Can I see your knife

Final Option

Gold Member
I just came home from a graduation party, and while there an uncle walked up to me and saw my pocket clip on the outside of my pants and said "can I see your knife ?" I reluctantly pulled out my Hinderer XM 18 3.5 inch non flipper with black G 10 scale with stonewashed blade and Ti lockside scale. He asked if he could hold it, I was apprehensive but handed him my knife. He asked how to open it and I showed him how the thumbstubs easily deploy the blade. He looked it over thoroughly and commented on the construction, fit and finish. He then had to test the sharpness on removing some arm hair. He asked me where one could find a knife of this quality and heft. He said he never saw a knife built like this and saw the Hinderer name on the Ti scale. I told him how difficult it is to find and purchase this knife. He said I don't know how much it cost you, but I know quality when I see it and whatever you paid it was well worth it and is a wonderful knife to own.

He is 75 years old and a retired machinist. I did not cut anything with it today, but the conversation and connection with my uncle was priceless!

Great story, nice to meet another person that appreciates a well made knife.

That was a great story. I was afraid the story would end with him cutting himself or dropping the knife.

Great story, well told. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see where it went. Nice head nod at the end.

Machinists recognize the quality and skill of their trade. Good story, now I hope he is on the quest to own one for himself. Even if not, at least you were able to share this moment with him.

Thank you all for such gracious comments, there is such a great feeling knowing you have a Hinderer, if you have to explain it to others they would not understand. Carrying this knife now has elavated my feelings since meeting Rick, Rob and the crew at Blade. What they are doing in the shop and with people they come into contact is really special!
Joe

nice story:thumbup: i too thought this was going to end up with a " and then he dropped it, or and then he tried cutting a brick" :p

When i first met rob at a show, i didn't know enough about the Hinderer crew to really appreciate the brand. Though after being around the forums and seeing what they do for the community, armed forces and such, it really does give you a better sense of appreciation when you own a Hinderer. I hope i can make it to another show soon, or even better attend one of their classes or get together over in the buckeye state.

I was blessed to have some Old, Wise "Men" in my Life as I grew up ...... sadly they have all passed and I miss them.
You are indeed blessed to have such a Man as your Uncle. Enjoy your time with him.

Rubi I also have had elders that pointed me in the right direction, unfortunately some have also passed that is why I cheerish moments like the recent one with my uncle.
Thanks Joe

Back