Breaking In The Newer Rc/ESEE-3 With Some Woodcraft

After years of reliable service I am retiring my old RC-3. The lettering is coming off and although I don't care much for things like that, this knife is different as it was our class knife of the 2007 Randall's Adventure and Training Jungle class.

Now to start getting my RAT Pack Knife dirty. I will like the rounded pommel a little bit more and will give the factory flat grind another chance before turning into a convex..

IMG_1960.jpg

I am not emotionally attached to gear in any way. Knives are tools, but this one is in danger of looking like any old used knife and loosing its identity.

taken last week in Peru
IMG_8366.jpg

Recently I retired it and started on my next one. Good timing as the house has been getting cold and all my firewood wet from last weeks rain.

Here was you can do with a small fixed blade on wood of wrist size thickness.

Something we teach in Alabama and Peru is that knife skills and fire making skills go hand in hand.
IMG_8826.jpg

Understanding what goes into making a fire dictates what you need to be able to do with your knife. It goes without saying that a knife has to be durable enough to make the common splits with a baton and have the edge to do the fine work like making fire sticks (fuzz sticks).
IMG_8865.jpg

Split down to finger and pencil size pieces
IMG_8848.jpg

Fuzz sticks can be made if there are no dry pine needles, old mans beard, pampas grass, cattail fluff, etc. or can be made on green or wet wood and placed around an existing fire to dry them out for the next day.
IMG_8838.jpg

Using the belly of a knife gives you that nice porky pig tail look.
IMG_8829.jpg

On the far right is the thick wrist size piece that was split and split further until thin enough to be used as kindling, and tinder when shaved correctly. The biger pieces are for fuel once the fire is breathing on its own.
IMG_8857.jpg

All done with a small lightweight compact knife with a 3.25" cutting surface and 1/8" thickness.
IMG_9027.jpg

-Reuben

Last edited:
Very nice! Firecraft is a skill and requires patience, not the biggest knife to cut down a tree with. Your RC-3 obviously did great! Great pics!

Back