AIG's Big Sexy Drop Top M-18 Sheath

BOOM!

IMG_1967.jpg

I've said before that the M-18 is a different animal altogether. To do the M-18 justice with the sheath, I had to completely change how I thought about sheaths and come up with some new concepts. It took me a while to iron out all the details, and a good kydex bender could do a lot prettier execution, but I am declaring this the perfect sheath for the M-18.

It works by trapping the tip under the front and supporting the blade along the bottom. The handle then pops into place to secure it.
IMG_1972.jpg

I designed the sheath to be used with a belt that can be removed easily. When you want to take the knife off, you just pop the buckle and release the whole mess. Wear two belts. All the cool kids are doing it now. The buckle is the kind that used to be used on the old Cessna and other small airplanes for seatbelts. Just press the button in the center and you are good to go, but it is impossible to release the belt without deliberately doing so.

I made the sheath so that you could carry it in the scout position, or just switch the way you thread the belt and you can carry it vertically as well.

IMG_1969.jpg

Here it is threaded for vertical carry:

IMG_1968.jpg

The knife is very secure in the sheath just the way it is, but I made it so that you could secure the knife absolutely if needed. All you have to do is slip a ranger band down over the bottom part of the sheath and nothing is moving.

IMG_1970-1.jpg

Another option to secure it there would be to take a piece of nylon strapping and attach a button snap so that you could just snap things in. I do not have the tooling to be able to do that.

I have two favorite features of the sheath. First, it allows the versatility to carry the knife either in the horizontal or vertical orientation. I prefer the way the knife feels in the horizontal position, but I can envision circumstances where I would want to carry it vertically. Second, and more importantly, it is cool. It is stylin' with a drop top that shows the hole. LOL!

Now that I have a good sheath and carry option for the knife, I'm taking it in the woods. Hopefully tomorrow I will get out for a little monkeybusiness.

Nice sheath man. Lately I have been considering running away from home and disappearing into the deep woods of the north...I may have to put more thought into this M-18 thing :D

If you could see me now AIG you'd see that your getting a standing ovation. Excellent! I love the thought that went into it. Would love to offer it with my knives but unfortunately don't have that kind of time to devote to each knife for a sheath. Making the knife is labor intensive enough...................... Outstanding! Hopefully you can get out and play with it now!

That is awesome. I need to get with someone that can teach me how to do Kydex and work out something like this. I am impressed, that is for sure.

You could probably also take a side release buckle and use that to secure the knife instead of using a snap if you don't have the tools to do it, a quick 5/8th side release with a 1/2" strap would work for where the ranger band is.

As it is, that is a BAD ASS rig sir! I like it a LOT!

Thats an awesome design bro. It looks like you spent some time figuring this one out and it paid off in FULL. The only issues i have is the orange but it seems im in the minority group with that and everyone is in a orange frenzy lately but either way it looks amazing!

Good work.

Second belt is definitely the way to roll with the big knives.

You haven't dyed those scales orange yet? :D

that deserves an award.
If you can carry that thing scout and still walk a straight line with your new 15-degree list, that would deserve a second award.

that deserves an award.
If you can carry that thing scout and still walk a straight line with your new 15-degree list, that would deserve a second award.
That's what I was thinking. I'd make about 3 AIG'S and scout carry never occured to me. Outstanding work, Iowa.

Back