Buck high end/ super steels and good ol 420 HC

Nope, the cutting board underneath. Took chips out of 3 of my heavier knives before I figured out where it was coming from. I though I had 3 lemons for sure, one of which was 20+ years old.

I wish this thread had been posted a week ago, I just got my second Vantage. The first was the small 420hc version and I decided to try the larger size due to having large hands. I got s30v version and it flips open nicely and also I can use the slot hole for a slower opening when around the ladies at work. I've had a 112 for years and have been very happy with its steel, just thought the s30v would be something nice. Also picked up a new production 110 and am happy with it. I still like the large Vantage, for it size and feel, will see about the fancy steel as time rolls along.

Buck makes the best 420HC hands down. Paul Boss HT on this and many steels is second to none.

That is why I still favor the older knives with 440C. My preference in steels that they have used is BG42, followed by 440C.

With BOS heat treating 420HC DOES perform very well however.

Peter

Buck makes the best 420HC hands down. Paul Boss HT on this and many steels is second to none.

There was never a question, I think that is the ultimate point. Why spend the money on the premium steels when the 420HC is the better of the three. Buck needs to change the slogan to 13C26 Good, S30v fair, 420HC Better of the three choices.

Last edited:
OK Matt, lets do education moment. Jump in to follow up if needed..

Steel and the 300 series. The first Schrade made contract 300s were likely 440c bladed. The shortfall came in the design of the liner and after considerable troubles, the Camillus version was created. These two companies shared so much work it sometimes is tricky to know who made what anyway.
When Camillus took over, they were just making pocket knives to be used, abused and discarded. These were knives of the factories, fishing boats, barnyard and other occupations of rough work, 440a was the SS steel of that era. Buck took over the production of the 301,303,309 and 305 BUT the other models stayed at CAMILLUS. Lately, the 307 has been talked up, but is likely just 440a bladed. Others in this category are 313, 311, 319, 317 and 321. A couple more are in the mix also.

Now with Bucks building of the four models named above, they had to pick a SS steel to machine and heat treat. At the time 425M was available but special ordered. Research in-house continued and 420HC was compared with the 425 and it fit the production situation a little better. AND with the special heat treat you had a easy to machine, but with decent good edge holding ability blade.
Later the 312 and 314 were given the 420HC blades also. All those special SMKWs issues were Camilus steel.
420HC Bos method continues to be the steel of the 301,302,303,309 and 305. If we ever get that two blade knife with a clip and warcliff blade goning we can make it an even 6 models...(hint,hint)....

I know several of you guys have studied the situation and have good knowledge of the steel situation, one of the people who comments some on Buck blades is Knarfeng and I respect his statements also.

Last edited:
Craig, thanks again for the lesson in the history of the Buck steels. I am a bit confused on how it fits in to the current topic of conversation. I say that 420Hc is showing its worth in the knife spectrum when compared to the so called premium steels available in Buck knives.

I'm surprised we haven't gone into BG-42.
Maybe this is about the steels that Buck still produces.

I'm surprised we haven't gone into BG-42.
Maybe this is about the steels that Buck still produces.

Yes we are discussing currently available steels. I have never used BG42 but have heard it is good. Buck has used it and have decided not to continue using it. I believe some special projects still use it from time to time, Not really sure about that either.

I consider D2 as The most premium steel Buck has offered..a 118 in D2 is a perfect small fixed blade..

D2 is excellent steel. Also one of my favorites, but I don't have any Buck knives that use it, so it didn't come to mind.

If corrosion resistance is important, BG42 has an advantage over D2 in that it has a higher amount of cromium making it a "stainless" steel, where D2 is not.

ATS-34 is also an excellent steel that is "stainless".

Peter

Back