Boker Apparo: Newton Martin Designed Hollow Handle Survival Knife

The little prototype is giving me goose bumps! Why do you tempt us so? :)

It's still going through environmental testing :)

DSC_0676.jpg

DSC_0275c.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0691.jpg

You Rascal! What cool pics. Give me a heads up when this one is available please! Let me know if I can assist in any testing. ;)

Mist, your reviews are always spot on, and as such, I have just pulled the trigger on the Apparo. Maybe one day, I'll go after the 9" version from Martin's site. Don't think this'll replace my current outdoors knife, but it's a great little piece to mess around with.

Great review. I love the photos - especially the one with the fire lighting up your curliecues. How is the blade attached to the handle? It seems like a potential weak spot. Also, what is purpose of the holes in the hillt guard?

You Rascal! What cool pics. Give me a heads up when this one is available please! Let me know if I can assist in any testing. ;)

Thanks Trent, I'll let you know when I know more. I appreciate the offer, but I think I got this :D

Mist, your reviews are always spot on, and as such, I have just pulled the trigger on the Apparo. Maybe one day, I'll go after the 9" version from Martin's site. Don't think this'll replace my current outdoors knife, but it's a great little piece to mess around with.

Thanks man, I'm glad you like the reviews and I really hope you enjoy the knife as much as I have. I've handled a lot of Newt's custom work at Blade and it's always very nicely done. It's probably not the type of knife most would want carry every day, but it is a nice piece and definitely has it's applications as far as my uses go.

Great review. I love the photos - especially the one with the fire lighting up your curliecues. How is the blade attached to the handle? It seems like a potential weak spot. Also, what is purpose of the holes in the hillt guard?

Thank you, glad you liked it and enjoyed the photos. I think any joined knife has a potential weak spot, and the best one can do is to minimize that weakness to a reasonable level for the knive's intended purpose. There are a few hollow handled knives on the market that have shown the viability of the concept of hollow handled survival knives. Newt's system is a thick, wide, and heavy tang threaded into a heavy-walled stainless steel tube, and then epoxied into place with advanced epoxy from the aerospace industry that has been shown to deal very well with extreme temperature changes. I assume Boker has followed his design and done the same. I have first hand experience at seeing some of these epoxies used in similar applications in tomahawks and have been really impressed with the results.

Just saw where Newt posted one on his face book page, and when I wrote him he said he will have it back from the sheath maker in a week and three more the week after that.

Great review
I recently obtained an Apparo and have not had the chance to put it to any serious work, so I am very happy to see it in action.
Thank you

Just wanted to say thanks for the great in depth review. I was on the fence on the Boker Apparo, i was looking at the tad version. But couldn't justify a $600 work knife. I love the design and I m going to pull the trigger on the Boker Apparo after reading your testing and review. Thanks again.

Thanks to this thread I learned the Apparo fits in a SpecOps sheath, and boy does it ever fit perfectly! Like it was made for it! Great knife, too bad Newt isn't selling the compass caps separately anymore :(

Say Heah Guys. Yeah I got bit by the Rambo Bug, So I started to search for one. When I found out what they were made out of, being a Steel Snub, I really got disappointed. But then I found a Buckmaster #184, That was made like a "Tank" so I bought it instead, and no regrets, But the steel wasn't what I really wanted, but like I said no regrets. Then, we'll back then I was still on pretty good shape and I was talked into going Hog Hunting with a knife. My friends suggested I buy a Tomahawk Brand Survival Knife XL1161 (was also made in China for a while), it was the longest blade, but it was made in a 440c. Stainless and the one I bought was made in the U.S.A. I still have it and it's still in great shape. The spine was a very thin very sharp teeth saw that was used to easily cut through the tough hyde and really served me well.

At that time, I was shopping for a knife to take up to Canada for a Fishing Trip. So I went shopping for a knife, because the Buckmaster #184 was a bit much, it is a "Tank", and I found one at the mall where a SportingGood Store was going out of business, I never heard of Cold Steel then and didn't know much about their knives..So I bought my first C S Knife. Neither did the owner or me knew anything about the knife, because I bought the knife thinking it was a 420 Stainless, that's what the guy sold it to me as the stainless, I bought it regardless because we were doing to be around water. I bought it at a great price for $150.00, Because I liked how it felt and how well it was made. It turned out to be made in the San Mai 3. When I found out what that steel was, I got into getting more C S Knives and I have a few in the CarbonV too, Infact I have (2) CarbonV Recon Scout's, one that I use, the other one is virgin and still has the red warning tape on it and tge Cardura Sheath.

I also found a great guy that had connections with Randall Made Knives, He designed a knife that was made by Randall and bought their knives in high volumes, so I didn't have to wait as long to get a knife through him, His name was Wayne. I ordered a Model #1, that followed by the Model 14, which I got it in the One Finger Grove Handle, I think they call it the Griffin Handle. and then I bought the Model #18 both of the other Randall Made are in O1 the Model #18 is in the S.S
he told me sometimes when they (Randall) gets a good price on 440c. they use 440c. other wise they use 440b. Mine was made in the 440c. I got the Knured Handle, and the Compass, but because the compass comes only with a Brass Cap so the compass doesn't demagnitize, I also got the Hilt in the Brass. The contrast made it look beautiful. Oh, and I also got the Attack Version.

Then I found out about a Russian made Professional Survival knife called the NB1-01, But the "B" is a "V" in the Cyrillic Alphabet so It's the NV1-01, it's a Spear Point 6" Re-Curved blade made out if their Truck Spring Steel G65. The Sheath hold other blades like a harpoon and Saw and in the hollow handle has some hookd, matches, sinckers and a Styrofoam Bobber, etc. and on the sheath is a sharpener glued on and some cordage, A really well made survival knife and the compass comes seperate in a compartment on the sheath, that sometimes I read some question what that compartment is used for and some say fir water purification tablets. Mine came with a Compass and that's what it's for, the compass. The knife is made at tge Izshmas Plant where they make the AK-47.

Then I found out about the Bokor Plus Aparro, It's everything and then some tgat already was said about the Bokor Plus Aparro. I've batoned it, I chopped through wood with it batoning it. And the 440c. Well I grew up on the 440c. Stainless Steel, at that time it was the top of the line before the C M 154 and the ATS-54 Stainless took its place. If properly Tempered, it's a good stainless. I could get a decent edge on it, and zip have a few Vintage Solengin Knives made in it and their great knives. So I really did have any problem getting the Bokor Plus Aparro. Especially when I found it was a Martin Design, That made it that much easier to buy. I bought mine for a $100.00 and I thought that was a very good price to beable to get a good 440c. Stainless Steel Knife made that good. I don't have anything bad to say about it and I defenetly would recommand the Bokor Plus Aparro to everyone. You won't regret it. I also never had any problems with the leather sheath and believe me I've used it sort of rough, The sheath probably will out live me. Yeah, this was a great review, especially if your thinking of getting this well made hollow handle survival knife.

Back