Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife!

Bear%20Grylls.jpg

"Peeepolz makin' me rich, buyin meez junk, o hellz neyaeh!"

It's not about self respect or pride of the brand. Its all about profit margins. Remember Mr. Grylls is taken a good chunk of $$ from this products sales as well, so bottom line its got to be extremely cheap to produce to be good for Gerber's business..

BTW, anyone ever seen Grylls actually wear and use this knife on an episode before?

Anthony

i have never seen bear use this pos knife in any of his tv shows. anyone else?

I have done all the tasks (except the firesteel) with the Mora 2000 and had no part of the knife to break. You could buy two or three Moras for the price of the BG knife. It appears that Bear just couldn't go for the middle ground. His first knives were outrageously expensive Bayley customs, but very high quality. Sales is the name of the game, and many owners may never really use them, so I guess sales volume was the goal. Make them cheaply, advertise them with Bear's endorsement and get them out there. But the Gerber Ultimate knife could have been a winner. If the same quality of construction used on the LMF II had been used, the knife may have actually sold for $80 or more, but it would have been a better knife and worthy of the Gerber brand name.

I'd pick a mora 2000 in high carbon steel over this knife all day for any survival or camping/bushcraft task and still have about $35 left over to buy better versions of the extras that come with it. I'd also pick a $14 Mora clipper and several of Gerber's own cheaper offerings (big rock camp knife or fixed blade gator) over this knife, but I think the Mora 2000 is the way to go for a super affordable survival knife. Kind of hard to fathom why gerber didn't just pick one of these knives and throw an orange handle on it or something.

I wonder if Bear will be using this knife in all of his future shows...

All of this full tang talk ... maybe we should get a BF class action lawsuit going... eat some of bear's lunch

I love the design of the Bayley blade and should have jumped on and got one before the 7 year wait! Gerber is junk. Period. Every Gerber I ever bought had issues. Even their upper end models. Bought a custom Martin Tactical BT which is shaped similar to the Bayley. Great stuff.

oh yeah, I'm still new to the whole "survival thing," can someone tell me what the hell they're talking about when they say to "lash" sticks to those holes to create a spear? How the heck do you make a spear by doing that? seems kind of trivial IMO

Call me cheezy but I like the gerber version, in spite of the fact that two years ago I purchased a Bayley Bear Grylls Custom - I think I paid $600-$700 bucks for it - Just saw one sell for $2500 on another forum, and it was the original non-serrated version. The most desireable one is the version 1, serrated, only 2 were made - and one sold for $7000 grand recently.

Knif3buy3r

At first I thought it looked like a hopeful package with a lot of elements a weekend camper might enjoy.
you and me both.

it's a real pity in a lot of ways. it could so easily have been a decent product.

Yeah, but it does have a whistle.

I'm having a vision o the not-too-distant future....: in National Parks around the world people are getting rescued by virtue of the whistle on their Bear Grylls Survival Knife, reaping Bear massive windfalls as sales of his knives and other merchandise skyrockets thanks to spin doctoring that the media forget to mention that the only reason these people needed to be rescued in the first place, was due to the failure of their 'Full Tang" Bear Grylls survival knives.

Bear Grylls buys himself a tropical island with the proceeds and is promptly bitten by an irukandji jellyfish.

Meh, Bear is more badass than me so I can't comment much on him- he has done/been to places that I haven't so I will avoid commenting on his persona.

The knife has a pretty sweet sheath, besides that its not very impressive- I would take the LMF instead.

Call me cheezy but I like the gerber version, in spite of the fact that two years ago I purchased a Bayley Bear Grylls Custom - I think I paid $600-$700 bucks for it - Just saw one sell for $2500 on another forum, and it was the original non-serrated version. The most desireable one is the version 1, serrated, only 2 were made - and one sold for $7000 grand recently.

Knif3buy3r

I tell you what, you send me the Bayley and I'll send you two complete collections of the new Gerber/Bear line.

This knife has serrations yet only carries a flat diamond stone? You lose about an inch of working steel in the field but still lump it around with you? Too much B.S, id rather stick to my Sog SealPup, after all everyone likes Puppies.

Stopped by a new Walmart in my area. Talking to one of the kids behind the knife counter (yep, but he said they were switching to clam shell packs too :(), I asked to check out the BG fixed blade. What a POS. No where near the quality of the LMF I had seen at a gun show. There is hope for new knife nuts however, as he told me, very proudly, that I would be better off going with the Buck 119.

I wonder what the Priorities of Survival are? #1 Jump into water with out checking depth. #2 Squeeze water out of nearest poop.

Chad

Back