Back to the Basics (Final Pictures added)

Thanks Roger.. I think it's 8" over-all.. but the knife is out in the shop.

I was a bit skeptical on that oak until I rubbed some Danish oil in it.. then I smiled. You should see the gigantic old log it came from!

Scott,

That's a neat looking knife. The textures, especially including the blade finish, of all the materials are a big part of it's appeal.

I really like the way the "random" collar filework accents the grain of the oak and the guard.

I'd love to see a JS candidate stretch the "art side" like this,

John

I love the knife overall, and even the rough wrought iron guard. That has nice character. :)

I disagree, John. Don't even think about this 'historical' filework for a JS test piece. If they are looking for fitment perfection and symmetry, then you are going to get a harsh lesson.

I hate to say this, but I don't like it. That's the only thing.

I rarely wish to comment negatively, but there is too much at stake in JS test knives to allow you to take a wrong path. :thumbup:

And I hope I'm wrong, but I need to submit this opinion.

Coop

That's a great looking little knife my friend but when it comes to the ABS Judges, as you are well aware of, it only takes one of the five knives submitted to put you out of the running and booking a flight to either San Antonio or Atlanta again...

I've heard Mr. Hughes and Dr. Batson give their dissertation on what the ABS Judges look for and, IMHO, 'perfect' form/fit/finish will win the day. ;)

Jim this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thank you. Are you saying that the random nature of the file work would be inappropriate for a test knife? And are you just saying that you don't like the style of file work or the execution? I've been told a number of times to consider that everything you do.. whether it's a requirement or not.. will be evaluated. In that light... if this was indeed a knife for submission (it's not.. in fact it is already sold).. then I would NOT even consider adding the file work. I probably would've just went with a guard or plain collar. Thanks again.. This is what I was looking for on this knife.. to make real progress in my work.

Dudley I posted at the same time you did... thanks for your feedback as well.

Just make sure you completely familiarize yourself with the testing criteria, Scott.
That's where all your questions are answered.

"No etched or "primitive" finishes are desired. You are being tested for your ability to satisfactorily finish the surfaces of your knives. Hand-rubbed or correctly buffed finishes are satisfactory."

"Please don't anticipate "wowing" the judges with something completely out of the ordinary. With the quality of the judges employed (Dean, Dunn, Keeslar, Fisk, etc.) it is highly doubtful that you will accomplish this. Your knives need not be ornate; they must be well-conceived and executed. The best bet is to stick with traditional or established designs...remember, this is only a test and a one-time requirement. You are free to carry on as you will, once the test is finished."

"The by-word here is CLEAN! By that, I mean all of the lines should flow properly, blades should be straight, and your finishes should be as impeccable as you can make them. No tool marks, file marks, gaps, or excess solder should be in evidence. No filled and re-drilled pin holes, and your grind lines should be even and symmetrical. Pay particular attention to the "shoulders" where your blade flats join the ricasso. This is the first place the judges will look. Please - make your blades straight and make sure the guard, handle, etc. line up properly with the blade. Ovals should be symmetrical, and guards should be centered. "

Thanks again folks. But I really shouldn't have asked for input from a JS perspective knowing full well that this isn't the sort of knife that I would submit for the reasons stated above i.e. etched wrought iron for the guard that has it's own imperfections that I can't control and random, primitive style file work on the spacer.. But... I do hope that I'm getting on the right track in terms of over-all fit, finish and geometry.

And I agree.
With your talent, Scott, you'll be in the zone in no time.
I think you can rest easy at night. ;)

Thanks again folks. But I really shouldn't have asked for input from a JS perspective knowing full well that this isn't the sort of knife that I would submit for the reasons stated above i.e. etched wrought iron for the guard that has it's own imperfections that I can't control and random, primitive style file work on the spacer.. But... I do hope that I'm getting on the right track in terms of over-all fit, finish and geometry.

Scott,

I try real hard not to comment on ABS matters over the internet. Statements directed to a single person get generalized, and no longer apply. Should have kept to my habit.

In addition, though I judged at the JS level for three years, I'm no longer on the panel.

Scott, the testing criteria quoted by Karl are explicit, and are the best guide to the straight-forward, professional level work required of applicants.

I hope not to have suggested you take a stroll down the primrose path.

Still, I like this knife particularly well, and feel the collar ties the whole look together. So, there...

John

John.... Thanks a lot... Your comments always mean a lot to me. But I really shouldn't have brought up ABS testing myself. My original intention with this thread was to highlight basic fit and finish issues that I'm working on... with the intent to test in 2013. And then I mucked it up by bringing up JS testing. I am on this path.. but this knife is only meant to be a step in the right direction. At least I hope it is... :-O

For an actual test knife, keep it simple, keep it clean and follow the guidelines.

Thank you Roger... well this is all better advice than I thought! I just found out that I can test at the upcoming Blade. So here we go....

Back