Best folding fishing knife.

I figured you fishing guys would be the best to ask. I looovvve fishing, and i love a good knife to clean fish with, and so far, all of these are fixed blade. I'm looking for a folding knife, that has a clip, that i can gut fish, fillett small fish if i don't have a fillett knife, whittle a hot dog stick, cut line, cut rope, food chores around the campsite. And really anything i could use it for on a fishing/ camping trip on the shores of the meremac. I don't like having to use 2-3 different knives to do all the small things around the campsite. Which knives do you guys reccomend? And i have to be able to dunk it in the river and crudely wash it off, and not dry it properly, so nothing that will rust, and no handle materials that will be ruined by water, and it'd be nice if it was somewhat cheap, thanks for any recomendations.

Well I was thinking an Opinel in Inox/12C27. They come in a good variety of bright colours, versatile and cheap enough so that if they take a swim, you won't be too upset. That said the handles can swell up a bit in water.

My last fishing trip I carried an EKA 92. It performs very well as a food prep knife, despite it being a bit thick. When nice and sharp it cleaned and filleted a good catch of salt water fish, and it easily makes a good camp folder.

Again Sandvik 12C27 stainless, and strips down easily, using a coin to dismantle the grippy 'rubber' scales. I have chucked this away set and come back to it days later no problems.

There are some other EKA knives I'd recommend as a fishing folder, the EKA 10 for example. They have a designated folding filet knife, but it may be a tad thin for other duties. Also, not a folder per sway, but they do have a unique Swingblade Fish Knife.

Might also be worth checking out something from the Spyderco Salt range?

Any Case folding toothpick (aside from the tiny toothpicks) will make fine fish processing knives.

a Case Barehead Trapper 4 1/4" will do quite nicely, and it will develop a nice patina. Other than that the opinels will be nice too.

I'd look for an older "fishing knive" like the one Case still makes.
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CA120/Case-Yellow-Handle-Fishing-Knife-4-14-inch-Closed-320094F-SS
I mean, just about any knife can cut a rope or peel a potatoe, so why not carry something that's made for the job at hand as well as something you'll be proud to say you own?

Just my opinion, but I'm ALWAYS right so there ya go. :D

+1. The older versions are a little longer.

P1040133.jpg

I dont know what your definition of cheap, but i recommend the Griptilian H20 with X15-TN steel.

Ive used mine many times on saltwater fishing trips and it has served me well. Mine is the combo-edge version where i found, that the serrations come in very handy when cutting slippery fins and heads off. The knife gets rinsed in saltwater afterwards, and it has not gotten a single speck of rust on it.

It also get used for prepping my lunch, cutting fishing line, clearing vegetation that interfere with my cast, whittling sticks, fire preparation, etc.

The hi-vis orange scales have alot of jimping and diamond-style checkering, which provide a great grip when your hands are wet. The The X15-TN steel takes a really sharp edge and holds it for a relatively long time. The Griptilian can also filet fish in a pinch, although there are thinner and longer blades on the market, that are much better suited for the task.

But as an allround, extremely rust-resistant knife, the Griptilian H20 is king.

7295659510_29f29f0f02_z.jpg

Turning a Seaneedle into bait

I usually have a Leatherman Charge with me. One handed opening is a nice feature to have when there is a rod occupying the other hand . They are not cheap though. Something with a clip and easy deployment . Kershaw makes a lot of them. One should fit your budget.

2nd the case toothpicks. It doesn't have a pocket clip but It's small so I suggest you just leave it in your tacklebox or in the bottom of your pocket along with a regular locker.

All of my dedicated fishing knives are fixed blade but I did end up a using a folding BuckLite recently (the longest model-- maybe 3 3/4" blade) and it worked fine: ie... easy to hang onto, fairly thin blade, very fine point. Not bad for $22.

I have been filleting 2 to 4lb trout with my spyderco millie, nice sharp tip and flat grind.......does a pretty good job and a versatile kitchen knife in a pinch too. In orange so I can find it on the rocks.

A cheaper but close second would be a nonserratted rat-1, another good slicey folder with backbone.

Back