come up with a well engineered lock-back like Andrew Demko did.

We get it, you like Cold Steel. We all have opinions and different tastes on just about everthing. For instance, I saw a guy wearing a big thumb ring today, and IMO it made him look pretty light in the loafers, but if he likes to make himself look that way, then that's ok with me. I just don't understand what makes you think it's a good idea to come on the CRK subforum and beat everyone over the head about Cold Steel's lock. I'm sure they're a fine lock, but apparently they have some slop issues, as evidenced by the thread in their sub recently. That doesn't just scream quality to me, but then again I don't wear a thumb ring.
A CRK lock-back might be neat. Chris did a helix lock several years ago. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to come to life, though. There are several other things I would like to see them do before this.

We get it, you like Cold Steel. We all have opinions and different tastes on just about everthing. For instance, I saw a guy wearing a big thumb ring today, and IMO it made him look pretty light in the loafers, but if he likes to make himself look that way, then that's ok with me. I just don't understand what makes you think it's a good idea to come on the CRK subforum and beat everyone over the head about Cold Steel's lock. I'm sure they're a fine lock, but apparently they have some slop issues, as evidenced by the thread in their sub recently. That doesn't just scream quality to me, but then again I don't wear a thumb ring.
A CRK lock-back might be neat. Chris did a helix lock several years ago. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to come to life, though. There are several other things I would like to see them do before this.

Who got your knickers in a twist there mate? Why does acknowledging a good design bother you so much? I give CRK as much praise as i do Demko's back-lock. Sounds like you posted that with a bit of a negative mood. The slop issues you're talking about are a grain of sand in the ocean and so few and far between it's moot, possibly due to inexperienced people swapping the stop pins for lock pins like they usually do. Quality? two of my large Seb 21's came off center, and my user has ridiculous lock stick that cannot be fixed, it's not like im screaming the quality is now bad. Come on, this isn't the old Hinderer sub-forum where anything that isn't utter praise over every related aspect of the manufacturers product is considered blasphemy. It's so hard to have objective conversations on these forums without offending someone these days. It was just a thought, i'm not trying to start a debate over anything.

PS. If you made the thumb ring comments because you saw a post i made in the CS forum and i had a thumb ring on, that's a little childish.

Last edited:
Who got your knickers in a twist there mate? Why does acknowledging a good design bother you so much? I give CRK as much praise as i do Demko's back-lock. Sounds like you posted that with a bit of a negative mood. The slop issues you're talking about are a grain of sand in the ocean and so few and far between it's moot, possibly due to inexperienced people swapping the stop pins for lock pins like they usually do. Quality? two of my large Seb 21's came off center, and my user has ridiculous lock stick that cannot be fixed, it's not like im screaming the quality is now bad. Come on, this isn't the old Hinderer sub-forum where anything that isn't utter praise over every related aspect of the manufacturers product is considered blasphemy. It's so hard to have objective conversations on these forums without offending someone these days. It was just a thought, i'm not trying to start a debate over anything.

I'm not your mate and I don't wear knickers...or thumb rings. I'm all for good design and praising it. What I'm not for is going into another sub-forum and starting threads just so that you can mention Cold Steel again. It's great that you like both manufacturers, good for you. You won't find the regulars here in the CRK sub going into the Spyderco sub and talking about CRK constantly. You seem to come in here and drop triad-lock turds all over the place. Take that crap back over to the Cold Steel forum.
If you want to have a discussion about CRK and related topics, this is the place to do it.
Oh, I almost forgot. San-Mai. I hope they don't threaten me with a lawsuit.

I'm not your mate and I don't wear knickers...or thumb rings. I'm all for good design and praising it. What I'm not for is going into another sub-forum and starting threads just so that you can mention Cold Steel again. It's great that you like both manufacturers, good for you. You won't find the regulars here in the CRK sub going into the Spyderco sub and talking about CRK constantly. You seem to come in here and drop triad-lock turds all over the place. Take that crap back over to the Cold Steel forum.
If you want to have a discussion about CRK and related topics, this is the place to do it.
Oh, I almost forgot. San-Mai. I hope they don't threaten me with a lawsuit.

You make me laugh, starting threads so i can mention Cold Steel, you're clearly butthurt over something kid, go back to my very first original post, it was a genuine thought and some people actually agreed. You're just a typical guy who gets sensitive over anything that isn't what he loves. You see, normal people, with normal tempers and normal emotions can discuss a broader range of topics in sub forums without getting emo about it not being an all hail to the CRK gods only thread. Delete this thread mods, i'ts going to be tiring dealing with Mr America defending the CRK sub like it's his baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back