Review BB13 processing 8"+ Douglas Fir tree.

AZTimT

The Stripetition Finish Guy
It's been a while since I posted a chopping thread or review. Life's been busy out on road the past few 5 years. I am starting up my own business creating custom concrete hardscaping as well as dirt work with the tractor, so in between projects I am getting back to having some time to do things around home again.

Anyhow, part of those chores involve clearing trees for fire prevention with the bonus of providing firewood to heat our cabin in the winter. Since my boys are getting big enough to help, they participated in this one last month. The picture quality isn't great due to the time of evening, but you will still get the idea.

This particular fir tree was in the path of a new ramp I am building off of the driveway, so it had to go. I don't like tripping on stumps in the dark or running into them with expensive machines, so I dig them out with my backhoe and bury the stumps in one of my numerous dirt moving projects. Seeing a machine rip a tree out of the ground always gets some interesting reactions.
21q1i0.jpg

Since the backhoe was holding up the stump attached to the tree trunk, I figured it would be as a good a position as any to chop the stump off with the BB13.
2vlnmm8.jpg

Ready to be delimbed.
2cylfm1.jpg

First I delimbed the whole tree in about 10 minutes using the BB13. The boys and I also were moving the branches to where they would get buried at the same time. It's fun working with the little guys and teaching them how to be useful little man cubs with a good work ethic.
2vigt5j.jpg

zso4cn.jpg

1zc1jys.jpg

5f1xfl.jpg

Moving on to the trunk chopping, the base was about 10-12" in diameter, but the thumb bucket was in the way there, so I moved up to where it was 8-10" thick with no risk of hitting the pretty orange tractor.
16a9vdk.jpg

I chopped for one minute and then stopped to take this pic.
25ztqv8.jpg

I take my time chopping so as not to run out of steam or develop an injury. That's code for I'm getting older/slower and I don't bounceback like I did before time became my kryptonite. :eek::D So here is 4 minutes of total chopping time at a leisurely pace.
fapov4.jpg

This was at 7 minutes chopping before I asked my 5 year old son to be the camera man with my phone. Video follows this pic.
2v7z1he.jpg

Amateur video is up!

At the very end, I lopped off the crown for another photo op, but the lighting was getting really bad.
2zokzg0.jpg

The BB13 CG is pretty much exactly how I thought and hoped for years that it would turn out to be. A lightweight, hard hitting, efficient chopper that can work well at other tasks too. While I had initially hoped for an INFI version of the 1311, and still do, this design has a lot of strengths to it for a woodsman. The recurved portion of the blade can be used as a draw knife to peel bark or plane a log. This could allow one to build a log shelter from chopping down, delimbing, debarking, planing, and notching logs into the form needed to build a home all with one 24oz tool. That's pretty impressive for a basic "knife". :D I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! ;)

Last edited:
Awesome Tim, it looks like a chopping machine from your pics and....well you must be also. :thumbsup: I'd like to have a Moabbolo but the handle on that knife looks sooo! comfy and the cost is way less also. Thanks for the review.

Fantastic pics man. Those 13s are certainly beasts of knives. I have the Battle Grade version and it's a machine.

That's just awesome Tim. Loved the boys' reactions, and WHAT a WHACKER that knife turned out to be! Seems one of those "B's" must stand for Beast! Great, great heavy machete. :cool::cool::cool:

Thanks for the review and all the pix!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I set the video to upload via satellite during the unmetered hours and it looks like it is up now.

Nice pics and Vid. I just KNEW it was you when I saw the backhoe and the boys. How are the crazy cows/Yaks?

aka Skunk Hunter in the yard.

Nice pics and Vid. I just KNEW it was you when I saw the backhoe and the boys. How are the crazy cows/Yaks?

aka Skunk Hunter in the yard.
Yeah, those three things pretty much give me away. LOL We sold off all but one of the baby yaks. After my favorite tame and protective cow hung herself in the fence last year we no longer had one that would get between the boys and any of the others. So we sold most of the herd off to help finance the business and keep insurance costs down. Something about exotic animals with horns that sounds scary expensive, and for good reason.

Tim --- that was awesome. Great video and you're still a beast. If time has made you weak --- I worry about your glory days and how that makes the rest of us look like mere peasants.

Love that you're instilling a strong work ethic and important values in your kids. They'll definitely appreciate it later.

So how did it feel while delimbing? Obviously the trunk was a beastly job, but delimbing those branches (2-3 inch?) looks like a solid job on its own.

The delimbing worked very well. The beauty of the recurve it is pulls itself into the cut a little bit if you do your part hitting with the sweet spot just back of center of the belly. I also had a lot less of the twisting/glancing blows with it than the 1311 would do. I think that may be part of the blade height difference combined with the recurve as well. The difference between the BB13 and 1311 is kind of surprising and my hand doesn't hurt at all after chopping with the thicker/heavier blade. Sometimes the 1311 gives just a tad more feedback than necessary, but not nearly as much as an 1111 I tried out did. All in all, Jerry and Garth dialed the INFI BB13 in perfect! :D :thumbsup:

Great story and pics Tim!:thumbsup: I can't believe that your oldest is already that big; he was just a little tot in the stroller the last time I saw him. He looks a lot like you as well. I wish you all the best luck in starting your own business, and I know you will work to make it a success.:):thumbsup:

I just took this thing camping. It made mince meat of fire wood. I was hacking branches like crazy! great knife

Yup, the BB13 turned out exactly as hoped. I won't lie and say I haven't imagined some saw teeth on the top of one though... :p

Yeah Tom, those two are growing as fast as they possibly can. The little one only weighs 5 lbs less the the older one, so they are both stout boys. I have no idea where they get that from.:rolleyes: :D

They both earned their chance to hold the BB13 too.
2m6rfup.jpg

3509jpf.jpg

Your older son has pretty much exactly the same smile I had when I hefted one for the first time.:D:thumbsup:

Me too, I do know where they got that from! :D

Back