Ballpeen hammer head tomahawks

Do you hollow out the octagonal peen on the pipe hawks, to make them functional? If so, how?

I center and drill first with a 1/8 bit to connect the bowl to the haft hole,then drill the actual bowl part with a larger bit depending on the overall size of the bowl. I try to keep a 3/32 to 1/8 (appox.) bowl wall thickness. I purchase the hafts pre drilled.

Hi Stuart, good looking stuff. Where do you get your hafts? And how do you finish them? Quick burn, then tung and bees wax? The couple hawks I've made I ended up using hickory axe replacement handles, cutting and shaping to fit. Thanks.

Hi Stuart, good looking stuff. Where do you get your hafts? And how do you finish them? Quick burn, then tung and bees wax? The couple hawks I've made I ended up using hickory axe replacement handles, cutting and shaping to fit. Thanks.

Quick burn,a little leather dye sometimes ,then tung oil and beeswax. Thats the way I do it. I purchase the pipe hawk hafts from R.E.Davis Co. I see where Crazy Crow has started selling pre drilled blanks also. The spike and poll hawk hafts I hand make myself

I'm VERY new here and am trying to absorb as much of this info as possible. Great forum and appears to be great info. Keep it coming!! I'm into tomahawks and have been for some time. Glad to be here, thanks for having me!!

Back