1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Another "Hi Newbie here" thread!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by HIPunch, Sep 19, 2012.

1. HIPunch

HIPunch

Sep 1, 2012
    Hi all,

Been lurking for some time and scheming and planning my first knife. Have read and continue to peruse the stickies and various threads and made sure to fill out my profile.
    So where am I at in terms of this adventure?? I have a blank made out of wood (paint stirrer), got a piece of 1084 steel from Aldo (great guy and fun to talk to on the phone). Luckily, when I decided to start making knives I was able to find a couple local to me who do this type of work. I was able to visit their shop and get some great tips and encouragement. They also loaned me two books to help get started, "How to Make Knives" by Barney and Loveless and "Blade's Guide to Making Knives" Joe Kertzman. Thanks to Vince and Grace Evans for being so open to a newbie!!!
    In terms of equipment I have one Mill Bastard file, two clamps, hacksaw, and lots of enthusiasm haha. Hopefully I can get the early pictures posted. Please don't hesitate to critique, suggest, or point and laugh as I begin this undertaking.

Aloha,
    Klay

Picture link from my Google Plus account (hopefully) https://plus.google.com/photos/118364099054315512999/albums/5790055914361138097

2. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    Put the file down and step away from the steel:D
    Prepare to be significantly poorer,hunched over in a corner with a magnavisor on chasin stray scratches,till the neighbors and you kids start talking about you.Run while you still can.:D
    Welcome to our addiction and that's a nice looking pattern.

Stan

3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Welcome.

4. TheOTBalisong

TheOTBalisong

Jun 28, 2012
    Indeed. :cool:

5. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009