Benchmade 761 Ti Monolock vs Sebenza?

I've owned many Sebenzas in the past, never owned the BM 761 but I have played with one on many occasions. That said, I would much rather take the BM anyday over the Sebenza. The Sebenza just doesn't do it for me. To each their own.

They are close enough in price you should just get the Sebenza.

I was just going to say^^^^^

I love BM, really respect everything they put out, but I don't think there is any valid comparison of a 21 and a 761 besides some common materials that are also found on many other knives in a variety of price ranges.

Hmm I guess I'll just wait a while for a sebenza to be up for sale. Thanks for your input everyone!

That's a phenomenal price for the BM 761 and access to an excellent steel, M390. It's also available on the 485 and 710 and you may want to give it a go if you have never experienced the steel. It's good; such an even steel, nice clean edge, pretty easy to sharpen with the necessary tools and tough. Worth the price of admission especially at that price.

The earlier batches of 761 were said to to have a weak detent, which was fixed in later batches.

Might be worth picking up 761 first and grab the Sebenza when you are ready. Not many other blades at $150 will likely be able to compare to a 761. While the Sebenza is tried and true, the BM brings a highly advanced design. Get both.

If you can pick up the 761 for $150.....do it!
That knife, at that price won't come along every day!
Joe

Hmm I guess I'll just wait a while for a sebenza to be up for sale. Thanks for your input everyone!

You're crazy to pass on a 761 for $150. You should at least tell the rest of us where to find that knife if you're going to pass on it. Get it. You won't be disappointed.

its not brand new. But it isn't heavily used, no scratches, factory edge, no lock stick, perfect blade centering. Used but never abused
If you don't like buying used knives than why would you get the 761 used then? The 761 was one of my many Benchmades that immediately went in for warranty work due to QC issues. Still love Benchmades but the Seb is far superior to me anyway.

You're crazy to pass on a 761 for $150. You should at least tell the rest of us where to find that knife if you're going to pass on it. Get it. You won't be disappointed.

I used some Google-Fu and found a listing at an auction site starting at $150. I have a feeling that may be the one that the OP was looking at. Unfortunately, it's an unreliable source and an auction, so the final sale price will be significantly higher with several day left to go...and $13 shipping :eek: The knife is fairly beat up looking too...and of course...auctions in the bay...not much else to say there.

If it's not, I hope he checks back in and shares where he found the deal. I'd jump on a 761 at $150. Put me down for two! :cool:

If you don't like buying used knives than why would you get the 761 used then? The 761 was one of my many Benchmades that immediately went in for warranty work due to QC issues. Still love Benchmades but the Seb is far superior to me anyway.
it's not heavily used. Like most sebenzas that are used. I can either get a barely used benchmade for $150. Or a heavily used sebenza for about 275 if I'm lucky.

I used some Google-Fu and found a listing at an auction site starting at $150. I have a feeling that may be the one that the OP was looking at. Unfortunately, it's an unreliable source and an auction, so the final sale price will be significantly higher with several day left to go...and $13 shipping :eek: The knife is fairly beat up looking too...and of course...auctions in the bay...not much else to say there.

If it's not, I hope he checks back in and shares where he found the deal. I'd jump on a 761 at $150. Put me down for two! :cool:
probably. But when the seller had a 100% positive rating, and all they sell is upscale knives, it's not really logical to assume it's a fake.

A Sebenza is what most of us compare ALL other knives to. No, that knife is NOT is the same league as a Sebenza. While it IS a great knife, it doesn't come close to a Sebenza.

Kind of reminds me of buying dvd's.
Good movies keep their price up for quite some time and the bad movies you will find in the $5 bin within a week or two.

If you can buy a used Benchmade 761 for $150 while used sebenzas still hover around the new price. Food for thought.

in my experience the 761 is absolutely in the same league as the sebenza. they are different knives, different design choices etc. but the quality, the materials, the f&f, are on par with my personal preference going to the 761. much better slicer, much better steel. dislike the clip and its position but i haven't found the perfect knife yet

Kind of reminds me of buying dvd's.
Good movies keep their price up for quite some time and the bad movies you will find in the $5 bin within a week or two.

If you can buy a used Benchmade 761 for $150 while used sebenzas still hover around the new price. Food for thought.
I feel like that's your opinion though, because there are plenty of people who think the 761 is a great knife. Someone even said it's on par with a sebenza. I think your analogy is good, but arbitrary and dependent on personal preference. I'm starting to come to the realization that I'll just wait and save for a large sebenza

I've had both and still have the 761. The Sebenza is an incredibly well made knife, but I could never get into it. The steel is too soft for my liking, although it does make it easy to resharpen. I rolled the entire edge cutting a strap off my dog's leash. Easy to repair, but I still don't like that lack of strength (resistance to rolling/denting). To my own personal tastes, the Sebenza is ugly. The opening is smooth and hydraulic, but I prefer a more responsive blade. Lock up is solid.

The 761 seemed to overcome all of those shortcomings. The blade is stronger by a good shot, the steel is better, the blade geometry is almost identical (0.018 inches at the edge shoulders). It opens much faster and easier than the Sebenza. It has some really nice design features, such as an adjustment feature for blade play. The blade locks up as solid as a rock. The sculptured Ti scales are much nicer to look at. I like the tip-down design.

My problem with the 761 is that it feels tinny. Unlike the Sebenza, which is a rock, the 761 makes a tinny sound when opening and closing.

Then I got an Olamic flipper. The appearance is nicer than either the Sebenza or 761. The detailing is better. It opens faster and easier and sounds and feels solid. I like the steel (Elmax), too.

The bottom line on all these comparisons is personal taste. We're all different and we all like different features and characteristics.

Be very careful on the 761 from an unauthorized seller. Not that it is fake, but they are out there in large enough numbers, specifically on eBay, to be concerned. It may be legit and it may be a great deal, but seeing the clones for this knife in the same spot, I'd be very cautious on paying more than clone prices

No way you're finding a brand new 761 for $150......no way! If you do, do not buy it.
I have a 761, never had a Sebbie, and I have nothing to complain about. Excellent steel, very comfortable in hand. It flicks open like a pistol and locks up silly tight with no play at all. Extremely thin behind the edge and slices like a pissed off demon.
This knife is smoother than anything I've felt.
Joe
ab87251fae516d5098d0dd32f8cb4e4c.jpg

b968cd3d54ba54777c895496deab73cd.jpg

There's no faster way to make me skip a knife then making it tip down carry only.....

b2f121dccdb3e2fe4cbeeab4c1626907.jpg

I have them both and I like them both a lot. Both are top shelf knives. Both have excellent warranties.

The BM ball bearing washers are MUCH faster than the CRK phosphor bronze washers. It opens and closes almost too easily.

The BM feels slimmer in the hand. I just hate the pocket clip and took it off.

If I could only have one I would save up for the CRK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back