Buck General

I know that Buck made a "general", I am not sure what the model number was, I know it was longer that the 119, and blade had a blood groove, how long was the blade, and when the quit making this knife? Thanks, Justin.

The Buck 120, General in no longer part of the normal product line. But, is still made an sold by a few Buck customers as special order knives. One of those customers is Cabelas. The blade length on the 120 is about 7 3/8"
Edit: The old catalogs show the blade length at 7 1/2". However, the one I have measures at 7 3/8".
jb4570

Last edited:
Top one is a 120.

100-3745.JPG

Thanks for the information John. Thanks for the pictures edbeau, very nice. Is the bottom knife a model 102 woodsman?

Here is another pic with a 120 and 119 with some S&W Performance Center goodness in between:

I think Cabela's has quit selling the 120 with the Cabela's billboard advertising on the blade.

At least they were gone for a while. Are they back?

Special orders have indeed continued for a few retailers who buy a bunch and sell them as "discontinued" and rare.

The blood groove was changed in 2005 and I've never liked it since that year.

If I was buying, I'd buy an old one.

Thanks, BG42EDGE, I am looking for an older model, with blood grooves, do you know if Buck made a stag handle 120? Thanks, Justin

Sure, there are stag handles, but they are fairly hard to find and expensive.

I'd just get an old 120 with a beatup handle and have one of our talented forum knife manglers put stag on it.

Can end up about the same price as buying one with stag if things go well and you don't have to hunt for it for a long time.

That's what I'd check out first if I were you.

:thumbup:

Not in the catalog does not mean discontinued. Was a regular catalog item thru 2001 and has now reappeared in the catalog for 2011 & 2012 with the B&C logo & can sometimes be found in the $70-$80 range. I have seen or own examples with date codes for every year since 2001, with and without the Cabela's ProLine label, but I don't think they were made in very great numbers. I suspect they were made and sold to any retailers meeting a minimum order. There was a cocobolo/brass limited run in 2005 and stag limited edition in 2008. Top knife in the picture is a 2005 General with Cocobolo handle. Ebay pricing sometimes seems to be inflated by the mystique that this is a discontinued & rare knife.

120119102Cocobolo2005014a.jpg

Last edited:
DeSotoSky, beautiful knives!, did you buy them together, or separately? Is the middle knife a 102 Woodsman? Thanks for the pictures, JUstin.

Thanks, they were all purchased at different times. I got very lucky on the color match. The 102 and 119 came easily, they were a catalog item. Only 200 of the cocobolo 120's were made in 2005 and took a long time to find it. I wish there had been a cocobolo 103 and 105 that year, it would have made a great set.

120119102Cocobolo2005011a.jpg

Back