1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

A Little About Me and My Knives

Discussion in 'Doyle Knives' started by Doyle, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Doyle

Doyle

Sep 3, 2006
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is Patrick Doyle, and I love knives! In fact I'm obsessed with everything about them.
    First let me start by saying that I'm really looking forward to being a part of this forum, and bringing all of you the best knives that I can.
    So here's a little info about me, the man behind the blades. I'm 34 year old knife maker living/working in Howell, Michigan. I've been learning the art of knife making for a little over 4 years now, but I've only really taken it seriously for about 18 months. Now it's literally all I think about.
    It all started when I was about 10 years old and received Bob Loveless's book "How To Make Knives", after looking at the pictures, I grabbed an old file and went to work on the bench grinder, needless to say I didn't get very far! Now fast forward into my late 20's, my parents moved and left me with my old box of "toys", a few old knives and tomahawks from my black powder shooting days. I started to modify those, and then everything snowballed from there. I found Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop" and started to teach myself how to make knives again. Fast forward and here I am today.
    During the non knife making years I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism from Oakland University, and have worked as a professional drum and keyboard tech for the last 10 years touring with the band O.A.R.(Of A Revolution).

Now a little about my knives-
    I've always been inspired by simple straight forward designs. I enjoy nothing more than seeing my knives get used for everyday tasks by everyday people. I've always viewed a knife first and foremost as a cutting tool nothing more nothing less. If it's not comfortable in the hand, pleasing to the eye and well razor sharp, then I have not succeeded. That is what I set out to do with each and every knife I design and make.
    I don't make safe queens or museum pieces. Art knives do nothing for me, though I appreciate the immense skill and craftsmanship that those makers put into their work, it's just not me. I love nothing more than to see a well used knife, one which every scratch and ding brings back a fond memory from the years of hard work. That's art to me.
    As for the knives themselves, I make them one at a time here in my shop in Michigan. I primarily use CPM 3v, and some other tool steels (A2, D2, O1) and I'm starting to use some stainless as well (S35vn, and CPM 154). For handles I prefer to work with G-10 and Micarta, but I will use whatever the customer wishes. I also enjoy experimenting with different blade finishes.
    Like I said, I'm really looking forward to bringing you the best knives I can. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and thanks for the support.

Patrick Doyle
    Doyle Knives

2. H2Oknife

H2Oknife Waterjet Service Provider Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 23, 2010
    Congratulation on your sub forum Patrick!
    Keep up the good work.