Care Of Horn Handles

Hi Uncle Bill & All:

I'm just throwing this out: Maybe useful, maybe not.

I recently acquired an older khukuri on e-bay (a badge from the Second Ghurka Rifles was included in the sale - see posting by Uncle Bill "Another Field Report Which Is Pretty Funny).

When the K arrived it was exactly as described. After the transaction was completed, the seller, whose integrity is, I believe, beyond question, was kind enough to send me as much of the history of the K as he had learned.

Since it is intended to be a display piece, I thought a little careful cleaning and preservation was in order. The blade is in good shape, no rust and just a little staining. A application of Brasso followed with silicone oil took care of that. Ditto for the brass fittings. The scabbard needed on a modest application of Kiwi polish. The horn handle was my problem. It appeared to be on the dry side, with one crack, long since repaired (material unknown)on the underside near the battcap.

I was explaining the need of preventing further cracking to my wife, and mentioned Hooflex. I also mention that it was a bit on the expensive side. She asked my what was in it, ground pearls? I told her that, as far as I knew, the major ingredient was lanolin. She laughed, went to the bathroom, and handed me a tube of Alberto VO5 Hair Conditioner. She carefully explained that this stuff was almost pure lanolin in a jell form, and darned sure didn't cost $25.00 a tube.

I gave this some thought: hoofs, horn and hair are basically the same material. She uses it to counteract the drying effect of the Florida sun, which can suck moisture from a prune. So far her hair looks pretty good. I applied a little of stuff this to the handle and rubbed it in with a soft cloth. The handle looked much happier, and took on a soft satin sheen.

Any comments from the experts?

JimF

If the VO5 stuff is mostly lanolin I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Of course, ground up pearls would put a certain sheen on the handle that VO 5 wouldn't.

If it is absorbed by the horn, it is like chicken soup (it couldn't hoit :)). The hoof preparations may/might provide more protection or penetration, since they are formulated for a heavier-duty purpose, but who is to say? One thought just popped up - don't even know if it is valid - The Hooflex, etc., may offer more of a seal when they have dried, but not necessarily. HHHMMMmmm.....maybe I should have tried Brylcream before I blew all that moolah on horsey stuff:D

Actually, this thread has motivated me to start using Hooflex on my hair. I think the ground pearls would give the gray a nice sparkle.

There's no business like show business.

I can show them the bad back, bad knee, bad ankle shuffle~

Back to horn handles ;)....

Originally posted by JimF

I was explaining the need of preventing further cracking to my wife, and mentioned Hooflex. I also mention that it was a bit on the expensive side. She asked my what was in it, ground pearls? I told her that, as far as I knew, the major ingredient was lanolin. She laughed, went to the bathroom, and handed me a tube of Alberto VO5 Hair Conditioner. She carefully explained that this stuff was almost pure lanolin in a jell form, and darned sure didn't cost $25.00 a tube.

I gave this some thought: hoofs, horn and hair are basically the same material. She uses it to counteract the drying effect of the Florida sun, which can suck moisture from a prune.

I'm not an expert on such things - I'd trust the advice of Walosi et al - but so far as I know lanolin is really the active ingredient in Hooflex. Hooflex isn't cheap, but it's probably cheaper than the hair conditioner. I bought a 340g/12oz bottle of Hooflex for US$7.45+tax. My guess is that anything marketed towards people is going to be more expensive than things marketed towards animals--at $25/tube it'd be pretty expensive to treat your horse's hooves.

Though when I bought it, the man asked me was it for horses or for people. Apparently there's a similar lanolin-ish (expensive) product out there for treating fingernails, i.e. if one has a probable with brittle, breakable nails -- which makes a lot of sense, hooves & finger-nails (or claws--like a those of a cat--if you happen to have them) should be basically the same material.

The finger-nail gel is, being marketed towards people, probably US$25 for a 1.5" tube -- but people have figured out that Hooflex works justs as well as whatever the other is, and at a fraction of the price (the moral of the story is that caring for your horn handles will also make your fingernails nice ;) ). So that's why the shop-keeper was asking me.

So actually hooves, hair and finger-nails are actually all basically the same stuff. But it's still probably cheaper to get some Hooflex (and less risky than using up all of your wife's special hair conditioning gel ;) ).

B.

I'd rather keep the products and subjects seperate - imagine the complications of mentioning, say at a party, your wife and "hoof care" in the same sentence. I'd rather not go there :eek:

The tub of Hooflex I got was 13 bux for 800g. It's only about 12% lanolin. It doesn't smell very good. :( It's labeled as "complete veterinary hoof conditioner. They also make a moisturizing cream It's labeled "great for hand and hoof". It has a more soapy odour. I've also heard people using "bag balm" for skin to make it soft. It also has lanolin.

Where can I get a tube of pure lanolin?

www.absorbine.com

The Corona product, labeled "Corona Antiseptic Ointment" and for "horses, cattle and small pets" contains 50% lanolin. The antiseptic is "oxyquinoline" (0.11%) and might not be a bad idea on an imported animal product (real HIKV ?) Along with those are petrolatum, beeswax and sodium borate. The only reason (I think) for sticking to the "hoof" products is the seal they provide after final drying, and that they are formulated as a preservative/dressing for a more similar substance.

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
The tub of Hooflex I got was 13 bux for 800g. It's only about 12% lanolin. It doesn't smell very good. :( It's labeled as "complete veterinary hoof conditioner. They also make a moisturizing cream It's labeled "great for hand and hoof". It has a more soapy odour. I've also heard people using "bag balm" for skin to make it soft. It also has lanolin.

Where can I get a tube of pure lanolin?

www.absorbine.com

how do you know the lanolin %? my bottle doesn't say - though lanolin is the 2nd ingredient (after water).

(also, reading the instructions on the bottle - can someone tell me what a 'frog' is, when it refers to a horse's hoof?)

B.

The "frog" (no relation) is the rubbery, cushioned area behind the hoof. It contains the nerves and vessels which feed the hoof, and can become very sensitive, like the "quick", under our nails.

Originally posted by Yvsa

Squeeze the living hay'ull outta a sheep.:p :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :D

I don't think the sheep will apreciate that :) Maybe I could get some tongue oil and some neat foot oil at the same time :D

The tub of Hooflex I got (veterinary) had the percentage of the magic lanolin on the lid. :eek: The Hooflex for hooves and hands had no such label. :(

A quick search turned this up. Doesn't look to expensive to me.:)
Here's the address for the whole website.

http://pbshorsehealth.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/?E+scstore

This is just the hooflex page itself. Lots of good products for horses it appears.

Search for:

Ariat Boots
Blankets
Books & Videos
Fly/Pest Control
Grooming
Horse Health
Stable Supplies
Supplements
Tack & Riding
Vaccines
Western Bags
Wormers

All items shipped prepaid (within the continental USA) unless shown as FOB.
·Terms of Sale
·Printable Order Form

Your 100% Secure Shopping Cart: $0.00

Show Cart · Checkout

Hooflex Conditioner
W.F. Young
Creates a breathable barrier of mineral oil and neatsfoot oil to promote proper moisture balance in all parts of the hoof. Antibacterial and antifungal agents help prevent infection. Conditions the coronary band, hoof wall, frog and sole so the hoof can absorb shock without cracking. Available in original Ointment or Liquid.

Ointment

545-7659 ....14 oz............. $6.99

Quantity:
545-7660 ....28 oz............. $10.89

Quantity:
545-7670 ....7 lbs............. $24.19

FOB Ship Weight Each 8 lbs

Quantity:
Liquid

545-7655 ....15 oz w/applicator............. $7.79

Quantity:
Hooflex Dressing
All-natural hoof dressing with ingredients known to help promote shiny, healthy hooves. Contains healing herbs that stimulate circulation and improve hoof growth. No artificial chemicals or dyes. Natural vegetable oils penetrate fast, leaving no greasy residue.
545-7656 ....30 oz w/applicato............. $12.99

Quantity:

Phone Orders and Questions: 800-321-0235 Fax Orders: 330-492-1516
PBS Horse Health USA, PO Box 9101, Canton, Ohio 44711-9101
email: info@pbshorsehealth.com

Entire site copyright 2001.

Back