Best choice for a hard use all purpose survival knife?

I'm looking for a hard used Survival knife (with a capital S). I'm intrigued by the Sarge7. It's flat grind looks great for splitting and slicing but the handle looks problematic. It doesn't seem ergonomic enough to prevent sliding forward on an agressive thrust attack. On the other hand the TGLB looks good too but I don't want to be dealing with sending the knife back for refinishing because the coating wears off. Also the grind doesn't look the greatest for splitting wood.

Any thoughts on which would make a better survival knife would be appreciated. (they both are a little larger than the 6.5" that I would consider ideal)

PS. Another option is an older model Busse on the secondary market. The only (but large) problem is the $460 price tag on a new 7" sage coated SFNO that I've had an eye on.

Last edited:
I'm pleased with my SARGE 7 as a woods knife.

Have the BWM LE for excessively large use... SARGE 7 for all around... SAR 3 piggybacked onto it

Go for a TGLB... best value you'll find in INFI...

or you can pick up a Swamp rat... they have some out that are priced nice

Go for a TGLB... best value you'll find in INFI...

or you can pick up a Swamp rat... they have some out that are priced nice

Just cancelled a Swamp Rat order after "discovering" Infi. (which appears to be the closest thing to what I'm after in a steel that I can find)

I'm torn about the TGLB finishes. I really like the look of a competition cut finish in the TGLB but I might be asking for trouble in terms of corrosion.

The coating on both my team gemini's has held up well with lots of splitting wood for kindling and chopping. I have a competition finished hell razor that has been wet and bloody from game many times and never had any rust at all so I wouldn't worry too much about that either. Pick what you like the best and beat it like you stole it.

Not really no, the slightly lighter tg works just as well as the original. The only thing they suck at is getting peanut butter out of a jar for a sandwich while camping.

COMBAT GRADE NMSFNO, and don't worry about the coating wearing off. Or save a ton of money and order a Rodent 6 or 711 and don't look back.

My favorite is the Scrapper 5. I personally find 7" a bit larger than I like. However, if I wanted a 7" blade, I would get the 711 and not look back.

Doc

The main thing I found lacking on the 711 is the fact the butt of the knife is covered. I like an exposed tang on the butt of the handle for hammering stuff.

Last edited:
Not really no, the slightly lighter tg works just as well as the original. The only thing they suck at is getting peanut butter out of a jar for a sandwich while camping.

That's problematic. I'm a big fan of PB. The knife design is obviously flawed... you should send it to me for proper disposal.

The FFBM is my choice for PB samiches... although the edge isn't ideal for cutting off crust.

OH... but back to the OP... NMSFNO is king. It rocks!

IMG_0200-1.jpg

if the NMSFNO was still in production i'd buy one. I don't buy on the secondary market much

Only serious difference between swamp rat's and scrap yard's sr-101 and Busse's infi seems to be corrosion.... functionally similar in terms of toughness, prying, edge retention, etc.... so, you could probably save money by getting a sykco711 or rodent6 and a cleaning / corrosion protection kit for a few $ extra.

In regards to team gemini LB and chopping, Jerry stated in another thread "The next cool feature is the HUGE diameter shallow hollow grind (42" diameter that's bigger than a hula hoop!!!!!) used on the primary bevel. This ensures a much lighter blade while allowing for a wicked sharp edge. This large diameter also greatly decreases the tendency that smaller diameter hollow grinds have of binding in wood when chopping." http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/845708-The-Science-Behind-The-quot-Light-Brigade-quot-Series-(Cool-Pics)

The sticky thread "Proof Of Busse (and Kin) Superiority" has some pretty good evidence behind swamp rat and scrap yard for surviving extreme use. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/772715-Proof-Of-Busse-(and-Kin)-Superiority

Back