BK10 vs BK2

hey beckerheads
i had my bday on the 2nd and have a bit of cash to spend and i have budgeted to try to buy one becker knife
i want to try a becker and i cant decide between the bk2,bk10,and the bk16
im going to be using it as woodcraft knife(making fires,cutting down stuff) and would like to eventually strip it and put a convex on it(maybe not in that order)
it would be used in a two(or three) knife system here is my current system: a SWKW RMD, SWKW rodent solution and maybe a folder
what would a becker bring to the table to my current system?
but what would yall recommend
Thanks,
Thomas

well... all three of those Beckers are in similar size categories as the rodents.

I'd pick the BK10, hands-down. it's got the beef up on the 16, but isn't as overly brutish as the 2. Juuuust right.

Honestly I think the 16 is more useful as part of a system. The 2 or the 10 are more one-knife options for dayhikes and such. Honestly I don't think there is much that the 10 can do that the 16 can't. Even the 2 isn't much more capable I don't think. It is a lot more durable though so that is piece of mind if I were to find myself lost in the woods with it.

I have all three, and they are all awesome. You can't go wrong with a Becker.

Personally, I'm all about the 9. You can't not have a 9.

I have to agree that the 10 and 2 are more 1 knife options, although opinions will vary. I think the 10 is more versatile than the 2, and the 16 is a great companion for a larger knife.....like a BK9. Truth is that you will end up with all of them anyway, so just decide which one you want first.

I have an RMD and a RS. I also have a BK 2 and 16. And 11,14,7,9,15...good lord, I almost have too many Beckers. Almost. You have the RMD, so that covers the BK2/10 size range, and as much as I love my Beckers there isn't much the 2 or 10 can do that the RMD can't. What you don't have in your description is something a little bigger than the rodent solution and a little smaller than the ratmandu. That's the 16. Absolutely one of my seven favorite Beckers.

Of course you also really need a 9.

I think I may be one of the few people who were not super impressed by the 16. I had a 16 and a 17, both were very comfortable in hand, but both had fitment issues with the scales. The 16 is surprisingly light compared to the 17 (the 17 has a Sabre grind= more metal), but I just couldn't find a permanent place for a tweener. Any fine cutting tasks went to my Mora, anything larger went to my BK9.

Thomas!!

Whats up man!! Good to see you on this side :)

If im correct..... Thomas does not really want or care for the larger / longer... blades above 6"... So the BK9 is larger than he would prefer.

Out of the ones you listed Id personally grab the 16.... but here are some pics to help you out. I have the 17 as well. They are great knives, and the prices cant be beat. Thomas if you have any questions on performance or sizes feel free to hit me up. I have had every normal production becker now except the BK15 BK4 and BK10. I have had at least one of every knife offered by the swamp at this time, except the Rodent 9, rattlehawk, and swords.

You cant go wrong with the tweeners and Im a drop point fan so id suggest the 16 out of those listed. The BK2 is a tank, and since you dont have a need for the larger knives the BK2 could fill the roll of some of the larger knives, but you will most likely revert to the RMD when you need a blade this size, just being honest.

dsc00755d.jpg

dsc00751li.jpg

tax1.jpg

ds88.jpg

PhotoGrid_1378823477773_zpsdda23d22.jpg

r9p4.jpg

xqc9.jpg

Last edited:
thanks WW and all the other responses
and yes WW you are correct in the fact that i dont have a need for a larger knfe (6+in)
what i was kinda thinking about the BK2 is that i could fill a role of a larger knife but in a smaller package if you know what i mean
but i think i may go with the BK16
Thanks again for the responses
Thomas

haha your funny
but i just dont have a use for a larger knife. that said if i was going to get a chopper the BK9 would be my first one

The 10 is a 10.

Prolly the most useful knife for a 1 knife solution IMO. The 7 is the most versitile of the group, but the 10 is a much more useful belt tool.

It doesn't carry the confidence that the 2 offers, but as long as you don't "moose" it up, the 10 is almost perfect.

Moose

I have to agree with Moose..the 10 is probably the most useful all around blade in the line up but I must say the BK2 is pretty close behind...there isn't much that can't be done with either blade...so for a one knife option either is good but I would suggest the bk2 and maybe a folder or mora to compliment it and your pretty much set....or buy a 9 and scare the bejesus out of what ever it is your doing...

maybe a folder or mora to compliment it and your pretty much set.

I really love my mora companion and I probably use it the most outdoors with the BK9 being a close second. My bk9, Mora, and my leatherman sidekick are really all I need for almost everything. A machete, axe, and large bow saw come in handy often enough to have them around but I can defiantly get by quite nicely with those three.

Whatever you get, Snakeman, toss a Mora in your shopping cart too. Quite an awesome knife for $15.

I really love my mora companion and I probably use it the most outdoors with the BK9 being a close second. My bk9, Mora, and my leatherman sidekick are really all I need for almost everything. A machete, axe, and large bow saw come in handy often enough to have them around but I can defiantly get by quite nicely with those three.

Whatever you get, Snakeman, toss a Mora in your shopping cart too. Quite an awesome knife for $15.

Hey Bigghoss....seems like we use the same setup...I was using a mora 511 for ages but recently bought a mora bushcraft and a robust which I plan on swapping into the mix along with my leatherman sidekick (great little tool). I have a folding saw (bahco) which I have been thinking about swapping out with a trailblazer 18" takedown bow saw. As for the blades. I love the bk10 and the 2 but gotta admit when I go out I find myself reaching for the 9 every time....with the mora and the leatherman alongside I'm pretty much gold. if it's going to be a new area or an extended stay I take a fiskar's axe as well...thank god for my dog as he can garry some of the weight for me.

Hey Bigghoss....seems like we use the same setup...I was using a mora 511 for ages but recently bought a mora bushcraft and a robust which I plan on swapping into the mix along with my leatherman sidekick (great little tool). I have a folding saw (bahco) which I have been thinking about swapping out with a trailblazer 18" takedown bow saw. As for the blades. I love the bk10 and the 2 but gotta admit when I go out I find myself reaching for the 9 every time....with the mora and the leatherman alongside I'm pretty much gold. if it's going to be a new area or an extended stay I take a fiskar's axe as well...thank god for my dog as he can garry some of the weight for me.

I have a companion HG also which I think is the same thickness as the robust. I actually prefer the thinner models because they slice and carve better I think. They're all amazing for the price.

ya i already have a mora that i got earlier this week
do you think the BK2 acts like a much bigger knife due to its weight and thickness in terms of chopping and stuff like that?
i would like to revise my earlier setup because i forgot about my candiru
my current setup:
RMD
Rodent solution
esee Candiru

I know you say you don't want a longer blade, however I'm going to suggest a BK-5. It works as a bushcraft blade quite well, it also can do quite well with chopping and stuff. On top of all of that, it is AMAZING as a camp/kitchen knife. It's truly an amazing, versatile blade collaborated on by two of the BEST knife guys in the business, Ethan and Jerry Fisk.

In your scenario? BK-16. And I say this even though my favorite is the BK-2. The 16 fits your niche.

Back