Bucks with jigged handles

I was at the 'mart the other day, and saw a Solo/Stockman combo with jigged handles. I've been kind of hoping Buck would start making some jigged folders, but when I went on their website after seeing that in the store, there was nothing like that on it. Anyone know anything about these? Maybe some random trial or something?

These were made for Walmart as a holiday tin gift item. They also have a brass frame and are made in China.
IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

jb4570

My local WalMart was selling the jigged bone 373 Trio and 379 Solo combo in a clam pack for about $20.
Haven't looked recently.

The China Bucks are overlooked because they are........made in China. I have them in jigged and smooth bone thru various offerings on the 371 Stockman, 373 Trio, 375 Deuce, 379 Solo, 372 Muskrat, 380 Minitrapper, 382 Trapper, 385 Toothpick, 386 Lg Toothpick, and the 389 Canoe. The 389 Canoe alone has been offered in 9 different bone handles and make an interesting collection. Stag was available on the 382, 385, and 389. The only one I haven't seen a bone handle on is the 384 large trapper.

Yes, it must be at least a couple years ago that I predicted that any guy with all of the early China Bucks would have himself a rare and coveted collection.

Wish I'd taken my own good advice.

:D

Yes, it must be at least a couple years ago that I predicted that any guy with all of the early China Bucks would have himself a rare and coveted collection.

Now you're just mocking me.......:D

Before the Buck Custom Shop's big price increase and the loss of BG-42 as a blade choice, I had the middle, below, custom 110 made with NS bolsters, jigged/fg-ed water buffalo scales/BG-42 blade.

IMG_3525.jpg

The bottom one - also BG-42 - was a steal - $84 delivered. You can still get good buys... but jigged water buffalo is quite a bit more dear - as is stag - these days.

Stainz

Here is the ultimate Buck Jigged Bone set c.1989. Polished and engraved. You can go fishing for a set right now. They cost a pretty penny but cheap compared to what they would cost if made today. Does anyone know how many of these sets were made?

Buck050812RedBone0012.jpg

Buck050812RedBone0032.jpg

Buck050812RedBone0122.jpg

Last edited:
Desoto,

My file of that sort of stuff has decided to hide when I changed computers. This is a guess but I will step on my own tongue and say 1000, I am also making a educated guess this cased set was a SMKW offering. Lots of regular Redbones were made and I have even seen some broken up engraved sets being sold as individual knives. If someone sets there cap to have a set like your cased example they will likely be spending some C notes.

To answer the original post, the overseas jigged examples came out and then other styles replaced them. You likely will have to look hard to find some on some stores dusty shelves. Searching the auction site(s) will be far easier and you will eventually see a few more and different examples of jigged scales..espcially a 2007 version. Buck made examples from the 80's can be found there also. But only in the 301.303.309 and 305 models.

Last edited:
You got me thinking, in vintage USA made folding Buck knives there was the 305 Clipper, 310 Whittler, , 312 and 314 Trappers in jigged bone as well as the Camillus contracted 334 Millenium Trapper. In folding lock backs there is the 532 BuckLock. I snoozed once on a set containing the 500,501,503 and 505 folding lockers in brown jigged bone and have been kicking myself ever since. Going bigger there have been brown and red jigged offerings in the 110 and I think 112.

The Solo / Stockman jigged made in China combo pack has been available at my local 'wally for at least a few months now. I was there today and they still carry the set. I haven't seen in elsewhere. My local 'wally sells Bucks in box rather than blister pack, so I check out a set. The fit and finish was good. The set is tempting, but I've gotten a few used USA Buck and Case slipjoints and small lockbacks recently for just a bit more per knife than what this set goes for.

I was at the 'mart the other day, and saw a Solo/Stockman combo with jigged handles. I've been kind of hoping Buck would start making some jigged folders, but when I went on their website after seeing that in the store, there was nothing like that on it. Anyone know anything about these? Maybe some random trial or something?

Anyone know if these are Buck's 420HC?

I picked up one of those bone 373s. I've heard conflicting stories as to whether the Chinese made blades are 420hc or 420j. Either way, it sharpens nicely and is holding up well enough for small tasks

I did a little modding on it: put a little swedge on the spey blade, and ground out a bit of the scale to give myself a better angle. (sometimes when I have trouble opening a knife, it's not because the joint is too tight, but the angle is wrong for my thumbnail.)

7363353832_df820f64da_m.jpg

My first knife, a gift from my dad, was a buck 503 with 3 big vertical jig marks of Amber color. Has anyone seen this and know any info?

My first knife, a gift from my dad, was a buck 503 with 3 big vertical jig marks of Amber color. Has anyone seen this and know any info?

Welcome to the Buck forum. This thread was over 2 years old. Better to let it go and start a new one.
Concerning your knife, it's tough to say without a picture, sounds like some sort of horn.
Hope you have not lost it.

Back