Amsterdam Meet 2012 Report

All fantastic knives!

That said...I am a sucker for anything that has a "ethnic" inspired design... So I absolutely love the Puukko (though I probably won't purchase one because I already own something quite similar: a Helle Viking), but I was absolutely blown out of the water by the Nilakka! B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! I gotta get me a pair of these!

Please someone tell me that the Nilakka is not only an exercise in style, but that it's going to be produced. Sal, you got a winner with this one, just produce it!!! :)

Please someone tell me that the Nilakka is not only an exercise in style, but that it's going to be produced. Sal, you got a winner with this one, just produce it!!! :)

Everything I can share here is a production prototype which means Spyderco wants to make it in its present form - or something really close to it.

Spyderco 2012 Production Prototype – Pekka Tuominen Nilakka

By this time during the meet I was busy taking the photos. Subsequently, I didn’t catch much info about this model from Sal or Eric. I hope some of the other attendees can add their info on this model.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_nilakka.jpg

To me, this knife was a lovely surprise. I love the design and engineering to make it truly look like a traditional Puukko with a modern twist. The knife seemed to me to have 3,5 to 4 inch blade. The blade is zero-ground. The nick in the edge you see in these photos was the result of accidentally dropping the prototype. The blade just flies open and the handle seemed very ergonomic. Odd though, considering the boxy look of the handle. The knife seemed about as heavy as a typical 4-inch G10 Spydie. I’m extremely interested in trying out this unique design.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_nilakka_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_nilakka_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_nilakka_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_nilakka_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_nilakka_clip1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_nilakka_closed.jpg

I like the looks of the folding puukko, but the tip looks very thin and fragile. I'd prefer it with a more robust tip, like that on the FB puukko.

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Laci Szabo Folder

The Szabo folder is still in development. The most striking change is the handle material. Another challenge with this huge folder is the self-close mechanism that works separately from the lock.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_szabo.jpg

Spyderco is now considering using a new type of carbon fiber, inspired by ‘lightning strike carbon fiber’. This concept was originally designed by Boeing for use in airplane parts. By weaving strands of metal in with the carbon fiber, the material becomes better protected against…lighting strikes. This is likely not lightning strike CF but 'Golden Carbon Fiber'. It sure looks striking. The folder was designed as an MBC folder that complements Laci’s method of reverse grip knife fighting.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_szabo_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_szabo_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_szabo_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_szabo_logo.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_szabo_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_szabo_handle.jpg

Last edited:
Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Laci Szabo Folder

Another challenge with this huge folder is the self-close mechanism that works separately from the lock.

Can anyone elaborate on this point a bit farther? The pictures make it look like a compression lock. What kind of "self close" mechanism is in place?

Mr Blonde, you take GREAT photographs! I appreciate the time and effort you put into sharing them with us.

It's always a treat to see what comes out from the Amsterdam meet. Thanks for the pics. I'm looking forward to see these knives in person.

Can anyone elaborate on this point a bit farther? The pictures make it look like a compression lock. What kind of "self close" mechanism is in place?

Perhaps Eric from 2011 at the German IWA show can explain a bit more:

[video=youtube_share;dnOBApMsXKU]http://youtu.be/dnOBApMsXKU[/video]

Back