A few select pictures from Enduring Freedom

Ryan,

Thanks for sharing those, and thanks for putting your life on the line for us back home here. If you're ever in CT, look me up. Beers are on me.

Best,

Brian Jones

Thanks Ryan! I have new wallpaper now. I'll show my friends so they can see some of what's going on over there. Maybe someone can figure out a way to rig your cmaera to your minigun, and after every 300th round or so, a photo snaps! That would be cool

:cool:

Ryan,

Fantastic!

I am speechless.

Cannot thank you enough for sharing. Each and every image is awesome. The best I've seen so far. We are all very proud of you and your boys.

Shelby
6 miles from ground zero.

Ryan,

Been looking forward to those.
Thanks for sharing the great shots with us.

Warmest wihes

Oliver

Absolutely wonderful images of a hard land. By the scarcity of vegetation can I assume that we are viewing land of a high altitude? If so, are there problems with "mountain sickness?"I have read that Indian and Pak. troops in Kashmir suffer more casualties to altitude than each other. For photog buffs, what equipment did you use? Again, thanks.
Leo:) :) :)

Yeah, those ARE some great pics! Really cool to have a true warrior in our midst....And don't put yourself anyplace where you can send a bullet instead!;)

Strangely, aside from the snow and shots of Kabul, the mountain areas strongly resemble the area around Yuma, Arizona, where I used to live.

AL

Ryan
Thanks for the pictures! This may be a stupid question, but what branch of the service are you in? What was your MOS going in?
Thanks
Luke
P.S. What kinda of knives do you carry at "work"

I'll try to answer most of the questions so far.

There aren't any classified pictures in this lot, so NO, there isn't a problem with certain photos making it out of the AO. Reporters don't have the same scrupples that most military folks do, so that's probably why there is more restriction on what they can and cannot do.

As to the altitude, yes, it is very high altitude stuff we are talking about. Anywhere from 6K feet up to the base of the Himilayan Range is what we encountered. We didn't run into any altitude sickness, but I can't speak for anyone on the ground for any length of time. It might or might not be a factor, I just don't know. The Afghans are well adjusted to this environment so I would think they would be less suceptible to it's ill effects. Hell, they live there their whole life, so they don't know how ****ed up they should be.

Camera was a Canon Elph 2 APS camera. Nothing fancy, but luck.

I'm an Air Force Aerial Gunner on HH-60G PaveHawk Combat Search and Rescue Helicopters. My AFSC (USAF version of an MOS) is 1A771. I used to be a 2W171 Aircraft Armament Systems Tech, but the special duty assignment of Gunner was made a seperate career field a year ago last October.

Any others? I'll post some more pictures in a few days or so.

Thanks again for the pictures, Ryan. The guys in the office were especially ... um... fond of the F/A-18 and HH-60 pics. Looking forward to many more pics. Stay safe over there; it sounds like things have really heated up!

Hey Ryan...

Awesome pics.. Thank you Very much for sharing them with us...

We Salute you for Everything you are doing...

Love the minigun..LOL

Rock and Roll...

BTW.. Love the business suit as well..

Stay Safe..

With Deepest Respect..

Eric E. Noeldechen

Thanks for the pics. I know they are helping some of us better understand what conditions you guys are fighting in. Both of my parents were in the air force,and i'm considering Army or AF.Dad was a bomb loader, mom was a radar tech.

Can you tell us a little about tech school for your particular AFSC? Looks and sounds like a kick-ass job!

Back