1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best choice for a hard use all purpose survival knife?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by taiChiFighter, Jun 15, 2012.

1. taiChiFighter

taiChiFighter

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm looking for a hard used Survival knife (with a capital S). I'm intrigued by the Sarge7. It's flat grind looks great for splitting and slicing but the handle looks problematic. It doesn't seem ergonomic enough to prevent sliding forward on an agressive thrust attack. On the other hand the TGLB looks good too but I don't want to be dealing with sending the knife back for refinishing because the coating wears off. Also the grind doesn't look the greatest for splitting wood.

Any thoughts on which would make a better survival knife would be appreciated. (they both are a little larger than the 6.5" that I would consider ideal)

PS. Another option is an older model Busse on the secondary market. The only (but large) problem is the $460 price tag on a new 7" sage coated SFNO that I've had an eye on.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. Bullitt196

Bullitt196

Sep 27, 2006
    I'm pleased with my SARGE 7 as a woods knife.

Have the BWM LE for excessively large use... SARGE 7 for all around... SAR 3 piggybacked onto it

3. VoxHog

VoxHog Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2007
    SFNO would be my pick for a survival knife with a capital S.

4. taiChiFighter

taiChiFighter

Aug 20, 2011
    Darn, I just can't justify paying almost $200 more than it listed for. (I'm already 3 times over budget after discovering Busse and Infi);)

5. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    Go for a TGLB... best value you'll find in INFI...

or you can pick up a Swamp rat... they have some out that are priced nice

6. taiChiFighter

taiChiFighter

Aug 20, 2011
    Just cancelled a Swamp Rat order after "discovering" Infi. (which appears to be the closest thing to what I'm after in a steel that I can find)

7. taiChiFighter

taiChiFighter

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm torn about the TGLB finishes. I really like the look of a competition cut finish in the TGLB but I might be asking for trouble in terms of corrosion.

8. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    seriously, stop worrying about corrosion. it's NOT an issue.

9. taiChiFighter

taiChiFighter

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm hoping that's the case because I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a nude TGLB.

10. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    i have one coming Black/Blue g10 with black coating... it's a great choice

11. cricketdave

cricketdave Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2008
    The coating on both my team gemini's has held up well with lots of splitting wood for kindling and chopping. I have a competition finished hell razor that has been wet and bloody from game many times and never had any rust at all so I wouldn't worry too much about that either. Pick what you like the best and beat it like you stole it.

12. taiChiFighter

taiChiFighter

Aug 20, 2011
    Are there any downsides to the "lightened" TGLB version of the TG?

13. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    only if you are a collector of heavy knives...

14. cricketdave

cricketdave Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Not really no, the slightly lighter tg works just as well as the original. The only thing they suck at is getting peanut butter out of a jar for a sandwich while camping.

15. Hooker

Hooker Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2009
    COMBAT GRADE NMSFNO, and don't worry about the coating wearing off. Or save a ton of money and order a Rodent 6 or 711 and don't look back.

16. DocGP

DocGP

Feb 22, 2009
    My favorite is the Scrapper 5. I personally find 7" a bit larger than I like. However, if I wanted a 7" blade, I would get the 711 and not look back.

Doc

17. taiChiFighter

taiChiFighter

Aug 20, 2011
    The main thing I found lacking on the 711 is the fact the butt of the knife is covered. I like an exposed tang on the butt of the handle for hammering stuff.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  18. kdstrick

kdstrick Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2007
    That's problematic. I'm a big fan of PB. The knife design is obviously flawed... you should send it to me for proper disposal.

The FFBM is my choice for PB samiches... although the edge isn't ideal for cutting off crust.

OH... but back to the OP... NMSFNO is king. It rocks!

[​IMG]

19. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    if the NMSFNO was still in production i'd buy one. I don't buy on the secondary market much

20. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Only serious difference between swamp rat's and scrap yard's sr-101 and Busse's infi seems to be corrosion.... functionally similar in terms of toughness, prying, edge retention, etc.... so, you could probably save money by getting a sykco711 or rodent6 and a cleaning / corrosion protection kit for a few $ extra.

In regards to team gemini LB and chopping, Jerry stated in another thread "The next cool feature is the HUGE diameter shallow hollow grind (42" diameter that's bigger than a hula hoop!!!!!) used on the primary bevel. This ensures a much lighter blade while allowing for a wicked sharp edge. This large diameter also greatly decreases the tendency that smaller diameter hollow grinds have of binding in wood when chopping." http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/845708-The-Science-Behind-The-quot-Light-Brigade-quot-Series-(Cool-Pics)

The sticky thread "Proof Of Busse (and Kin) Superiority" has some pretty good evidence behind swamp rat and scrap yard for surviving extreme use. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/772715-Proof-Of-Busse-(and-Kin)-Superiority