Any advice for first Time G 10 Sander

I'm solving the problem of trying to use what I consider to be a great 21st-century pocketknife with a 2XL hand (I have fitted my own rifle's furniture, and worked refinishing cabinets). Considering G10 thickness and size I will be mostly doing carefully finessed sanding.
I am going to:
1) put a thumb stud ramp on the left panel of the BM940–1501;
2) notch along the opposite upper forward panel so my index finger will index;
3) increase traction using a Contego like pattern as a starting point;
4) I would also like to slightly reveal more of the jumping top and bottom like ApostleP did with his 710-D2.
5) swap out the stock clip with a black split arrow.
I've looked at all the attachments over at Dremel, and just got a refurbished 4200, waiting for accessory bits and some practice G10 in the same thickness and colors that I will cut down to a similar sized rectangle as the knife. I will be using a big old vice with scraps of ash to protect the knife. As a pattern I'm using calipers, and Gimp to resize and reduce image opacity of a Contego 1401 overlaid on my 940 (might have to false color one or the other at some point).
thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

A Dremel works well.
Also, and I really cant stress this enough, wear a respirator or some kind of 3m mask at the very least.
G10 dust will ruin your day if you start breathing it in.

Yeah, not the best thing to be breathing in, but nowhere near as bad as carbon fiber! That stuff is the devil! You don't need anything special. G10 is super easy to work with. Just be careful with the Dremel. It will eat G10 up in a hurry if you let it. Go slow, measure often and do not try to finish with the Dremel. Finish by hand with sand paper, files, etc.

Yes, I do need new cans for my 3M mask, and will wear shatter resistant glasses and gloves.
Yeh, the finest sanding drum Dremel offers is 240... I 've got some round stock left over from pinewood derby days to wrap 400 wet/dry on. I'm interested in roughing up the G10 practice piece with wire wheels, course drums, shaping stones, n cutters. Tactile indexing fields is what I'm after (more subtle then checkering), as well as separation, stops and general traction increase... not steampunk though.

Back