Calling People Sheeple

What do you think about calling people who are nervous around knives; sheeple?

• I think they are sheeple

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I do not think they are sheeple

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • I do not agree with any of the responses

Votes: 34 20.6%
  • Bahh

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use the term myself. If a person doesn't like knives, I'm fine with that. If they don't like knives, and think all sharp knives should be taken away and replaced with butter knives, that would probably annoy me.

Mbkryan, IMO, the only thing separating many people's fear of knives using your definition would be self realization of disproportionate fear. All of the other descriptions seem to characterize different levels of intensity.

When referring to those who express extreme displeasure concerning anything they consider a weapon (since they do not feel we have a right to arm ourselves), it keeps us from getting multiple infractions for calling them a..holes. :rolleyes: Pacifists are parasites! :mad: They enjoy freedoms purchased in blood by those who fight but will not do so themselves (thereby keeping their precious little butts safe).:poop:

We are in the wrong forum for a political discussion. At any rate, I do not see the term itself as a specific political mindset, or as something necessarily defined by politics at all. It is more of a go-along-to-get-along attitude, when it gets to the extent that one is willing to give up their individual identity for the sake of conformity.

n2s

Mbkryan, IMO, the only thing separating many people's fear of knives using your definition would be self realization of disproportionate fear. All of the other descriptions seem to characterize different levels of intensity.
Right. It's the intensity that makes it clinically significant/a disorder. Someone who simply doesn't like knives is not experiencing a disorder (though we here on the forum may disagree ). Someone who experiences overwhelming anxiety at the sight of a knife and avoids knives to the extent that it has serious consequences on health, job, relationship, etc. is likely dealing with a phobia.

This will most likely get a tad political, so before it gets locked I'll add my couple pennies.
I think sheeple refers to those who have literally no idea what to be afraid of, but are told what to be afraid of.
Since they were told by someone with some power, govt or media, it must be true, right??
It is now firmly entrenched in their minds and no amount of prying will ever get it out.
No experience or knowledge at all, but they KNOW it to be true.
Sheeple.
Joe

I think the term sheeple is invariably an attempt for the insecure to feel superior to someone regardless of which group is using it or why.

And also, in the "knife world"

1) Its an excuse for acting like an obnoxious ass with knives: "I whipped out my CS XXXXL Stabinator at Applebees to open a pack of saltines and all the sheeple looked at me like I was an obnoxious ass."

You know how you use a knife? Use it like you have used one before.

and also

2) Its a misundertanding of peoples' reactions: "I whipped out my CS XXXXL Stabinator at the family reunion my sheeple grandma looked at me and shook her head."

pssst. That's not why she shook her head. Grandpa fought in the war, had 8 kids, made grandma very happy, and felt no need to carry anything more than a Case Peanut. That was a "poor boy" head shake.

That said, of course there are people with irrational bias against any knife that is outside the kitchen. A little education very very often changes their mind...and in fact, then they want a knife of their own...they always did. :)

But this thing of just calling them "sheeple"? Remember what Shakespeare wrote:

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our sheeple
But in ourselves, "

Good point, as usual Marcie!
Reminds me of a member that posted he got some disapproving glances when he was in a doctor's waiting room cleaning his fingernails with a Para 2.
He couldn't understand......it's just a tool, right???
Wrong!!! They were grossed out by what you were doing. Not that you had a knife on you.
Ugh
Joe

And also, in the "knife world"

1) Its an excuse for acting like an obnoxious ass with knives: "I whipped out my CS XXXXL Stabinator at Applebees to open a pack of saltines and all the sheeple looked at me like I was an obnoxious ass."

You know how you use a knife? Use it like you have used one before.

and also

2) Its a misundertanding of peoples' reactions: "I whipped out my CS XXXXL Stabinator at the family reunion my sheeple grandma looked at me and shook her head."

pssst. That's not why she shook her head. Grandpa fought in the war, had 8 kids, made grandma very happy, and felt no need to carry anything more than a Case Peanut. That was a "poor boy" head shake.

That said, of course there are people with irrational bias against any knife that is outside the kitchen. A little education very very often changes their mind...and in fact, then they want a knife of their own...they always did. :)

But this thing of just calling them "sheeple"? Remember what Shakespeare wrote:

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our sheeple
But in ourselves, "

It is clearly a pejorative. It is meant to be derogatory. I generally try to avoid blatantly insulting people with derogatory statements.

There is a time and a place, and an audience, for terms that are both puns and gentle denigration, and they are used in all walks of life. "Sheeple" is a rather gentle one, at least as I try to use it. Personally, I use it exclusively here among people who know what I am talking about and how I am using it - primarily old timers of the forum ( not just limited to this forum but much of the knife community) for whom it is a shorthand for the long conversation we've had about this for many years. It isn't meant to describe anyone who has a decent respect and a little fear of any potential weapon, and I emphasize potential, and that includes the person more than the knife. This is our main point. It is the person, and the context. The term is meant to describe those people who have an often politically motivated and always disportionate reflexive fear of any knife even in a perfectly reasonable situation. Like the reflexive fear of all guns in any private hands, where the termsheeple is used by those folks in their own shorthand way - but it's much the same with all kinds of sheeple.. Someone who buys the hysteria about automatic knives being evil incarnate probably learned it in the promo to Reefer Madness, or at some political correctness rally. More sheep than people, in their thinking: hence, sheeple.
It is a shorthand because the folks here if not necessarily agreeing with the argument usually recognize what is meant by the term. Most of us have experienced it.

I agree without question that it's far better to educate than insult. But when they can't hear you because they are going bah, bah,bah too loud, you tend to get frustrated and call them sheeple. ;)

Last edited:
I think it's one of those tired words like "Drinking the Kool-Aid," "tactical," etc. that had a meaning once and have since been over- and misused so much that they've become devoid of useful meaning.

It's situational, however if someone expresses fear, exasperation, or makes a derogatory remark about a tool that is being used as a tool then they are worthy of the term. It has nothing to do with the distance or proximity in which they feel comfortable. Many that I've dealt with over the years simply do not see the need for a knife at all, to them anything more than a butter knife is unnecessary and often times I've asked them point blank and their answer is always goes something like this... ANYONE who carries a knife on themselves is crazy or radical and a danger to society -their words not mine.

So many people today follow the popular crowd and it's opinion however misinformed it maybe- hence the term sheeple. If one cannot or refuses to think for themselves about an object or a situation they are in fact a sheeple.

This works for me. I see "sheeple" as an informal term to describe those who apparently refuse to think for themselves.

I think the term is more political, suggesting blind/ignorant subordinanc to a disagreeable political ideology. Technically, we may all be sheeple of some sort if we have an openion that is influenced by an ideology, I guess?

...Often times it's used to imply that one person is a leader and one is a follower when in reality it is just two individuals with different perspectives.
I think most understand the term and either choose to use it or not. It can apply to just about anything with regard to people and their use of tools (knives, firearms, or tools in general), leadership, politics, and so forth. As mentioned, it is situational. I think most of us are "sheeple" with regard to one thing or another.

I don't see it as a purely negative term or I would not use it. It would only be considered negative or derogatory in the sense that I disagree with someone's pragmatism, ideology, and so forth. It is an often attempt to catagorize a group of individuals who disagree with something that you consider important. After all, only a leader or thinking person would have your view. ;)

Last edited:
We are in the wrong forum for a political discussion. At any rate, I do not see the term itself as a specific political mindset, or as something necessarily defined by politics at all. It is more of a go-along-to-get-along attitude, when it gets to the extent that one is willing to give up their individual identity for the sake of conformity.

n2s
You are correct that this probably isn't the place, but it does affect most knife people and I thought those who use the term should explain why and how so those who condemn know what they condemn.

Politics and crazy are supposed to be confined to the PA

Good point, as usual Marcie!
Reminds me of a member that posted he got some disapproving glances when he was in a doctor's waiting room cleaning his fingernails with a Para 2.
He couldn't understand......it's just a tool, right???
Wrong!!! They were grossed out by what you were doing. Not that you had a knife on you.
Ugh
Joe

Precisely. It's so often knuckleheads like that are the ones running around shouting "sheeple" AND, at the same time, are the very ones who are making people think negatively about knives and the people who carry them.

I work in an office in high rise building in a major metro area that has strong politcal leanings, so I should be smack dab in the middle of "sheeple" central. Ground zero. Use my knives openly, even at work, and I have never, ever met one.

Precisely. It's so often knuckleheads like that are the ones running around shouting "sheeple" AND, at the same time, are the very ones who are making people think negatively about knives and the people who carry them.

I work in an office in high rise building in a major metro area that has strong politcal leanings, so I should be smack dab in the middle of "sheeple" central. Ground zero. Use my knives openly, even at work, and I have never, ever met one.
They must be grazing somewhere else.

I do not believe this is political and think it belongs right where it is. :thumbsup: It relates to attitudes not political beliefs; though they do frequently merge. To send it to a less viewed forum would cut back on the number of members who would see it and choose to participate. :thumbsdown: Perhaps a more appropriate term might emerge or, at least, a better understanding of the one being discussed. :cool: We are also finding out quite a bit about each other which may not have previously been known. ;)

If you're talking to someone who doesn't agree with you, it's even more important to be respectful. Maybe you'll change your mind; maybe they'll change theirs. But there's no way that's going to happen if you start off with a wall in between you.

Someone who is afraid of knives looks at you and thinks "lunatic survivalist." You look at them and think "stupid sheeple." How is this going to to help the situation? Finding common ground is the only way to move the conversation forward.

Avoiding easy and cheap stereotypes is the first step in making that connection.

I think it is a descriptive term used to categorize a segment of the population. The term itself is a mutation of the wolf, sheepdog, and sheep analogy penned in On Combat (LCol. D. Grossman, 2004). The object appears to be more dangerous as a weapon than useful as a tool, thus creating fear and mistrust. There are plenty of similar examples online of surveys on folks not familiar with firearms on variables such as: more safe, more powerful, should be legal, should not be legal. As an example, people would be shown a S&W M&P15-22 (.22lr) and a Remington 700BDL (.308) and asked which one was more powerful. Needless to say, the .308 lost the battle of opinion. I wouldn’t want to get into a fight with someone wielding a Wusthof 9’ Chef knife, but it’s more acceptable to a soccer mom than a Randall Model 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back