1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Are the horn handles always black?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by danboy357, Jul 14, 2012.

1. danboy357

danboy357 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2012
    I know it sounds dumb but I just want to be sure. I never saw a brown water buffalo horn either.

2. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    For the most part yes.
    Although some may have white streaks in them (most common) and some may have varying reds, blues or greens to them (Not very common) and still some may be a bit translucent. Some will also be a translucent light brown which we call "white horn" and is rather rare.

3. abdelhazred

abdelhazred

Feb 16, 2010
    Are these ever used for handles, or are streaked horns considered flawed?

4. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    They are used all the time, streaks/hues are not considered flaws as they are a natural occurrence we have no control over. Some people actually like them alot and feel it gives the handle more character. The white horn, though, being rarest, will command a higher price.

5. danboy357

danboy357 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2012
    I would definately not mind streaks in my horn! Handle.

6. wildmanh

wildmanh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 9, 2000
    I have at least 1 Khukri with streaks in it's horn handle and it sure is pretty!

7. Duzzy

Duzzy

Sep 1, 2009
    IIRC there was an M43 at one point with beautiful translucent horn scales. It was in one of the old pictures threads I think.

8. kronckew

kronckew Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 17, 2003
    it also comes in green with white streaks...
    View attachment 289564
    The two long thin white streaks on the smooth part of the grip
    are reflections from my flash. the whitish streaks are in the carved part on the right.

my whole kopis sword/knife just for kicks:
    View attachment 289565

(the kamis had been watching the 2004 film 'alexander' when they made a run of these at HI)
    View attachment 289566

they called it the 'Bhairab'.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  9. nepki

nepki

Feb 6, 2012
    Hey there, just wanted to show examples of other colored water buffalo horns:
    horn handles 1.JPG

This is a custom folder with almost translucent horns:
    IMG_1076_resize.jpg
    IMG_1080_resize.jpg

Take care.:)