buck 119 recent

i have a buck 119 special. the plastic handle feels great, but lacks any grip when sweaty, and it is not practical for me to wear gloves. has anyone had any success modifiying the handles?

Hello and welcome to the Forums!
I don't know of any practical way to modify the existing handle, aside from wrapping it with some kind of tape. Maybe someone else has tried something?

i was thinkin about making grooves or something along that line with a file or dremel. how thick is the handle material?

What about putting a bicycle inner tube on it? Seems like that would give a decent grip.
Bob

You could try taping up the guard and pommel and bead blasting it. A lot of folks do that to the slick Becker handles and report good results.

these suggestions sound good, what is "stipple" what effect would simply filing irregular notches in the handle have on the knife?

Tape off the guard and pommel and use a rough sandpaper to rough up the micarta handle. I use my woodsman as a kayaking knife, and this helped a huge amount. Use a random circular grinding motion with the sandpaper.

rdg said:
What about putting a bicycle inner tube on it? Seems like that would give a decent grip.
Bob
I can tell you from experience that a bicycle inner tube breaks down pretty quickly and can be quite a mess after just a short while.

Ok, well that's out then. Looks like we're back to wrapping some kind of tape. I wonder if bead blasting would be beneficial?
Bob

How about buy a new omni hunter?? Or a nighthawk? Great grip no need to modify a nice 119! By the time you have someone beadblast the 119 you could probably almost buy another Buck! 2 for the price of 1!!!!
Jim

travistheone said:
...what is "stipple"...

It's a method used by handgunners to get a better grip...imagine using a hammer and nail to make small "dings" in the material...the actual tool used is an impact wrench with a bit ground to a point, and low pressure to gouge the material... ;)

[size=-2](You could also grind the bit to an irregular point/shape, and gouge a knife blade with it...makes a nice "flint" effect...)[/size] :D

If you're going to blast it, use coarse sand, not glass beads (they make too smooth a surface)...

You *could* try some heat shrink tubing. I have re rubbered some knives with that in the past. Also you can trim it down after you have shrunk it.

HTH

I have beadblasted as well as sandpapered finishes on the 119's. The beadblasted finish is very "grippy" when wet, plus it takes the shine off the whole handle guard butt etc. On one, I removed the top guard and put a lanyard hole on the butt end.

The 119's are my favorite all around outdoor knife that you won't cry over if lost or broken. Any store with outdoor supplies carries these knives. Something to be said for availability at a low cost. Another advantage is that it doesn't have that armchair commando look to it. Keeps the sheeple happy in a very pc environment.

Dan

Someone mentioned micarta,,,, if that IS micarta, you may have a valuable collector. If it is the phenolic you might try that rubber paint on coating that electricians use to coat their pliers and tools. Look at an electrical supply store. It comes in colors...

There are many kinds of adhesive tape for bicycle handlebars. Try one or more of those. some are padded, some are cloth, some are leather.

Back