1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Can you thin Tru-Oil

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Fish30114, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Fish30114

Fish30114 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I bought a 32 oz container of Tru-Oil and it has thickened up a good bit sitting in the bottle--I am wondering if anyone know what might be used to thin it back out??

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. kuraki

kuraki KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 17, 2016
    Mineral spirits.

3. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    I find mineral spirits I get pretty oily,

I like to dilute with a hotter solvent that evaporates better and the finish seems to get harder.

I use acetone, but turpentine. probably do the same.

4. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Isn't turpentine a component of the traditional oil finishes like the ones that Purdey and Holland and Holland use?

5. Fish30114

Jan 5, 2014
    Well I've got mineral spirits, don't know where I'd find turpentine--guess I'll look at HD and my local hardware store.

6. AVigil

AVigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Both Turpentine and Mineral spirits will work.

it is better to buy it in small bottles and keep the air out by adding marbles to the bottle.

7. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    I was just gonna mention the marble trick and Adam beat me to it.

8. Fish30114

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks men, marbles on the Amazon list!

9. Darrin Sanders

Darrin Sanders Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 6, 2009
    Tru-oil is cheap and easy to find. Buy the small bottles and throw it away if it gets too thick. Just my opinion.