Armor Piercing .308

does anyone shoot it?
anyone get decent groups?
i think i could use a supply for when zombies get smart and find a stash or armor.

7.62 NATO 'black tips'?
They shoot hot and kick like a mule. My ex was shooting a foot high at at least 500 yards, didn't manage to sight in. Don't know where there were gotten, but they didn't know what they were till I googled it. They were Lake City 1968, so they're still around.

Not worth it as Zed ammo, don't want to beat your rifle or your self up. Besides, what armor could they put on that would stop a full size rifle round?

EDIT: my bad, I speak of 30-06 AP

Last edited:
Back when I was in the army, I bought a .308 sporter. There seemed to be a lot of ammunition lying around.... (This was mid-60s) Including a lot of National Match brass that I sent home.
Anyway, we went out to range one day with some garden-variety ball ammo and found a chunk of 3/8" cold-rolled steel plate nearby.
We set it up at 100 yards just to see what would happen...

Those rounds blew 1/2" holes right through the plate, and tore a nice hole in the railroad-tie backing as well. Bullets were totally fragmented, of course.
Can't imagine you'd need the AP stuff for any reasonable use.

I wonder how .458 solids compare with .223 or .308 AP, as far as body armor, or regular .444 Marlin.

Bad guys can get armor too, especially when they're planning a home invasion.

I wonder how .458 solids compare with .223 or .308 AP, as far as body armor, or regular .444 Marlin.

Its hard to beat a .308 for accuracy, energy and availability. If you want something for protection in a home invasion situation, that will take care of body armor, get a S&W 500 with heavy loads and feel confident.;)

7.62 NATO 'black tips'?
They shoot hot and kick like a mule. My ex was shooting a foot high at at least 500 yards, didn't manage to sight in. Don't know where there were gotten, but they didn't know what they were till I googled it. They were Lake City 1968, so they're still around.

Not worth it as Zed ammo, don't want to beat your rifle or your self up. Besides, what armor could they put on that would stop a full size rifle round?

No .308 kicks like a mule, not even when approaching maximum pressures with a bolt rifle. Military ammo is not loaded to maximum pressures, either.
Accuracy will depend on the gun much more than the ammo.

Blunt force trauma from a large bore rifle will get the job done in most cases. While not specifically armor piercing, a round that will go through tough African hides would be pretty effective against most things civilians think of using with armor.

Military armor is a totally different thing.

"No .308 kicks like a mule, not even when approaching maximum pressures with a bolt rifle. "

I had one (and only one) experience with one that did... This was back around the same time as the incident I described. Another army buddy had bought a super-light Sako sporter in .308, the thing only weighed 6.5 pounds or so. Man, that was nasty....

I am always reminded of those two bankrobbers in Hollywood, some years back. They had AKs if I remember.

Let's say someone was placed out of their sight (200 meters or so?), on a rooftop or behind a tree or whatever, what commercial readily available hunting caliber/ammo would do the job (defeat their armor, center of mass) from a bolt, single-shot or a lever gun?

Obviously, hitting them in the head would be best, if possible.

Last edited:
I am always reminded of those two bankrobbers in Hollywood, some years back. They had AKs if I remember.

Let's say someone was placed out of their sight (200 meters or so?), on a rooftop or behind a tree or whatever, what commercial readily available hunting caliber/ammo would do the job (defeat their armor, center of mass) from a bolt, single-shot or a lever gun?

Obviously, hitting them in the head would be best, if possible.

I still say .308 with Hornady, PMC Factory Ammo. There are many other great factory ammo brands as well. Also, a .300 WM will do but with more recoil.

I have a Remington 700 .308 with a heavy 24in. barrel and it is a tack driver. I just bought a DPMS LR-308 with a heavy match barrel. I love the .308 cartridge for its accuracy, range, accessibility and for what it does, affordability.

I had been looking at that. All I've ever been able to find is they used "homemade body armor and steel trauma plates", "weighed about 3 boiling balls" (30-45lbs). A vest and level III steel plates are like 25lbs, they could have easily had level IV plates

Anyway, level 3 plates will stop .308 and level 4 will stop 30-06 AP. Aiming center of mass its stupid when you can clearly see how armored they are

"No .308 kicks like a mule, not even when approaching maximum pressures with a bolt rifle. "

I had one (and only one) experience with one that did... This was back around the same time as the incident I described. Another army buddy had bought a super-light Sako sporter in .308, the thing only weighed 6.5 pounds or so. Man, that was nasty....

It is also true that recoil is very subjective. Some people are very sensitive to it, others not so much.

Thats what deer slugs are for :)

thats exactly what i was thinking then i read your post and was like hah. If my buckhammers dont penetrate their armour it will sure as sh@t collapse their chest, also a nula with an ultralight scope with full power 180 gr .308 kicks like a mule. a mule i tell you.

I had been looking at that. All I've ever been able to find is they used "homemade body armor and steel trauma plates", "weighed about 3 boiling balls" (30-45lbs). A vest and level III steel plates are like 25lbs, they could have easily had level IV plates

Anyway, level 3 plates will stop .308 and level 4 will stop 30-06 AP. Aiming center of mass its stupid when you can clearly see how armored they are

Did they have any armor on their heads and necks? Is there such a thing?

With an accurate, heavy barrel rifle with a bipod, that's a pretty decent size area to aim at.

Also, would a regular .50 BMG defeat Level IV plate?

[youtube]bw94nN5qc_M[/youtube]

Last edited:
Back