1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

"Black Box" Winchesters

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by mckgreg, Jun 12, 2008.

1. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    I have developed a bit of an interest in the 1980's Winchesters that were marketed by Blue Grass Cutlery. While I was out at Parker's knife show in Sevierville, TN today, I ran across a few. This run has the old stock Utica bone scales and some patterns I haven't been able to find anywhere else. This pattern is probably my favorite. I couldn't get over how well made they are. I'm not sure which factory did the construction on them but they did a darn good job. These ain't the China made stuff you hear about.
    Greg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Nice one, Greg. :thumbup::thumbup: (One of my favorite patterns.)

I have a couple of Winchester's from Blue Grass that I enjoy a lot myself. One is the double-end swell-center (balloon) with spear and clip blades. The other a smaller equal end with the same setup and blade configuration.

A couple of others I had made their way to a couple of forum buddies just because. :cool:

3. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    I think know the one you're talking about Blues. Like a slim, swell center Moose pattern? I'll probably go back and get one tomorrow. Here's the Coffin Jack. I should get better photos of the tang stamps to show how they are dated with the year of issue. The bone appears to be almost black but they are a very dark brown.
    Greg

[​IMG]

4. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Greg, there was a slim one like that. I sent that one to Gus. The one I still have is beefy and about 3 7/8". It's a stout knife. The 3.5" or 3 5/8" equal-end is also pretty stout. (The latter knife received the Krein treatment and is a screamer now.)

There's stock images of the knives in my foto albums (link is below) but didn't want to hijack this thread.

5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I have a few of those BackBoxBeauties! Pretty sure the good ones were made by Queen!
    Don't think I have that serpentine. Nice looking knife!!

6. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    Thanks Fellas. Add to the thread all ya want. It's all about sharing what you know more than what ya got. Here's the whittler.
    Greg

[​IMG]

7. VCM3

VCM3 Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 26, 2005
    Greg,I don't know what color the box was,but look at the color of the bone on this whittler & check out the blades
    [​IMG]

8. VCM3

Oct 26, 2005
    I like this one too,3-3/8" closed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    Looks to have a lot nicer grinds! I never paid much mind to these knives until just recently when I saw the serpentine jack somewhere. Might have been in here? That's when I went looking for one and started discovering the others. I had a few of the Winchester Sunfish pattern but never gave much thought to any others. I should flog myself for being so blind.
    Greg

10. VCM3

Oct 26, 2005
    LarryM hooked me on these,I wish I had some of the ones I traded off
    Like this one
    [​IMG]

These days though,I carry custom slipjoints,but these knives,though, are really well made

11. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Not my images, but these are the two that I have. Great carry knives (once sharp):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Those blades are amazing!! I've never seen a swedge like that one on the main before!!

13. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    Good ones! I'll probably be up to my armpits in these guys before long.:)
    Greg

14. Christopher W

Christopher W

Aug 18, 2006
    Really like those whittlers!

15. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    A couple more. A 89 Sowbelly.
    Greg

[​IMG]

16. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    A 88 Lockback.
    Greg

[​IMG]

17. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    I love those and have picked up a few of the Winchesters from Blue Grass. Every one I have handled has been consistently excellent as far as f&f, handle materials and blade action. I have not handled any of the ones beyond the mid '90's, but I am betting that they are still just as nice. I do know that Blue Grass is still running the adds for them, typically on the back cover of Knife World.

18. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    Gotta agree with ya Bastid.
    Greg

19. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    I have two of the coffin jacks. Great knives....

[​IMG]

20. salty141

salty141 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2007
    A Sweet sweet pattern here! I love Jacks!