1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Are pull-through sharpeners that bad?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by fireincairo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. fireincairo

fireincairo

Feb 21, 2011
    I haven't seen one thread recommending these types of sharpeners. Are they really that bad for putting an edge on a knife? Are the other options really that much better?

I found a SOG pull-through sharpener for cheap, is it crap?

2. xtal

xtal

Jan 20, 2011
    Would you classify the Spyderco Sharpmaker as "pull-through"?

3. Noctis3880

Noctis3880 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2009
    They're good for touchups and nothing else. The ceramic ones would be my recommendation, while the carbide ones will chew up your blade.

I personally don't find any use for them, as I've never managed to dull my edge that significantly in a single day of use.

4. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    yes. . . Unless the intent is to mangle your edge, then they are wonderful.

5. jill jackson

jill jackson Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2006
    No, it's a sharpener you use by coming down on the rods, you don't merely pull it through straight at all.
    This is a "pull through" any of the rod in block sharpeners aren't.
    [​IMG]

6. thegeek574

thegeek574

Sep 3, 2010
    yes. they are built to be idiot proof. it is really simple, but it takes a ton of metal off. probably good for reprofiling.

7. dsmegst

dsmegst

Jul 21, 2009
    Personally, I wouldn't even go that far. The angles on these sharpeners are so obtuse, you'd be doing yourself a disservice.

An emergency field sharpener is about all they're good for but there are much better options for field sharpening.

8. Rat Finkenstein

May 18, 2005
    Reprofiling is usually done at a thinner angle, the pull throughs tear tons of metal off the edge at a blunt angle.

9. jill jackson

jill jackson Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2006
    You see a lot of people using the pull through in kitchens. Where the knife wouldn't get any sharpening unless it was something simple and quick to use. I haven't seen one yet that would give a satisfactory edge, so I think they are nearly useless.

10. guitarhead1

guitarhead1

Dec 17, 2010
    I use them for my kitchen knives. I use the Chef's Choice Commercial to get my primary edge, and then use a pull thru whenever it starts to dull. This system works very well for me.

11. trimcut123

trimcut123 Banned BANNED

Feb 15, 2007
    Those sharpeners are great at ruining blades. Typically what some of my friends use, followed by me fixing it. I would recommend a sharp maker or something similar. You have more angle options and alot more control over the results.
    Matt

12. ericb445

ericb445

Jan 29, 2006
    Yes
    I only use them from time to time on my cheap Friends knives that are soooo screwed up they give to me to fix, they are thrilled with the so-so results that I give them. I would not use them on my personal blades, but I know how to take care of my tools.

13. Rat Finkenstein

May 18, 2005
    Those electric "sharpeners" are even worse than the carbide notch type.

14. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    They are great if this is how you like your edge.

[​IMG]

15. fireincairo

fireincairo

Feb 21, 2011
    OUCH! I think this picture pretty much sums up the answer. :D Thanks, everyone.

16. ajbuckelew

ajbuckelew

May 22, 2010
    Ive found that the Benchmade sharpeners aren't too too bad, I only use it for very bad edges and I find that I can do better work with tips on my sharpmaker after I use the pull through, I don't have a nice enough camera to capture the edge it puts but yes it does take off a lot of metal.

17. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    I hate carbide pull through sharpeners with a deep and abiding hatred for what they do to an edge.