BladeForums BEST BOWIE - 2011 Edition - Voting CLOSED, Finalists Selected

This thread gets sicker every year!!!:eek: There are some incredible knives posted and I am both shocked and very pleased that someone else actually saw fit to include on of my poor little knives.:D it is REALLY hard to pick one that stands out, but for me, it is the ST 24 because it truly is possibly the best example of the breed that I have ever seen and it has been in hiding for a while.:thumbup: I'm glad that it got posted this past year because it lets me off the hook as far as having to choose between all of these magnificient knives that the living have posted.:rolleyes::D

OK, I've been watching and the entries are outstanding. Can I play?

I'm not going to make your lives easier--but possibly more fullfilling. Here we go....

1. Farr/Gregory/Pinnock
orig.jpg

2. Mark Knapp
orig.jpg

3. Hill Pearce (Hey, so they're 30+ years old. They're new to me in the Spring!)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

5. Steve Vanderkolff
orig.jpg

6. Russ Andrews
orig.jpg

7. Lamont Coombs
orig.jpg

8. Dave Loukides
orig.jpg

Continued....

1. Kevin Casey
orig.jpg

2. Mike Craddock
orig.jpg

3. Shawn Knowles
orig.jpg

4. Nick Wheeler (Another from his set of 10. This is my fave.)
orig.jpg

5. J.R. Cook
orig.jpg

6. Dave Lisch
orig.jpg

7. Scott McGhee
orig.jpg

8. Brion Tomberlin
orig.jpg

Thanks for the opportunity to show off these GREAT makers' knives.

Coop

Thank you Jim I was hoping that one would get put in. A lot of supper knives so far it fun just to see how many ways there is to do a handle.

Beautiful work all over this thread.

I don't want this wonderful piece from Adam DesRosiers to get missed though. It is one of my favorites from 2011.

#1 Adam DesRosiers
orig.jpg

That Erickson/Warenski Bowie is fantastic! I did manage to get this very nice Bowie from Joe Mandt this year. Wish I could take a better picture but here she is.

JoeMandtBowie.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Coop - of course you can play! Glad you added that Tomberlin piece - I had been scouring my files to find something other than the blurry Blade Show shot I had of the knife. I can stop looking now. Great additions across the board - the Hill Pearce pieces are sooooooo elegant.

While I hate to disqualify myself, the Farr / Gregory / Pinnock piece falls outside the 2011 bracket. I am exceedingly grateful for the nod, though. :)

Erin - that DesRosiers blade is another I was searching for and couldn't find - thanks for adding it in.

Joe Mandt - multiple entries this year - look at you! :thumbup:

Roger

All fantastic

Coop

I love the second Hill Pearce Bowie

Sinister and wicked but so old world classy, Timeless .

Thats the best my feeble vocabulary can do :)

thought I should add these ones as well;

#1. Chris Moss
IMG_0376.jpg

#2. Matthew Gregory
5662949800_549c7cbb8d_b.jpg

Okay. I have come to the conclusion that there are WAY too many guys making very nice bowies these days.:D

Okay gents - voting will start in the morning. Please WAIT for the official close of nominations and start of voting. Last call for submissions for the nomination round - post 'em up!

We've seen some really terrific knives to this point - most of them pristine and perfect. I'd like to give a nod to two hard working knives that have proven they can do their job all day, every day, and never call in sick. Not a lot of glamour, but impressive examples of custom cutlery nonetheless:

1. Russ Andrews

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

2. Derrick Wulf

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Roger

Thank you Roger for the mention and the post, here's a couple more that were just resently finished.

#2 Buxton, Brown walrus
Brownivoryturk.jpg

#3 Buxton, stag
Bstagfighter.jpg

Thank you again,

Bill

I'd like to nominate this fantastic W2 bowie by Mike Quesenberry.

Bowie1.jpg
Bowie2.jpg

Last edited:
Man, this is going to be crazy difficult! So many wicked pieces to fixate on.

Roger, thanks for the "big eyes" on the Royer. Jeff, you are one of the few folks who got to feel the balance on that beast. Kyle's handle work on this one is like a great carry melt job on a custom 1911, smooooooth.

Coop, I'm lovin' that first Hill Pearce. You don't really want to keep that one in your Pearce museum do you?

And while I'm beggin', Joe R. are you ready to turn over that blue handled Hanson to your Irish/Japanese brother :D

And to whoever has the green handled Hanson, I'll slap fight Jon Brand for the right to buy it :beaten: Bet he knocks me out to get it.

Better stop or I'll have a list of 20 knives from this thread that I'm begging folks to let go of.

Wow - I'm in love with that brown walrus Buxton.

John - you won't find a bigger fan than me of that maker and that particular knife, but daggers are excluded.

Roger

Last edited:
I have and old Bowie knife that I abused as a child. It originally had a Camel skin sheath and antique wood handle. The only identifying marks of "INDIA" indented into the blade and what looks like an "R" that is underlined. I would really like to know more about it and maybe get it restored. Now that I'm in this forum it may not be a bowie knife at all. It's more shaped like a boomerang.

Bobby

John - you won't find a bigger fan than me of that maker and that particular knife, but daggers are excluded.

Roger

Sorry Roger. I missed that. I edited my post to nominate a fitting knife from the same maker.

Thanks John D. John C- guess I really liked that knife! Edited out - thanks.

Roger

Back