Butterfly knives and military bases.

I work full time on a military base, and today I was instructed by an E5 (not much to take serious there) that they werent allowed on base and that it was against regulation. Though I openly carried and flipped one in front of officers of all types, including our batallion commander during annual training and no one said a thing other than "dont cut yourself" Any other military personnel happen to know if butterfly knives are legal for the base you live on/work at?

Hm, interesting question.

They aren't illegal in AZ, so you should be able to carry them anywhere except schools and whatnot. But maybe there's something about a military base that supercedes these laws. Like military bases are considered federal property and not state, or something like that.

You're a civilian, right? I think that the military can dictate what you can and can't carry (within your unit anyway), but that shouldn't apply to a civilian, unless there's a superceding law like above.

Maybe it's time to pick up a Benchmade AFO. ;) Nobody there could give you any flack for that... :cool:

It does seem ironic that at a military base somebody'd be worried about the kind of knife you carry. :rolleyes:

No, I'm enlisted and employed there. Even the army has its large share of sheeple. My butterfly knife is often considered a "mexican gangbanger" weapon. And, basically, on any military base, the post commander can outlaw whatever he wants, be it SAK's or butterfly knives. I'd imagine the rules would only be different on that post if it specifically illegalized something the state does not.

I was active and when I carried my butterfly knife, the only flak I got was a laugh or smirk. most times they ask if you know how to use it. One time I was told not to carry or use it but that e-5 was a dick any ways. all I did after that was keep it in my pocket around that person. As far as I know the base usualy respects the states law reguarding weapons. EI in NC it is legal to be 21 years of age and own a pistol. It's also legal for the registered owner to have said weapon in his or her vehicle so long as it takes more than 4 movements to gain access to and load the weapon. The base order states a service member in the barracks cannot have a weapon in the barracks. so we left them in our vehicles and were within perameters of all rules and regulations. Point being, bases usualy go by thier respective states law and all bases have their sepparate regulations. learn them all and stay in the guide lines. this way you can tell the E5 what to do next time they give you trouble. Another thing to keep in mind, a guy goes to the doc and says when I do this it hurts, the doc says to the guy, Then Don't Do That. don't play with your knife around some one that it pisses off.

I work full time on a military base, and today I was instructed by an E5 (not much to take serious there) that they werent allowed on base and that it was against regulation. Though I openly carried and flipped one in front of officers of all types, including our batallion commander during annual training and no one said a thing other than "dont cut yourself" Any other military personnel happen to know if butterfly knives are legal for the base you live on/work at?
I was active and when I carried my butterfly knife, the only flak I got was a laugh or smirk. most times they ask if you know how to use it. One time I was told not to carry or use it but that e-5 was a dick any ways. all I did after that was keep it in my pocket around that person. As far as I know the base usualy respects the states law reguarding weapons. EI in NC it is legal to be 21 years of age and own a pistol. It's also legal for the registered owner to have said weapon in his or her vehicle so long as it takes more than 4 movements to gain access to and load the weapon. The base order states a service member in the barracks cannot have a weapon in the barracks. so we left them in our vehicles and were within perameters of all rules and regulations. Point being, bases usualy go by thier respective states law and all bases have their sepparate regulations. learn them all and stay in the guide lines. this way you can tell the E5 what to do next time they give you trouble. Another thing to keep in mind, a guy goes to the doc and says when I do this it hurts, the doc says to the guy, Then Don't Do That. don't play with your knife around some one that it pisses off.
wth is up with E5s and balisongs ?? i had a 1SG compliment me but as soon as the E5 sees me flip “yOu KnOw YoUrE nOt SuPpoSeD hAvE tHaT iN uNiFoRm” call me crazy but AR 670 doesnt say anything abt balis

Back