A Simple Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, how does abusive opening come into a discussion about lockbar face damage? Wouldn't this loosen the stop pin or pivot if anything at all?

Kreole, did you ever need to force the blade closed after pressing the lock bar, like it was catching? Or did the blade freely swing once the lockbar was out of the way? Pressing the blade closed while catching the very edge of the lockbar face could start rounding it, and cascade from there. I understand you have 4 good CRK's, so this shouldn't be a problem with your form.

IMHO, this doesn't sound like an epidemic and it would be good for CRK to extend the olive branch, be bigger than the problem, and put the issue to rest by covering these knives under warranty. The damage from threads like this cost more than a few Sebenza repairs. To the contrary, when you have a relatively bullet proof product like CRK does, having a no-questions-asked warranty will sell many times more knives than will ever be abused and returned. Busse knows this. They sell gazillions of knives to people who croon about the warranty, only to put them into safes, never to be used. Unfortunately, it sounds like CRK has committed themselves to their limited warranty, which means they have to call existing customers liars (sometimes publicly), and put doubt in potential customers that they will be treated the same way.

BTW, I'm going to buy a lefty Umnum next week, so I'm not implying that my opinion of CRK has been damaged. Just providing my armchair business advice, for whatever it's worth.

Just curious, how does abusive opening come into a discussion about lockbar face damage? Wouldn't this loosen the stop pin or pivot if anything at all?

Kreole, did you ever need to force the blade closed after pressing the lock bar, like it was catching? Or did the blade freely swing once the lockbar was out of the way? Pressing the blade closed while catching the very edge of the lockbar face could start rounding it, and cascade from there. I understand you have 4 good CRK's, so this shouldn't be a problem with your form.

IMHO, this doesn't sound like an epidemic and it would be good for CRK to extend the olive branch, be bigger than the problem, and put the issue to rest by covering these knives under warranty. The damage from threads like this cost more than a few Sebenza repairs. To the contrary, when you have a relatively bullet proof product like CRK does, having a no-questions-asked warranty will sell many times more knives than will ever be abused and returned. Busse knows this. They sell gazillions of knives to people who croon about the warranty, only to put them into safes, never to be used. Unfortunately, it sounds like CRK has committed themselves to their limited warranty, which means they have to call existing customers liars (sometimes publicly), and put doubt in potential customers that they will be treated the same way.

BTW, I'm going to buy a lefty Umnum next week, so I'm not implying that my opinion of CRK has been damaged. Just providing my armchair business advice, for whatever it's worth.

I remember it catching at least once or twice, but it was never done hard, and when I felt resistance, I'd stop pressing on the blade and push over on the lock bar further. There was a lot of talk back then about over extending the lock bar, and I was worried about doing that, not being sure how far was too far. My standard procedure to close is to push the lock bar over with my thumb, then press up with my index finger when I think it's clear to start closing the blade.

I don't see that damage being done with one finger, plus the motion moves the finger sideways (i.e. spread apart from the middle) more than clenching into a fist, which is kind of awkward and not a strong movement. I could be wrong. And you could be right that just a few times was enough for the problem to amplify simply due to normal openings/closings. I am happy to take the blame; I just really want to know the cause so that it can be prevented from happening again! That's part of why I made the original thread and emailed CRK.

A lot of good points in the above post. How much bad press and headaches from the forums are they willing to put up with over a few lock bars?

Busse is probably a fair comparison; the amount of knives sold by CRK that are actually used, and used to the point of warranty work being a necessity, is soooo small compared to those that are sitting in safes/cases or being gingerly carried and only seeing light EDC work.

-sh00ter

I'm not going to recount my entire sebenzas life story, even though I can tell you how every scratch on the handles occurred. I've used my sebenza to cut:
Lemons
Limes
Cardboard
Plastic ends of squirt bottles
Paper
Plastic packaging
Food
Plastic bottles
Paracord

This is literally all I can think of. I don't think I've even whittled wood with my sebenza.

Im done defending myself here though. I'm sure I could tell you the entire life story of the knife and you'll still find some way to accuse me of abuse and misuse and excessive force and every other thing. Why would I, a person who barely has enough spare cash every week to eat, wail on a knife that costs my weekly income? It peeves me to no end that this item I cherished and took good friggin care of is now broken, and no-one believes me that I actually cared for it.

Do what i did, sold the crks i had and havnt looked back. Been enjoying the crap at of my XM for a year and a half of hard work at my plant nursery with no signs of wear besides scratching on the blade. Ce la vie

Do what i did, sold the crks i had and havnt looked back. Been enjoying the crap at of my XM for a year and a half of hard work at my plant nursery with no signs of wear besides scratching on the blade. Ce la vie

If you "havn't looked back" you wouldn't be trolling this room. Why else would you be coming here if you "haven't looked back".

BTW-Isn't there a room for Ricks knives.

Darth, did you ever send your knife in to CRK?

Wasnt signed into main page saw the activity and popped in. Trolling, just telling the guy he is fighting a battle he cant win and to move on. Wouldnt you like that? No crk bashing threads. Yeah there is a forum im there regularly thought i would suggest to the guy to come on over. My god are the crk fanboys sensitive

Wasnt signed into main page saw the activity and popped in. Trolling, just telling the guy he is fighting a battle he cant win and to move on. Wouldnt you like that? No crk bashing threads. Yeah there is a forum im there regularly thought i would suggest to the guy to come on over. My god are the crk fanboys sensitive

:thumbup:

Wasnt signed into main page saw the activity and popped in. Trolling, just telling the guy he is fighting a battle he cant win and to move on. Wouldnt you like that? No crk bashing threads

"haven't looked back" as you would say, should include not popping in to troll. Makes you look kinda bad.

btw- I'm not a CRK fanboy, or sensitive. Just don't take to kindly to trolls. You didn't erase that one in time.

Just cross your fingers that you dont have a warranty problem one day that you know isnt your fault. That would be quite ironic wouldnt it. I know what your gonna say i dont abuse my knives and so on and so on ......but one day lol. Look at how many posts i have had in this forum since my fire sale but when a topic like tnis comes up in wich i was on one side of in my life i have to speak up so that side is represented.

Just cross your fingers that you dont have a warranty problem one day that you know isnt your fault. That would be quite ironic wouldnt it. I know what your gonna say i dont abuse my knives and so on and so on ......but one day lol. Look at how many posts i have had in this forums since my fire sale but when a topic like tnis comes up in wich i was on one side of in my life i have to speak up so that side is represented

I did,lol. Have one from the late 90's that developed a sticky lock. No problem, I just sent it in last year, and got it back with a perfect lock up in just a few weeks:thumbup:

Just cross your fingers that you dont have a warranty problem one day that you know isnt your fault. That would be quite ironic wouldnt it. I know what your gonna say i dont abuse my knives and so on and so on ......but one day lol. Look at how many posts i have had in this forum since my fire sale but when a topic like tnis comes up in wich i was on one side of in my life i have to speak up so that side is represented.

ESL? Seriously

I did,lol. Have one from the late 80's that developed a sticky lock. No problem, I just sent it in last year, and got it back with a perfect lock up in just a few weeks:thumbup:
Hope you played the lottery that day

I honestly don't have the $10-20 it'll cost to send the knife in, and I especially can't justify that when they've already accused me of abusing the knife after me showing them those pictures. I'm pretty sure I was closing the knife too early, which I don't think qualifies as abuse. It would if I was putting a lot of pressure on the blade when doing so, but I haven't. If potential breakage comes with a locking mechanism, then what's the point? You can't really break an axis or compression or lockback by improperly closing them.

I honestly don't have the $10-20 it'll cost to send the knife in, and I especially can't justify that when they've already accused me of abusing the knife after me showing them those pictures. I'm pretty sure I was closing the knife too early, which I don't think qualifies as abuse. It would if I was putting a lot of pressure on the blade when doing so, but I haven't. If potential breakage comes with a locking mechanism, then what's the point? You can't really break an axis or compression or lockback by improperly closing them.

I wouldn't call closing the knife too early "abuse" persay, but that can really eat up the lock face and I can totally see why warranty would not cover that.

You can actually break axis locks by S-waving them out. I actually broke some omega springs on a Benchmade that I got fixed. I have since moved onto frame lock since I don't really like small moving pieces...

The reason Benchmade can replace your springs for free is because they are 1 cent springs. Have you ever seen them? A paper clip is probably worth more. So of course they can fix yours for free. On the other hand, a full Ti lock face is not so easy to fix. The man hours alone cost money, Ti isn't exactly cheap, and then on top of that the time and skill to fit it specifically for your knife. It is fairly easy to see why messed up lock bars from accelerated wear aren't exactly covered by warranty.

Different strokes for different folks. If you don't want to deal with clearing the lock ber every time, CRK is not for you. I'm not trying to be condescending in anyway, but there are different knives for different people. If you just want a knife to cut and beat up maybe just get a Benchmade or ZT. They will serve you just as well. Heck, even I have a few other knives that I beat up so my CRK doesn't be "abused."

I don't know if the problems with the lock face are abuse or not but I whole heartedly agree with 2bits. I have 2 sebenza's that I have regularly carried for over a year with zero issues but I would like to know if anything happens to one of them that I am covered. I do alot of hiking and camping and only buy ESEE fixed blades not because they are necessarily the greatest knives but because they are an affordable good quality knife and have a no questions asked warranty. Depending on what CRK's response is will determine future purchases for me. I'm not rich so when I spend my hard earned money on something that costs this much I want to know that I will be taken care of. I have never had a reason to contact CRK so I am not accusing them of poor customer service but it will be interesting now that they have decided to handle this situation publicly how it plays out.

Wow, I didn't know of this thread and all that's going on. I feel you Wolf, though I have never bought one of his products. After reading all this crap I think it is safe to say I won't be purchasing a knife from them. Only in America.:thumbup:
I'm not a nut in flicking my knife, I don't think I've flicked any knives since Wed. or Thurs. - but if I have to worry about the number of how many times I flick my freeking knife or HOW I do it...lol...it just kind of takes the enjoyment out of owning a knife. THEN if something happens to my knife that I didn't cause.....then THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY starts a thread to make me out the liar. {shaking my head and rolling my eyes}

Hey, go get you a HEST from DPx - Robert will have your back, yeah I read all the hoopla that happened in here but I have the second edition and I've never had a problem and if you do NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENED you have a LIFETIME guarantee. That is a guy that stands behind his products. Good luck Wolf but I have a feeling that when the company goes this far you are going to be played as the bad guy. Take care.:thumbup:

I love how he just assumes that's how I opened my sebenza. He must mistake me for a completely ignorant person.The way he opens it first in the video is the closest to how I opened mine. I dont see how anyone would open a knife like that and not expect lock damage. I do not expect the knife to work properly after wrist flicks but it should work fine after edc.

Also, in the results/pictures you can obviously see lock deformation cause by force. My lock looks nothing like that, There was merely a little flaking occuring.

I have provided a picture of my locks face. Notice only flaking of the heat treatment not the lock face deformation. Proof no spine whacks occured and no abused occured. Also, the knife in the video was forcefully flicked 8000+ times and there wasnt any real noticeable damage so what proof is this?

They didnt even do a video showing how they deformed the lock that bad. Convient isnt it? Im assuming to deform the lock that bad they had to spine whack the hell out of it and or baton with the knife, which I did neither of to mine.

Overall nothing I say is going to change Mr. Reeves opinion on the situation or change how I look in the minds of all of the spectators. All I have to say is when it happens to you, you will understand. I used to do nothing but praise his knives and completely neglect every other company, but that has since changed.

Good luck in your buisness practices Mr. Reeve and good luck to everyone using there CRK knife.

lockup3.jpg

spydusse- when you call Chris Reeve a "douche" , and you try to have a knife warrantied after already stating that you sharpened it but complained about something with the edge. Who are you trying to kid, you're nothing but a troll on this side of the forums. "Haven't looked back"? It's sad you still need to come in here to get some kind of attention.

I think you'll be the first i try out this ignore function. Tired of seeing idiocy around these forums. Go troll around somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back