• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Brad Duncan Custom Knives = NO HONOR! Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XJ-linux

Gold Member
Anyone else get robbed by this coward? Same old story here... sent him the cashiers check in October 2007 (which he cashed right away of course) and months later no knife, no communications, no nothing! Turns out he isn't even listed as a business in Texas according to the Better Business Bureau. To anyone even considering one of Brad's knives: DON'T DO IT, move on to someone reputable like Lightfoot. Brad Duncan doesn't deliver the goods, doesn't return calls and doesn't return emails. Yeah, I know knifemakers can often take a long time to complete an order as that's just the state of the industry. I can handle that, no problem. But I haven't even been given the usual courtesy of being told "I'm a bigshot knife maker shut up an be glad you have been given the privilege to chuck off and wait." by Brad. I've heard nothing unless his poorly composed automated email replies count. Funny thing though... I looked over his website again, trying to view it from a general internet consumer stand point -vs- a knife collector standpoint. In retrospect, if he were in any other business I never would have sent him a dime: no address listed, no phone number listed, no recent updates to his site content, expired or outdated email addresses, poor spelling and improper grammar. Basically, very unprofessional site and fitting the profile of a scam website. Anyhow, best not to get off on a rant. Don't order anything from him as he can't even deliver on orders from October 2007, so I would doubt anything you order now will get done anytime soon. Oh, and according to his website he IS accepting orders AND full payments for new work, I checked via email. Ed Yabarra apparently answers emails at elkent892@verizon.net for NEW orders only. Previous business dealings don't concern him at all and don't get addressed by him or anyone else apparently. Mostly, DON'T send him a dime until your knife is in your hand since you will not hear from him again once he is paid. If you MUST buy one, go through a reputable dealer or at least pay him with Amex or another credit card that will back you up in a dispute. If you have a problem or need to contact him, don't bother with his business number: 214-440-9250 or his email: brad@duncanknives.com - they're both just dead ends. I always said that I would never engage in the open flaming of someone on the forums, but this time (for Brad Duncan) I'll make an exception. He deserves it for stealing $450 from me. Hope it's worth it Brad and a Happy Flippin' New Year to you too! Oh, and Brad, feel free to post your side of the sob story. It would be welcome since I havent heard ANYTHING from you or your new business manager, Ed Yabarra, since you cashed my check.

I have heard this before of Brad...I personally would never order a custom knife from any maker that requires payment in advance. Unless I specify some unusual material such as Gold, Ivory, or Diamond inlays..in as which I would possibly consider paying for the cost of the custom material. This is something I must admit I have never done...Gold and Diamonds are just a bit out of this potato eaters reach. Anyway..sorry you got screwed...your not the first to have complained about this maker.

never never never ever pay in advance.

a deposit to cover expensive materials ie ivory or damascus, etc is ok but never ever pay up front.

a couple yrs ago i wanted a duncan knife, but i would not break the one rule i never break, never ever pay in advance,

his brother has had some issues also FWIW.

wayyy too many dead honest smiths to take a chance imho, and its been my experience the honest smiths dont want to be paid upfront anyway, the moment a smith starts that with me its a red flag FWIW.

YMMV, but i dont think by much lol.

i do feel your pain, i hope it works out.

where in TX is he located?

Thanks for the tip on paying in advance. I would have used a credit card but his email reply was:

On Oct 5, 2007, at 5:57 AM, Brad Duncan wrote:

Hi David,

I do take personal Checks.

that would be the best way to pay this time.

My Merchant account is up inthe air due to a overseas stolen credit card scam.

So Just make a Check out to Brad Duncan ( no Knives)

Where will the check be coming from?

Thanks
Brad

Brad is located at:

1806 Pin Oak Trail
Anna, TX 75409

That's quite upsetting to read. Perhaps, some of these makers should remember that it's us, the buyers, whom keep them in business. I got off two makers' waiting lists after coming to the conclusion I could be dead long before I ever received either of the knives(excellent that they might be). It just wasn't worth the 10 month to 2 year wait for me.

I like some of Brad Duncan's work. Actually looking into purchasing one of his models. But after reading past posts and now this one, I will not be ordering from him directly. I think I will pursue the For Sale forums and some of the reputable online knife purveyors. Thanks for the heads-up. Not good business practice for Brad Duncan, word spreads quickly.

Remember, even if you buy from a reputable dealer, or another member here, you will have to deal with Brad for any warranty work or repairs.

First, let’s just say I was a huge fan of Brad Duncan knives, (I like how his knives look & feel). What I don’t like is people taking advantage of others like Duncan is doing to quite a few people who post on this forum. It truly tarnishes his name and brand….
All that said and done, last week my wife and I had won a Brad Duncan knife on eBay. I won it for an amazing low price for this knife, $538. I took a chance and bid on the auction from a seller who had a 0 feedback score. I am sure I won this knife for such a low price because of the trust factor of a 0 feedback score.
To make a long story short, it ended up being Brad Duncan’s wife selling the knife on eBay. I was shocked when she demanded more money for the knife than the winning price on the auction. She stated that she made a mistake, and to send her $720. She also stated, “Im not a dealer, thats cheeper than what a dealer would charge you”. I understand that a first time user on eBay can make mistakes, but work something out, (ie; split the difference, etc). I had mentioned this to her, and she ended up not wanting to communicate with me anymore. Thus in turn, I will never see this knife. I had also double checked all the info and have proof of everything I stated. I had also sent all the emails and eBay item # to Brad & Ed’s new email address and never received a response.

I did not lose any money on the transaction like others had on this forum, but it was still very frustrating. What I don’t understand is; first, why Brad using his wife to sell his knives on eBay of all places? Second, why is he not getting other people their knives which have already been paid for? Third, how does this look to the dealers that represent him?

I am not a cheap person and have spent several thousand on knives in the past. I would have gladly paid more than the $720 she had requested for this knife to someone with a good reputation.

I was not going to mention this info, but after reading another negative experience with this knife maker, I just had to. Such a shame…….

A few years ago there was an extended GBU discussion about a person that bought Duncan knives with problems not disclosed by the seller.

My suggestion would be contact the local police to brad and see about filing a theft report. As for the wife on ebay, sounds like a similar sleazy kind of dealing.

STAY AWAY PEOPLE!

Like Ren said, this has all been heard before with Brad. It just doesn't wash when you browse dealer sites that stock his work and see new Duncan knives on a fairly regular basis but yet someone who has already paid for a knife can't get a return phone call or email. Too many times with the same story, it's not right. I hope eventually you can get either your knife or your money back XJ.

Thanks one and all for the public and private support and information. I was able to locate his wife's eBay auction so I sent (yet another) message. Hopefully she will reply.
Dave

his wife selling his knives on Ebay??? then changing the price...thats wrong..first of all. second of all its sleazy...they in my opinion are both crooks and I dont give a rats ass who I offend. I would never own a Brad Duncan knife and was given heads up on his activities long before it began to bubble to the surface....Crooks are crooks...plain and simple.

MRHAG, you should contact ebay and send them all your records pertaining to that auction. I'm pretty sure it is against ebay's rules to do what she did.

I had contacted eBay and in short, they don't really care. The only thing I had received from eBay was cut and paste responses, no real answers, no real help. I could probably spend a few hours of my time and make something happen, but I think the negative feedback I left her will probably be enough for now. I don't think she will be selling more items on eBay any time soon. eBay is not much help when dealing with problems, they just want their money and really have no true regard for good, honest, people.

Was it the Damascus Whiplash on ebay auction 110213983544 ??? The sellers name "stinrayextreme" sounds familiar.
Check out Duncans site. His wife Brandi Kirby Duncan sells stingray leather products there. Her email is stinrayextreme@yah...... - What a surprise :D

Dude - It also seems that the knife from ebay that actually should belong to you went to knifeart and has just been sold there.
It looks exactly the same. What a RIP OFF :thumbdn:

Brad is also saying on his Homepage that the new guy Ed checks all the emails once a day - Wonder what he`s really doing on the computer all the time :jerkit:

They will surely find out sooner or later that the important thing about running a business is NOT only building knives but having us collectors and users buying them :grumpy:

The knifeart.com knife is not the same knife as the one pictured at eBay. Unless the damascus blade somehow changed patterns... (I compared the eBay photo to the photo pf the sold one at knifeart.com)

Wow. This whole incident is a serious train wreck.

I have about ten names of makers whom I just don't need to spend money on, whether their knives are nice or available from a reputable dealer. They just would give me ojida...

Coop

I stand corrected - I had compared the other Duncan at knifeart.com and the blade damascus looked different.

The Cream Micarta (knifeart.com) photo and the ivory micarta (eBay.com) photo are indeed the same knife...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back