Bench Grinders?

So I just got into the 'Knife hobby' and just ordered an Esee-5, well i went outside and found a semi-new Delta bench grinder in my garage rack. So i'm just wonder how can I use a bench grinder to sharpen my blade(s). I think my bench grinder comes with a diamond wheel (It's white and a bit corse), I know it will take off to much metal off my blade. I saw people talking about the "Edgemaking System wheel" for bench grinders, Anyone use it? Or should i just go out and buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker, or if anyone else know a good affordable (about $60) way to keep my blades sharp?

I think using a bench grinder has a very high learning curve. I've tried before and with the first pass the edge was uneven and dark blue spots on it(ruined the temper). Haven't used a grinder since. I think they're just too aggressive. But knife makers use them so I'm sure you can get the hang of it but I'd practice on some garbage knives first. As far as the sharp maker they're limited to what you can do. You're stuck with just two angles and they're quite slow all on their own

Knifemakers don't use bench grinders-at least not for making knives. The grindstones are too coarse and aggressive. Your white wheel is aluminum oxide, not diamond.
You can order a set of paper sharpening wheels to use with your grinder. They work well for sharpening.
Otherwise, don't get your knives near the grinder.

dont use the white wheel that is on the grinder like bill said. if you want to get into using the paper wheels, they work great. here is a thread i started on them that will give you plenty of information. if you want to learn more about the wheels, send me an email with your number and i'll be glad to give you a call.

dont use the white wheel that is on the grinder like bill said. if you want to get into using the paper wheels, they work great. here is a thread i started on them that will give you plenty of information. if you want to learn more about the wheels, send me an email with your number and i'll be glad to give you a call.

How do i find or view your videos? Can't seem to watch them

Knifemakers don't use bench grinders-at least not for making knives. The grindstones are too coarse and aggressive. Your white wheel is aluminum oxide, not diamond.
You can order a set of paper sharpening wheels to use with your grinder. They work well for sharpening.
Otherwise, don't get your knives near the grinder.

I've never made a knife so I wasn't sure but isn't that how hollow grinds are made?

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. Ya I had a badly chipped chef knife and didn't feel like spending a month removing them by hand so I used the grinder. I was able to make it ok by hand but still a wavy edge. Some parts don't contact the board. So ya power grinder bad idea

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. Ya I had a badly chipped chef knife and didn't feel like spending a month removing them by hand so I used the grinder. I was able to make it ok by hand but still a wavy edge. Some parts don't contact the board. So ya power grinder bad idea

Lol i was messing around with my bench grinder, Grinded off about 1 inch length .. and cut like 1/4 width off of it.. good thing it was a cheap chinese knife

Ya. They do remove metal fast. I think I used a bit of a lighter touch than you! But it wasn't good. Got rid of the chips though. Actually I just put probably the best edge I've ever done on a knife with bench stones. As I was washing it off I slipped and the edge landed on the edge of my stone. D'oh! Big dent in the edge now. Back on the stones!

I plan to get a belt sander. Problem with the worksharp is you're only given 2 angle options. If you want to make something a superb slicer it doesn't go low enough. From what I've read about it anyway. There's so many different ways to do it. I'm just not one that has the patience for free hand

I plan to get a belt sander. Problem with the worksharp is you're only given 2 angle options. If you want to make something a superb slicer it doesn't go low enough. From what I've read about it anyway. There's so many different ways to do it. I'm just not one that has the patience for free hand

You can just remove the angle gaurds and use it like a regular belt sander & freehand it. I'm just going to use it for my Esee-5 which is like a 20 on each side.. i think.

Back