Can't seem to wash my Sebenza.

Howdy folks.

From the combo of living in the country with a pond in my yard, and working in a factory, my Sebenza gets dirty.
But it seems like every time clean it in the sink (or anytime the pivot gets wet), it gets really gritty and the lock sticks, so I take it apart.
I don't mind taking it apart once in a while, but it gets annoying when you're scared to use it because I know I'll have to if it gets dirty.
I hear about alot of folks that never take them apart.
Do you clean it in the sink?
Will mine be fine again once it's dry?
I've never really left it long enough to dry. Maybe that's my problem.
Help!!

I usually tear mine apart. Clean with windex, Dry it off with a rag, and then reassemble with CRK grease or something equivalent. I don't even bother using water and or soap.

Howdy folks.

From the combo of living in the country with a pond in my yard, and working in a factory, my Sebenza gets dirty.
But it seems like every time clean it in the sink (or anytime the pivot gets wet), it gets really gritty and the lock sticks, so I take it apart.
I don't mind taking it apart once in a while, but it gets annoying when you're scared to use it because I know I'll have to if it gets dirty.
I hear about alot of folks that never take them apart.
Do you clean it in the sink?
Will mine be fine again once it's dry?
I've never really left it long enough to dry. Maybe that's my problem.
Help!!

I wash all of my CRKs all the time in the sink under hot water with mild soap. No problem. The grit is usually a dirty track for the detent ball and sometimes washing with plain water seems to make this worse. It helps to use hand-soap to loosen any accumulated gunk on the track and ensure the ceramic ball can slide freely over the steel (which it will without grease). The grease stays well enough in the pivot even with regular washing due to the nature of the CRK Teflon lube.. After a couple years of this behaviour all I have to show for it are super smooth knives, no rust, no issues. I would guess you are not cleaning it enough, and there is no reason to break it down all the often.

Try washing it with hand soap and see if that works.

I rinse 'em with nice hot water when the pivots get dirty.

The action feels like crap immediately afterwards.

The action returns to silky smooth after everything is totally dry.

When I wash any of my knives I use an old toothbrush to get out all the grit, while using hot water and lots of soap. I then use a hair dryer to get everything water-free, add a little lube or oil and it is and good to go! I only take my Sebenzas apart when really needed, between 6 months and a year.

I wash all of my CRKs all the time in the sink under hot water with mild soap. No problem. The grit is usually a dirty track for the detent ball and sometimes washing with plain water seems to make this worse. It helps to use hand-soap to loosen any accumulated gunk on the track and ensure the ceramic ball can slide freely over the steel (which it will without grease). The grease stays well enough in the pivot even with regular washing due to the nature of the CRK Teflon lube.. After a couple years of this behaviour all I have to show for it are super smooth knives, no rust, no issues. I would guess you are not cleaning it enough, and there is no reason to break it down all the often.

Try washing it with hand soap and see if that works.
I forgot to mention that I thought it was the detent track. But still, I didn't know why this was happening. I'll try the soap thing thanks.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I thought it was the detent track. But still, I didn't know why this was happening. I'll try the soap thing thanks.

And dry completely or allow to dry completely, I think you'll be amazed at the smoothness when the innards are no longer wet.

I usually take my Seb 21 apart every 2 months and give it a full wash. Never have any problems when it goes back together. I do make sure it is bone dry when it goes back together.

I hit my XM with air gun after rinsing, removes all moisture from lock and pivot. Smooth opening and lockup are the results.

For whatever reason(s) ive never had to take my Sebby25 down nearly as much as i do my 21's? The 25 just seems to stay smooth waaaay longer. With that said, im one of those who is timid to actually run water and soap thru a fully assembled knife...guess im just scared of corrosion?

Does this method actually bring the same type of smoothness back to the knife as if it was fully dissasembeled?

For whatever reason(s) ive never had to take my Sebby25 down nearly as much as i do my 21's? The 25 just seems to stay smooth waaaay longer. With that said, im one of those who is timid to actually run water and soap thru a fully assembled knife...guess im just scared of corrosion?

Does this method actually bring the same type of smoothness back to the knife as if it was fully dissasembeled?

I would say nothing is as glassy-smooth as a freshly greased knife, as right after a rebuild the layer of grease in the pivot has not displaced at all, but I find this level of smooth goes away in the first couple hours anyway. To maintain the famous CRK "hydraulic smoothness", washing is adequate I find., and solves most "gritty" issues without a tear-down.

I agree the 25 is a smooth knife for a long time. I think it has to do with the detent ball being larger and less easily fouled. As I've often stated on this site, my opinion is that the smoothness of a CRK knife is more attributed to the sliding of the detent ball over the blade stock, than anything to do with the washers or pivot.

I would say nothing is as glassy-smooth as a freshly greased knife, as right after a rebuild the layer of grease in the pivot has not displaced at all, but I find this level of smooth goes away in the first couple hours anyway. To maintain the famous CRK "hydraulic smoothness", washing is adequate I find., and solves most "gritty" issues without a tear-down.

I agree the 25 is a smooth knife for a long time. I think it has to do with the detent ball being larger and less easily fouled. As I've often stated on this site, my opinion is that the smoothness of a CRK knife is more attributed to the sliding of the detent ball over the blade stock, than anything to do with the washers or pivot.

The position of the 25's detent ball on the blade probably contributes to that as well, way out on the edge.

Looks like I'll be ok.
Next time it gets dirty I'll go for it and let it dry first.

Any rust issues afterwards?

Looks like I'll be ok.
Next time it gets dirty I'll go for it and let it dry first.

Any rust issues afterwards?

I have had no issues with any S35VN CRK rusting or getting a patina. I am not at all fussy with them. They hit the pocket wet when hiking, cut tomatoes and lemons, and get washed often, with basic effort to dry (quick shake and wipe.....that's it). Never any problems.

Titanium, good stainless steel and bronze (washers) construction means much less chance of corrosion.

Chris has stated that coming from S. Africa with an ocean environment made him want to utilize materials that were much more impervious to corrosion than most other knives.

I do the following with all my folders, be it slipjoint, washers or IKBS.

1. Use WARM soapy water and a toothbrush to scrub.
2. Shake to dry
3. Spray with some WD 40 if required repeat 1-2.
4. Few drops of Sewing Machine oil in the pivot and on the detent ball.

Bladeboss, you may try using compressed air often to keep the grit out, if you don't have time to wash it. Surely you have access to an air compressor, you mentioned working in a factory and living in the country.

Titanium, good stainless steel and bronze (washers) construction means much less chance of corrosion.

Chris has stated that coming from S. Africa with an ocean environment made him want to utilize materials that were much more impervious to corrosion than most other knives.

Yes - this is quite true. I lost my Large '02 Starts and Stripes Sebenza for over 1 year. Really ticket me off - for all sorts of reasons... and then one day while working the yard - there she is - laying under a bush I had trimmed the year before. Outside in Minnesota for over a year. She was a little muddy and dirty - but I took her inside and cleaned her off - prefect. No stains or corrosion... nothing - like new !

This is why a quality knife is really nice :)

Last edited:
Yes - this is quite true. I lost my Large '02 Starts and Stripes Sebenza for over 1 year. Really ticket me off - for all sorts of reasons... and then one day while working the yard - there she is - laying under a bush I had trimmed the year before. Outside in Minnesota for over a year. She was a little muddy and dirty - but I took her inside and cleaned her off - prefect. No stains or corrosion... nothing - like new !

This is why a quality knife is really nice :)

Oh, that would hurt to lose one of them! So glad you found that pretty!

Back