Can you thin Tru-Oil

I bought a 32 oz container of Tru-Oil and it has thickened up a good bit sitting in the bottle--I am wondering if anyone know what might be used to thin it back out??

Last edited:
I find mineral spirits I get pretty oily,

I like to dilute with a hotter solvent that evaporates better and the finish seems to get harder.

I use acetone, but turpentine. probably do the same.

Tru oil gets thick quickly when exposed to air, even the air trapped in the bottle once it is opened. This can be some what mitigated when using Tru Oil by quickly taking a small amount from the bottle, replacing that volume with a marble or two to limit the air left in the container and re-closing the container quickly.

Isn't turpentine a component of the traditional oil finishes like the ones that Purdey and Holland and Holland use?

Well I've got mineral spirits, don't know where I'd find turpentine--guess I'll look at HD and my local hardware store.

Both Turpentine and Mineral spirits will work.

it is better to buy it in small bottles and keep the air out by adding marbles to the bottle.

I was just gonna mention the marble trick and Adam beat me to it.

Tru-oil is cheap and easy to find. Buy the small bottles and throw it away if it gets too thick. Just my opinion.

Back