1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Allen Putman scales

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by 91bravo, Mar 11, 2017.

1. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I got some blue ones in for my Manix XL and did another little Saturday project!

[​IMG]

The Manix XL stepped side of the pivot is on the presentation side this time
    [​IMG]

All disassembled
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blue lok tite on all of the screws makes disassembly a breeze!
    [​IMG]

All out together with blue lok tite and Tuf Glide. As always, perfect fit and finish!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And an outside shot to see the real color of the scales!
    [​IMG]

2. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    I got my Para 3 in and decided I would customize it a little bit! It's a bit on the smaller side and I tend to gravitate towards larger folders, so we'll see after a few days of carrying, if I'm going to keep it or not. Regardless, it's a sweet blade and Spyderco's CQI never ceases to amaze me! This one is a perfect example of a folder!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Allen Putman makes some really nice scales
    [​IMG]

Right hand clip side is the stepped side of the pivot. Very crucial when you go to adjust pivot tension, as the stepped side is different on different models.
    [​IMG]

All assembled with perfect fit and finish!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Looks excellent Bravo!!
    I put Allen's scales on a bunch of my Spydies!! You're right, perfect fit!
    Joe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Oh those look great! I don't think I have ever seen them on a Millie or Yo!

5. palonej

Aug 5, 2015
    Thanks bro!! Allen's scales make these feel so much better in hand!

6. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Yes they do! Allen and Steve (bommer52) are my go to for aftermarket Spydie scales. That red looks good with the Cruwear!

7. MAD777

MAD777

Aug 3, 2011
    Those are definitely some handsome scales!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. skers95

skers95 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Those orange scales looks great on the Para 3! Thanks for sharing the build pics.

9. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I've got some Putman orange grooved scales on my PM2 and love them. I got them slightly used for a song and a dance, and I can't do either of those things well. Fitment was perfect and they feel very comfy in hand.

10. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    I was gonna get the Manix XL scales from Boomer52 but he didn't have a file for them. I think those orange grooved ones used to belong to me and I sold the whole knife to another member, who sold the scales off!

11. photoman12001

photoman12001 Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2008
    I'm pretty "meh" on my PM2 but I love the Putman scales that I installed on it. I probably won't install any on my Manix 2s because they feel perfect to me but I threw them on some ZT 0566s.
    I bought a set for my Karahawk but those had an issue so I stuck with the factory scales.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 31, 2012
    Those look great. I have an older Manix 2 that needs a face lift. Ill hve to check out what is available.

13. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    If so, then I owe you a "thank you". With a few options for aftermarket scales by providers here on the forum, the Putman scales were not really on my radar. But because the orange ones became available at a good price, I gave them a shot. I'm very happy with them.

14. Kels73

Kels73 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Your Manix 2 XL looks great with that mod. This is the first time I've ever seen a good picture of the Putnam honeycomb scales up close. I really like them.

Did they change the weight/balance of the knife?

15. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    They are thicker in hand than the factory scales. Not very much, but enough to notice the slight increase in girth. They make the knife slightly heavier, but not exactly sure. They beefen up the knife pretty good though. Allen has a 15% off sale right now with free shipping.

16. palonej

Aug 5, 2015
    I've also found Allen's are a tiny bit thicker than stock. Personally, I prefer the way they feel.
    Joe

17. Kels73

Kels73 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Good to know. Thanks.

18. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Yes, Allen's scales are slightly thicker giving the knife a more robust feel to them!

19. GJJGrappler

GJJGrappler

May 19, 2006
    91bravo. Looks like you used Benchmade torx bits. i just had a bad experience with a newly purchased Para 2. Used my BM torx bits and the screws stripped. I blamed it on the screws - they seemed "soft." But I was ripped by some other board members for using BM torx and not Wiha. Thoughts? Any problems with your BM torx?

20. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    I've never used WiHa bits before and have NEVER stripped a screw. Not that WiHa is bad or anything, but I think most of it is technique. If you're having to use a whole bunch of torque on a T6 screw, then something is wrong and it looks like you'll have to break the red lok tite loose first.