Boker-HK Emerson hybrid????

Has anyone seen the latest issue of Brigade Quartermaste? There is a Boker-HK knife tht looks like it has the Emerson logo on it. I know Emerson has worked with HK before. Is this an Emerson design? Did He license the design to Boker?

Did he license a design to HK who is having Boker make his knives?

The knife resembles an Emerson design. With the EmersonHK logo on it, it must be something Emerson was involved with.

I this the knife that Emerson was making for the HK Training division?

I got one of the Boker HK knives thinking that it was an Emerson design to add to my collection. If it is an Emerson design, his ability to control the quality of his designs has gone to crap. I paid $129.00 (should be $29) for a cheesy plastic kife with a thin .100 thick blade that wobbles like crazy when opened. It's got a liner about .020 thick that I can bend with my fingers. There are huge gaps between the handle pieces that you can see through. Not to mention the factory sharpening, there were three distinct bevels at the edge and I had to saw through card board just to bet it to tear bhrough. Doesn't speak very well of Emerson, dosen't speak well of Boker, doesn't speak well of HK. Anyone else out there seen this piece of junk?

It looks like Emerson is rushing to cash in on his name again. I saw one of the knoves at a local gun store. Definitely looks like an Emerson design. It has his logo with the HK logo superimposed on it. The store had it marked $119.00 and the owner told me that he believed it was an Emerson design. He had Emerson knives in the same case and the logo looks like a hybrid Emerson HK logo. What a blatant attempt to rip the public off with marketing BS. Emerson and HK on a knife that was clearly b3elow the reputation that these names represent. Iguess Emerson is only after money and not quality. I guess he doesn't realize that your name is only as good as the product it represents. You put your name on dog dirt and guess what your name represents? I had mor faith in his integrity.....

The following is from Brigade Quartermasters web site:

hck01a.jpg

The most thoroughly silenced of a long line of H&K weapons, the Combat Folder is built with German engineering, French steel, and absolutely no compromises.

Blade: Tanto style, half serrated, fabricated from X15 T.N., a steel used in the manufacture of specialized medical and surgical instruments, from the French firm of Aubert & Duval. The ambidextrous thumb-lift is an actual USP magazine release. The blade features a subdued black finish and carries the H&K logo.

Handles are made of the same composite polymer used in the HK USP frame and the newly introduced SL8-1. They provide an extremely positive grip, featuring stippling and checkering identical to that of the USP grip, and also carry the H&K logo. Pocket Clip and Liner Lock are manufactured from a high quality spring steel.

Specs: Blade- 3.25''; Overall length- 7.94''; Closed- 4.75'' ; Weight- 3.75 oz.

Manufactured in Germany by Boker Knife Co.. An ideal gift for an H&K fan (even if that fan is you!) [8 oz/227gm]

The knife is even shown on H&K's web site.

While it does in fact appear, in these tiny pictures, that the knife bears an Emerson logo, no where does anything mention the Emerson name. It clearly says it's a Boker product, made in Germany and is made from some French steel instead of 154CM.

Derek, ya'll know anything about this?

John Hollister

[This message has been edited by John Hollister (edited 05-29-2000).]

Derek and I talked about this. He said in no way was Ernie involved w/ this knife, other than creating the ORIGINAL and his designs influencing others. The Logo issue is just a blatant copy. IMHO Caveat Emptor !
biggrin.gif

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

Mr. DeWitt

I got to thinking about your knife last night.

The knife is an Emerson "Wanna-to-be". I'll go so far as to say that the logo was designed to make people think it was an Emerson design. It appears they were hoping that unsuspecting buyers would associate the knife with Emerson's reputation for quality.

To use an analogy, If you purchase a watch that has Rolex's logo on it (and paid a premium mind you) and upon examination you find it's a piece of junk, then you were duped.

However, if you buy a Rolex knock off at a flea market for $30 to impress the chicks at the local watering hole, shame on you.

From your post I think you were scamed. Granted, you should have known better. No where in the ad does it mention Mr. Emerson or the Emerson Company. This should have been a clue.

You paid a premium for what your have determined to be junk. Return it with a nasty note. Get your money back and buy a CQC7 (or better yet a Commander) from one of the fine vendors on Bladeforums.

While your at it, I would send off a nastygram to H&K for putting their name on such a piece of junk in the first place. Ever since they were bought by a British Aerospace firm, they haven't been worth a crap. (that's my "Firearms Instructor" side coming out).

John

Looking at the Emerson web site in the latest news section, they talk of a CQC7 that is being produced with the H&K logo - could this knife be a licensed derivative?

Regards,

Ed

It sounds like you got hosed but you don't need me to tell you that. I would send the Boker back to Brigade to exchange it for another knife.
I would also let Boker know exactly how I felt about the product in a letter. The sales reps in the states could probably care less but to me its a matter of principle. I would send the same letter to HK.
The fact that the knife is made in Europe might explain the bold logo lifting. From what I understand legally there is not much a US based company can do about trademark, copyright or even patent infringements abroad. I am not a lawyer so dont quote me on this one but that's what I've heard from another major knife manufacturer.

------------------
Usual Suspect
http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/arkhamdrifter/index.html

Please don't get us wrong. H&K did offer an "H&K" logoed CQC7. It was an official H&K item. For what ever reason (better left to Derek, H&K no longer offers the Emerson knives. But I'm willing to bet money had something to do with it.

Boker had nothing to do with these knives.

Recently a batch of these knives came up for sale. Some of the venders here on BF.com may still them.

Below is a picture of the Emerson/H&K CQC7.

John
hk.jpg

I do not have an awful lot to say on this at this time however, we have recieved several phone calls regarding this knife. There is some confusion regarding this knife given the fact that we did a small run of knives for the HK Training Division.

Neither Emerson Knives Inc. nor emerson SpecWar Knives had ANYTHING to do with the design or production of this knife.

Our legal department is looking in to this matter. I wish that people would simply come up with their own ideas and stop infringing on the copyrights and trademarks of others. A knife design is one thing but a logo.....? Sheesh.

Derek

------------------
Emersonknives.com

The #1 Hard Use Knives In The World

Based on what I have read and seen, here is what I can figure out on the knives. Benchmade used to make a CQC-7 (Emerson Design) knife that Heckler and Koch Firearms used as there "promotional" knife. Then when Emerson and Benchmade split ways Benchmade tried to sell the new AFCK 800SPECIAL(Tanto version), but HK didn't like it. Then later in 1999 Emerson began advertising on his website a ACTUAL CQC-7 that had the HK logo and said International Training Division. Now, as far as the Boker version goes. A few months ago in One of the 3 main Knife magazines (Blade, Knives Illustrated, Or Tactical Knives..at this time I can not remember which) they ran a story on the "INNER" workings of Boker, and they stated that Boker was coming out with a New Boker that was licensed by HK with the HK logo. In all the pictures in the magazine it did not use the Emerson logo's. All the pictures I have seen since exept the one in Brigade Quartermasters also only used the HK logo, not the Emerson Logo. From the pictures the blade style does resemble a Emerson shape and grind, but is not exact. The blade material is X15 some new type of material that is supposedly stronger and does not rust and or dull as quickly as ATS-34. The BOKER version is a version of Bokers already popular line of "Tactical Liners" From what I can see the ACTUAL Boker is not a copy of the Emerson, but they may have changed a few things before they released it. I hope this helps a little.

------------------
Matt
If you are not living on the edge, then you are taking up to much room!
AKTI member# A000233
NKCA member# 33662
www.geocities.com/qballhk40

Q-Ball,

The real issue here is not so much the knife itself but the logo that was used on the knife. It is hard to see in the photos but it is a pretty obvious copy.

Take care,
Derek

I am in total agreement, if Boker is using the EMERSON style logo, or design then it is definitely not right. What I meant to portray in my last post was that in the article in the Knife magazine the only thing the blade said was HK Firearms by Boker. It did not use the SpecWar logo graphic. WHat I was getting at was that it may be possible that somehow B.Q. had "superimposed" a Emerson Graphic on the picture in the Ad, Since the HK WEBSITE shows the same knife, I may be incorrect. I apologize that my last post was a little vague on this issue. I agree if they are actually using a copied graphic, than Emerson should do something about it. I apologize if I came across as if I was blaming Emerson for being upset. If they are copying the design, he has every right to be angry.

sorry,

------------------
Matt
AKTI member# A000233
NKCA member# 33662 www.geocities.com/qballhk40

[This message has been edited by Q-ball (edited 05-31-2000).]

Matt,

Absolutely no need to apologize. I just wanted you to know exactly what we are complaining about. A lot of people whine about knife designs being copied and that can get pretty vague but the logo thing, to me, is pretty cut and dried.

Take care,
Derek

------------------
Emersonknives.com

The #1 Hard Use Knives In The World

Hi!

Just got back from a combined hunting/fishing show and i saw the knife in question.

Sorry to say the logo looks very much like the specwar logo, i'm a bit disappointed by HK trying to rip off Mr.Emerson's good name.

For a company that manufactures top of the notch firearms this seems more then weak
frown.gif

Just wanted to give further input to the topic, guess i sounded like a weenie???

Anyway...

------------------
Be well!/Jonas aka 2Sharp

"May all your detonations be expected"

The coolest bar in the world: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Camp/8373/index.html

I saw this knife in a gun shop and looked at it for a long time. But, warning bells immediately went off in my head because I figured I would have heard about Emerson striking a new deal with Boker, so I didn't buy. The logo doesn't just look the same, it IS the same, right down to the vertical line coming down between the two "legs" and through the wording. All that is missing is the 'Emerson' name! I guess Boker can write me off as a future customer unless they straighten this out. I think I will write to a few of the knife mags about this. You all should too.

-Scott

Boeker has been around for a long time & is generally a class act- so I find it hard to believe that they lifted the Specwar logo on purpose- the only explanation I would believe would be if they lifted the specwar logo along with the H&K logo from the old BM. I don't have one here for reference & don't know how close the two logos are on the BM. If that's the case, apologies are in order & someone has the opportunity to pick up an accidental "Boeker Specwar"- if it was deliberate, I guess Ernie's gonna sic the lawyers on 'em...

------------------
Runs With Scissors
AKTI# A000107

Rugger:
On the old Benchmades the HK logo is on the beveled side of the blade.. There is NO SpecWar logo on this knife. On some of the Benchmade CQC-7's it did have the SpecWar logo, but it said Emerson design within it.
As far as the Newer Emerson CQC-7 for HK, the SPecWar logo, and the HK logo are spread far enough that I would HOPE the couldn't get them confused.
smile.gif
Have a good one!

------------------
Matt
AKTI member# A000233
NKCA member# 33662 www.geocities.com/qballhk40

[This message has been edited by Q-ball (edited 06-02-2000).]

Matt,
Thx for the info!
Cheers,
Mike

------------------
Runs With Scissors
AKTI# A000107