1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Anyone tried Camillus Beast?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by muradtexas, Jul 25, 2012.

1. muradtexas

muradtexas

Apr 7, 2012
    Saw it at Walmart. Tanto blade. Made in Taiwan, I think. Says it's VG-10 steel with G-10 handles. Has some silly gimmicks for walmart people on the package, but was wondering if anyone has any real life experience with it.

2. broe

broe

May 8, 2011
    blade is titanium btw......with the carbo nitride/vg 10 steel edge....or something....IDK...made in china doesn't work for me....

3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    The blade is not titanium. It's "titanium carbonitride" coated. It also doesn't make sense to me that they're VG-10 and made in China since VG-10 isn't exported as a raw material. Rather it's probably the Chinese equivalent, but that means you don't get Japanese standards of quality control in the steel production.

4. pyro777

pyro777

Sep 15, 2008
    I just saw the knife today too at wallyworld, pretty big, alittle gimmicky but Id like to play with it abit just to see what its like.

5. muradtexas

muradtexas

Apr 7, 2012
    I've read that Acme United is producing Camillus knives these days. From what I read, it's not good news.

6. Mephtyrm

Mephtyrm

Jan 23, 2011
    Well, Kershaw/Zero Tolerance somehow got Hitachi to export ZDP-189, so getting VG-10 doesn't seem impossible.

7. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Acme owns the "new" Camillus--yes. It was initially not good news because they came out with a bunch of Chinese-made models of dubious quality, but they introduced some new USA-made models this year. My guess is that they had to contract the work out to start off with with so they could generate capital for property, plant, and equipment to restart USA production. That doesn't mean the offshore stuff is going to disappear, but I'm very pleased with their decision to reopen a USA production center. That's no small move on their part!

8. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Ah--but remember that KAI, Kershaw/ZT's parent, is a Japanese company. That probably helped a lot in terms of orchestrating something like that.

9. ngtwlf2

ngtwlf2

Oct 29, 2005
    I picked one up the other day from Walmart and so far I'm impressed with it. It is pretty heavy, but keep in mind it is a big knife. Out of the package it needed a little help to get where I wanted it to be. I took it apart and took a little tension off the lock bar because it was way to tight. It had to be touched up with a 204 and used some benchmade blue lube and it opens great. There is no blade play and the fit and finish is good for what it is. I picked it up for a user, so we will see how it holds up.

10. muradtexas

muradtexas

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks for the input everyone. ngtwlf2 (nightwolf, is it?) please keep us posted. I'd like to learn more about the quality of a blade.

11. TheMonsterTruk

TheMonsterTruk

Aug 13, 2012
    No no, the blade is VG-10 with I THINK is basically a glorified TiNi coating. Also, made in china knives can be very good. The Spyderco Tenacious, for example: very popular knife. Really, a reliable company outsourcing certain knives to other countries for a cheaper price just makes the tolerances a little lower, that's all. I got a kershaw drone and it's a good knife, the only thing is that the blade steel is cheaper and on the softer side. But depending on who you are it shouldn't really matter with the blade steel, as long as it's not like the hardness of cookie dough or something.

12. TheMonsterTruk

TheMonsterTruk

Aug 13, 2012
    What did you do to relieve tension on the lock bar? I want to do that, too.

13. TheMonsterTruk

TheMonsterTruk

Aug 13, 2012
    I just got mine today, the only complaint I have is that the grind is at a very obtuse angle, making slicing somewhat more difficult, and the liner lock is just a LIIIIIIIITTLE bit recessed in the handle so it's a little hard to reach, but there's a little spot in the presentation side of the handle where part of the steel liner has been left out. I bet I can take away the part of the scale that is directly above that and leave a little room to reach the lock.

14. Etoews

Etoews

Jul 20, 2012
    I've had mine for a couple of months now and while generally impressed with the fit and finish of the knife, the 'carboniride' coating is starting to chip off. have been trying to get in touch with camillus regarding how this is going to affect the underlying steel and as of yet three emails and two phone calls have gone unanswered :(

15. Frankie-5-Knives

Frankie-5-Knives

Nov 13, 2012
    I went to look at one the other day at Walmart. The guy behind the counter said they're not allowed to show the knives over the counter to anyone. That's why they're in the glass display case. I told him I just wanted to see how it feels and functions in my hand. He apologized and said they wont let him. I told him, well you're not going to make any sales then. And walked away.

I'm curious about it as well. Inlaws want to get me something for Xmas and I was looking at this for a decent inexpensive worker.

16. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    The coating is just a coating. All it does is add some corrosion resistance and make it "look cool." I wouldn't worry about that aspect, but the fact you haven't received an official response in spite of repeated attempts to contact them doesn't bode well for their customer service.

17. Kyui Su Kim

Kyui Su Kim

Aug 26, 2000
    Thanks folks for the honest reviews. I was honestly interested in this knife but need to wait till I get home to pick it up.

18. Bear Claw Chris Lappe

Bear Claw Chris Lappe Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    You either had a lazy employee, or an idiot, I've never been told that and I have knives handed over the counter to me at WM all the time.

19. camoninja

camoninja

Feb 11, 2007
    Same here.

20. Sgt_Weaver

Sgt_Weaver

Nov 26, 2012
    I managed th sporting goods dept. For wally-world and i did all the time. That assoicate must be defective