"Black Box" Winchesters

I have developed a bit of an interest in the 1980's Winchesters that were marketed by Blue Grass Cutlery. While I was out at Parker's knife show in Sevierville, TN today, I ran across a few. This run has the old stock Utica bone scales and some patterns I haven't been able to find anywhere else. This pattern is probably my favorite. I couldn't get over how well made they are. I'm not sure which factory did the construction on them but they did a darn good job. These ain't the China made stuff you hear about.
Greg
All the photos I previously posted in this thread are gone. They were being stored on the Fototime website. I have used them for years and they just folded overnight. I hope to restore the images in the future but can't say for sure.
orig.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one, Greg. :thumbup::thumbup: (One of my favorite patterns.)

I have a couple of Winchester's from Blue Grass that I enjoy a lot myself. One is the double-end swell-center (balloon) with spear and clip blades. The other a smaller equal end with the same setup and blade configuration.

A couple of others I had made their way to a couple of forum buddies just because. :cool:

I think know the one you're talking about Blues. Like a slim, swell center Moose pattern? I'll probably go back and get one tomorrow. Here's the Coffin Jack. I should get better photos of the tang stamps to show how they are dated with the year of issue. The bone appears to be almost black but they are a very dark brown.
Greg

orig.jpg

Greg, there was a slim one like that. I sent that one to Gus. The one I still have is beefy and about 3 7/8". It's a stout knife. The 3.5" or 3 5/8" equal-end is also pretty stout. (The latter knife received the Krein treatment and is a screamer now.)

There's stock images of the knives in my foto albums (link is below) but didn't want to hijack this thread.

I have a few of those BackBoxBeauties! Pretty sure the good ones were made by Queen!
Don't think I have that serpentine. Nice looking knife!!

Thanks Fellas. Add to the thread all ya want. It's all about sharing what you know more than what ya got. Here's the whittler.
Greg

orig.jpg

Greg,I don't know what color the box was,but look at the color of the bone on this whittler & check out the blades
DSCN1376.jpg

I like this one too,3-3/8" closed
DSCF3648-1.jpg

DSCF3649-1.jpg

Looks to have a lot nicer grinds! I never paid much mind to these knives until just recently when I saw the serpentine jack somewhere. Might have been in here? That's when I went looking for one and started discovering the others. I had a few of the Winchester Sunfish pattern but never gave much thought to any others. I should flog myself for being so blind.
Greg

LarryM hooked me on these,I wish I had some of the ones I traded off
Like this one
DSCF4071.jpg

These days though,I carry custom slipjoints,but these knives,though, are really well made

Not my images, but these are the two that I have. Great carry knives (once sharp):

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Greg,I don't know what color the box was,but look at the color of the bone on this whittler & check out the blades
DSCN1376.jpg
Those blades are amazing!! I've never seen a swedge like that one on the main before!!

Good ones! I'll probably be up to my armpits in these guys before long.:)
Greg

I love those and have picked up a few of the Winchesters from Blue Grass. Every one I have handled has been consistently excellent as far as f&f, handle materials and blade action. I have not handled any of the ones beyond the mid '90's, but I am betting that they are still just as nice. I do know that Blue Grass is still running the adds for them, typically on the back cover of Knife World.

I have two of the coffin jacks. Great knives....

P1010022.jpg

Back