BK-16 vs. BK-17 vs. BK-2

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
Howdy.
The BK-2 has always seemed to me to be a bit too much of a good thing. More knife than I need, especially weighing in at a pound. I'd heard about the BK-16. Now I see the BK-17. They are apparently about 1/2 the weight. Sounds about the right size and weight for me. (Lads and lasses, I live and camp in the southwest. Therefore, I do not baton. The issue hereabouts is never about finding dry wood. It is finding any wood at all and figuring out whether it is legal to have an open fire where you camp.)

1) Who has a 16 or a 17? Which did you choose? And Why?
Is there stuff you don't or can't do with one?

2) Has anyone got both a 2 and a 16 or 17 and would you care to compare them?

Thanks,
Frank R.

I own all 3. In your situation, the 16 would probably work the best. It is a phenomenal all around knife. From preparing and eating dinner to whittling by the fire. If you don't find your self in the land of hardwoods or any wood at all, the 2 is too much knife, in my opinion. I live in Oklahoma and we have hardwood and more hardwood, I find myself using the 2 for big tasks and the 16 as my everything else knife. The 17 is awesome as well, but if your doing any fine work with blade, the false swedge might tire out your fingers unless they are used to the abuse. Hope that helps.

The 2 would feel better to somebody with large hands but I agree that it wouldn't suit your needs.

I have medium sized hands so the 16 and 17 really fit my hands well. Between those, there probably isn't a huge difference . I like the drop point and full flat grind of the 16 so I would go for that.

I'd go BK-16.

BK17. It is the supreme Belt-Knife, IMO

I simply cannot express enough how much I love this blade, and it is a heck of a performer. I have carried it just about everywhere I have went since I got it.

I own the 2, a couple of them actually..and I love them, but I agree they can be ''over-kill'' especially in your environment. I have the 16, and it's a great knife..but I prefer a ''pointy'' point on my knives. The FFG 16 will SLIGHTLY out slice the 17 in some materials, but not by much. The 17 has a great balance..it is the best feeling of the three Tweeners, in my hands at least.

The choice is really up to you, and whatever style you like better aesthetically. In reality, the 17 and 16 will both serve you very well, I just love the feel and looks of the clipped, sabre-grind 17.

100_3445.jpg

100_3390.jpg

I chose the 16. I have a preference for drop points, particularly as a camp/edc knife. The 16 is also fully flat-ground, which I find better for woodcraft as well as food prep. The big advantage I see of a clip point is that it's tip is narrower, enabling finer work at the point.

In interviews about the tweeners, Ethan commented that some people prefer drop points, others prefer clip points, so why not make both?

Thanks, fellas. Those are good comments, all. Food for thought.

Brown Truck Santa just dropped off my new BK16 today and WOW what an awesome little knife! The hype was all true!

I had a strong hunch I'd like it enough to wonder what the BK17 is like (Thrillbilly's photos knocked me over the edge), so I ordered it also, and it should be here tomorrow.

Ethan, you truly have a gift. I don't know any other way that such a "simple" knife could end up so perfect at so many levels. I've got large hands, and wouldn't mind if the BK16 was say 5% larger overall, but I'll GLADLY enjoy my new knife(s) with complete happiness. Thank you by the way, for designing a handle that hangs out both sides of my fist. There are several other nice designs on the market that seem to fall short in this area. You pulled it off, but w/o making the overall knife any larger than the competition.

I'll have to wait until I compare the BK16 and 17 together, but one of them is going to become my EDC best friend. Right now I'm thinking maybe the BK17 for EDC and the BK16 for mountain/woods carry. But I'm guessing there's no wrong answer with this pair. If I wasn't taking a break from an emergency plumbing repair (ahhhh home ownership), I'd be outside looking for things to cut and slice.

I like it! Just what I need, another knife design to lust after...........(grin)

I've honestly lost count how many knives I've got (lots of styles and mfgs) , and many of them were purchased as a result of threads on this forum. Darned internet ends up costing a lot more than the monthly service charge!

I've honestly lost count how many knives I've got (lots of styles and mfgs) , and many of them were purchased as a result of threads on this forum. Darned internet ends up costing a lot more than the monthly service charge!

Definitely bad for the bank account...:D

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, but I seem to be in the same predicament as the OP. I've been building a BOB/backpacking pack and I'm not really sure on what too get. Originally my knife list was like 8 items long and eventually I started dropping things off the list like Esee, Mora etc. Only my thing is I'm pretty much surrounded by hardwood trees, lots of oaks, birches, maples around where I live and I really want a knife that's versatile and tough yet not too much knife for me. I've got small to medium-ish hands and some knives i have difficulty handling for that reason. I'm down to the Bk-2 or Bk-16 I understand each has drawbacks and strengths of their own like the coat on the Bk-16 and sometimes factory edge is dull the Bk-2 has issues with the sheath dulling the blade. This is gonna be my go to knife for when I'm out in the bush so I'll use it for everything pretty much batoning, bush craft, etc. I'd like to hear from anyone willing to give input. Thanks for reading.

-Alex

Trying to compare the BK2 with the BK16 isn't a fair comparison, as their strengths and weaknesses are of a much larger scale than simply finish or sharpening differences. If only looking at photos, they do share some similarities in appearance, but that's about it-----------along with the materials, designer, and manufacturer.

IMO if you're trying to narrow your selection to a single knife, then you have to decide whether you place a premium on a knife that will excel at tasks involving small detail and slicing, or if you need a knife that can survive your worst treatment while processing wood. Ideally you'd have both knives, or a some combination of small knife and hatchet, or large knife (BK9) and cheap Mora. IF you're determined either by principle or finances to have only a single BK&T knife, then I think the BK7 might be a good compromise. It's longer but lighter than the BK2, can can chop, split, slice and if choked up on, do the work of a smaller knife. It's also MUCH beefier than a BK16, but actually costs less----------if you're looking for the best value in a dollars per pound sense.

I don't think there are any truly wrong answers, since it boils down to what YOU want. The BK2 is an awesome knife, and will blow your mind the first time you hold it. But the BK7 or BK9 hold a little more practicality IMO. The BK16 is much smaller, and fills a completely different gap, but if you're not planning to split huge chunks of wood on a regular basis, and want to focus more on general bushcrafting skills beyond batoning, then the BK16 is much handier in that general purpose role, and weighs very little.

I kinda ramble in a loop, but I hope this helps a little.

It's easy to get wrapped up in the BK-2's weight and thickness at the spine and only think of it as a chopper/splitter/bruiser. Which it does excel at, make no mistake. I've done some tests and it really is a lot better then a lot of other tools at that kind of heavy work.

But with all that, you don't want to lose sight of the fact that it works perfectly fine as a knife, too. You could go with a Tweener and a bigger chopper, and that'd work, but you could also go with a BK-2 and something real small like a slipjoint or even nothing else at all. Cutting feathersticks, cutting food, packages, bedding, cordage... all of that is great with a BK-2.

If I had to head out for an overnighter here in AZ and had to pick between my BK-2 and my BK-16, I'd choose the 2 every time.

I have the 2(2 of them, actually) and the 16 - but not the 17. Only difference is really that the 17 is a clip point without a FFG... so get what you prefer there.

I'm over in Phoenix, so I understand your issue with camping. With that said... I would still prefer to take the 2 with me. Sure, it's a little more weight... but it's good weight. That 2 is a comforting blade to have around. I keep the 16 strapped onto my 5.11 MOAB 10 as my EDC fixed blade.

I still do plenty of batoning when I go out though. I don't really do any desert camping though and prefer to go up where there are plenty of trees... Prescott, Payson, Flagstaff....

The 2 makes a great first knife and will really get you hooked. A similar option may even be the BK7. It's a little longer than the 2, but not as thick and heavy. A great all around blade, as is the BK12 (Doug Ritter/Becker collaboration known as the Ritter RSK MK2 Perseverance). It's a little more expensive and sold exclusively through KnifeWorks. It's made by Rowen(same guys that make ESEE knives) instead of KABAR. I love mine.

Have I confused you enough yet? Good. Now you just have to buy all of them so you can make a last minute decision which to take with every time. :D

Hey BRL,

We should plan an Arizona BH trip. I'm still fairly new to Arizona camping, so I'd like to know some good spots. The couple of guys I always go out with aren't into real camping.. they're idea of camping is 'drive our truck out to a campsite... set up a huge tent... gas stoves...etc... and sit around drinking beer'

I wanna do a little hike out to the woods and set up our own site.

BRL, Uncle Malice - I'm up for some AZ camping as well. Not sure I know of many 'good spots' as I mostly camp w/ the scouts.

It's funny, the BK-2 was one of my first beckers and I rarely bring it along. For a one-knife trip, it would be great. But I EDC the 14 and 16. And if I'm expecting some heavier woodwork, the 9 goes in my pack. Then there's the condor golok, and an axe, and ... Next thing I know, I'm hauling 20 pounds of steel and everyone's compass points to me.

I have the 16 - because I prefer drop points to clip points.
you might also consider a BK10 -- very similar size as the 2, only 3/16" stock instead of 1/4".

Thank you all for the sound advice there's a lot to consider, but it all helps. Though with my own absent mindedness I completely forgot to say that I live mostly in a somewhat wooded suburban area close to center city Philadelphia, which is why I was asking about the most versatile of the two though it would of helped if I had specified my current location. :p

Back