Best Survival Knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The knife you have on you is the best.

Never carry Junk.

Only could pick 1 knife for end times , Busse Combat or CPK

This is a really old post but I feel like chiming in and putting my 2 cents worth out there. IF I was looking for that One Tool Option as people call it, then it would have to meet some criteria which are as follows..

1) Full Tang for Strength.
2) Five to Seven Inches. So it can do the small task ok but be able to perform some big task too.
3) 90 degree spine.Some say you don't need it, but it really helps for various task.
4) Tough Steel that holds a good edge but isn't impossible to sharpen in the field. Carbon or Tool Steel is a good option but a lot of folks love their CPM 3V too. Only issue is 3V can be hard to sharpen IF you let it get dull. If you keep your knives up then this isn't a problem.
5) Something you can fight with safely without a slippery handle. Prehaps something with a half guard on the bottom of the knife but without one on the top so you can choke up without a lot of discomfort. Micarta handles with a half-guard.
6) Knife would need a soild sheath because if its hard to carry or it fails to secure the blade and you lose it you're kinda boned.

I may have left a few things out but personally for me this is what I like in a knife/sheath and look for. Here are a few ideas but not all of them meet my criteria but are solid..

1) Esse 5 or 6 ( I like both personally for different reasons. Solid sheaths and micarta handles oh my! )
2) LT Wright Sospes ( O1 tool steel, scandi grind, and a 90 degree spine that is just ruthless to a fero rod. Great slicer and surprisingly a good chopper too! All around good design! )
3) Survive GSO 5.1 ( This knife is just bada$$ but incredibly hard to obtain. About a year wait give or take. )
4) Cold Steel SRK in Carbon V ( find them on Ebay) or CPM 3V. The Carbon V is my favorite cause it's made in America and Id rather support the US Economy and Job Market.
5) SOG Pillar (USA Made in CPM S35VN)
6) Gerber Strongarm ( If money is REALLY tight and you need something bomb proof that can do a lot of things for about 50 Bucks. The sheath is great and it feels good in the hand. Ive beaten the piss out of mine without any issues at all. I bought one for a beater knife and it's earned my respect over time. Gerber gets a bad rep for the Bear Grylls stuff but some of their american made knives are true gems. )
7) Dark Timber Honey Badger ( If money isn't an option and you're lucky enough to get one. Just an awesome, awesome blade made by a cool dude. )
8) KA-BAR USMC ( Just don't try to baton a tree with it and the tang should be fine.This knife is a true legend and also PROVEN in the field in many wars as a Combat/Utility tool. )
9) Becker BK-7 ( Solid Knife with a great design. The sheath sucks though.. )
10) Becker BK-2 ( Another solid bombproof Becker. I swear Ethan is a legend lol! )

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. There are many, many knives out there like BUSSES and Bark Rivers or something made by some of the cool craftsmen on Blade Forums that would serve you just as well if not better. The quest to find that perfect knife is something a lot of people on here have gone through and we all look for something different. Have fun finding your grail knife!

Last edited:
This is a really old post but I feel like chiming in and putting my 2 cents worth out there. IF I was looking for that One Tool Option as people call it, then it would have to meet some criteria which are as follows..

1) Full Tang for Strength.
2) Five to Seven Inches. So it can do the small task ok but be able to perform some big task too.
3) 90 degree spine.Some say you don't need it, but it really helps for various task.
4) Tough Steel that holds a good edge but isn't impossible to sharpen in the field. Carbon or Tool Steel is a good option but a lot of folks love their CPM 3V too. Only issue is 3V can be hard to sharpen IF you let it get dull. If you keep your knives up then this isn't a problem.
5) Something you can fight with safely without a slippery handle. Prehaps something with a half guard on the bottom of the knife but without one on the top so you can choke up without a lot of discomfort. Micarta handles with a half-guard.
6) Knife would need a soild sheath because if its hard to carry or it fails to secure the blade and you lose it you're kinda boned.

I may have left a few things out but personally for me this is what I like in a knife/sheath and look for. Here are a few ideas but not all of them meet my criteria but are solid..

1) Esse 5 or 6 ( I like both personally for different reasons. Solid sheaths and micarta handles oh my! )
2) LT Wright Sospes ( O1 tool steel, scandi grind, and a 90 degree spine that is just ruthless to a fero rod. Great slicer and surprisingly a good chopper too! All around good design! )
3) Survive GSO 5.1 ( This knife is just bada$$ but incredibly hard to obtain. About a year wait give or take. )
4) Cold Steel SRK in Carbon V ( find them on Ebay) or CPM 3V. The Carbon V is my favorite cause it's made in America and Id rather support the US Economy and Job Market.
5) SOG Pillar (USA Made in CPM S35VN)
6) Gerber Strongarm ( If money is REALLY tight and you need something bomb proof that can do a lot of things for about 50 Bucks. The sheath is great and it feels good in the hand. Ive beaten the piss out of mine without any issues at all. I bought one for a beater knife and it's earned my respect over time. Gerber gets a bad rep for the Bear Grylls stuff but some of their american made knives are true gems. )
7) Dark Timber Honey Badger ( If money isn't an option and you're lucky enough to get one. Just an awesome, awesome blade made by a cool dude. )
8) KA-BAR USMC ( Just don't try to baton a tree with it and the tang should be fine.This knife is a true legend and also PROVEN in the field in many wars as a Combat/Utility tool. )
9) Becker BK-7 ( Solid Knife with a great design. The sheath sucks though.. )
10) Becker BK-2 ( Another solid bombproof Becker. I swear Ethan is a legend lol! )

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. There are many, many knives out there like BUSSES and Bark Rivers or something made by some of the cool craftsmen on Blade Forums that would serve you just as well if not better. The quest to find that perfect knife is something a lot of people on here have gone through and we all look for something different. Have fun finding your grail knife!

Given that the OP was made more than 5 years ago, perhaps he may no longer be checking this thread....

Given that the OP was made more than 5 years ago, perhaps he may no longer be checking this thread....
Yeah that's true, but a lot of people google this very thing and get led to this post. Curiously I did the same thing to see what other people thought and I was brought here. If anything, someone new to the forums that has the same question will see my post and get some answers.

Yeah that's true, but a lot of people google this very thing and get led to this post. Curiously I did the same thing to see what other people thought and I was brought here. If anything, someone new to the forums that has the same question will see my post and get some answers.

"THREAD NECROMANCY IS HIGHLY DISCOURAGED. Do not bump threads that are older than 120 days. "

In the rules.

Even more so when the post that necroed the thread was this...

And even more so, it seems, when we have a similar thread active right now. :thumbsup:

"THREAD NECROMANCY IS HIGHLY DISCOURAGED. Do not bump threads that are older than 120 days. "

In the rules.

Even more so when the post that necroed the thread was this...

And even more so, it seems, when we have a similar thread active right now. :thumbsup:
Have a link to the new one sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back