Buck's S30V vs 420HC

I must agree with zps, Alberta Ed, Pack Rat and others who have actually worked this steel to the point it got dull (with legitmate cutting work not taking any special care) then noted the big difference between the two. However, the camp is divided on this topic for whatever reason and there is room for differing experiences or opinions on it. Go to some other forums here and discuss this topic and it may/would be more lopsided toward the CPM steels. But thats ok what we have. DM

Because when they went to their fine blanking process it ate up their tooling quickly. DM

DM's right, after Buck transitioned to fine blanking they realized that it was to hard for their tooling and changed to something softer 425M, which in fact is a good steel as well.

The fact that Buck used one of the top cutlery steels for their blades for 20+ years always gives me a silent smile. Those not familiar with Buck it gives them a chin drop moment. Then new steels and mfg. methods came along. DM

There's always going to be newer and better steels coming along that last longer, have better rust protection and so on, CMP154 just happens to be the one now. It's like King of The Mountain.

My personal experience is that S30V holds an edge much longer, so that is my preference.

Neither of these steels are hard to sharpen for me, but I don't have the patience to sharpen by hand.

Here is what I use;
knifesharpening001.jpg

knifesharpening007.jpg

knifesharpening005.jpg

knifesharpening003.jpg

I only use 240 grit if the blade is really dull or I want to change the angle or fixed abused blades.

Usually I only need the 600 grit and the rough leather strop with compound to put a fine edge on a blade in a short time. I like the 600 grit to be worn somewhat also.

I use the smooth leather strop if I want to work a hair splitting edge, but normally I only do that when I am giving a knife to a friend.

I freehand all my sharpening.

I will probably hear from someone that says I am ruining the temper. I don't. I let the machine do the work...I don't force it and I don't rush through it. I can touch the blade along the edge at anytime while I'm sharpening a knife and feel no heat produced. Besides, how do you think Buck sharpens a blade?? Not by hand with a stone. :)

This system works well for me.

The machine says 1725 RPM's , and in my experience sharpening this way has no bearing on the temper of the steel. You have to heat the blade up allot more to effect it.

I think the answer is a question. "What exactly are you using the knife for and how often?"

I'm thinking about a Custom 110. If I do, it will be in S30V just because I liike the idea of an upgrade to the steel. That said, I'm just a little leery after purchasing a Spyderco Native in S30V. One day using it I was surprised to see a bunch of little chips to the edge. They came right out with a little touch up, but what concerned me was that I hadn't used the knife for anything that I could think uof that would chip the blade. I don't use my knives to chop down trees, as screwdrivers, prybars, etc. They are used only for slicing, cutting tasks only. I don't use the Spyderco anymore, as I like some of my other knives much better, so I can't say if it was a fluke, or something more common. Regardless, I'm hoping the Buck S30V doesn't do this as easily.

Last edited:
I doubt you'll have that problem with Buck steel. Buck's heat treat is superb. Reports of such problems with Bucks have been rare and lately......almost unheard of.

If it helps, I did the same thing 40 years ago with 440C......I think I just got the edge angle too extreme and when I redid it everything was fine. Sharpening a blade is no simple task and takes some care to do everything just right.

I doubt you'll have that problem with Buck steel. Buck's heat treat is superb. Reports of such problems with Bucks have been rare and lately......almost unheard of.

That's good to know. I think I'll be ordering a Custom 110 with S30V, in brass and Heritage Walnut scales (w/brass pins) soon.

Good choice.

I like the pins, being that there are only three showing. I've never liked the four (three plus rocker) that we see on the modern 110s.

The walnut is about the best of the standard scales.

You will be pleased with it, I'm sure.

:thumbup:

Back